• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Send-offs and Sledging

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The very first thing i've noticed about cricket in the U.K is that it's totally unacceptable for even a friendly 'banter' sledge, which i think made the games feel like they were missing something. I even encouraged the keeper to have a dig when i mistimed one and he didn't.
Seriously? I play at a completely budget level and there's always a reasonable bit of banter.

My personal favourites are when you get the 15/16 year olds who think they are the next big thing, oblivious to the fact that they are in Division 10. Last game of the summer, we were bowled out for 75 on a track that behaved much like a freshly ploughed field, and one individual appeared rather keen on having a word with us every ball, and telling the entire tail that they looked nervous. Naturally, when it was his turn to bat, with the scoreboard reading 16 for 6, we treated him to a reprise of his lines, and I added a ball-by-ball dissection of his batting technique for no extra cost. He didn't trouble the scorers.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Personally I never really used to mind send-offs.

I always thought sledging was a little cheap (not that I didnt partake). Abusing a guy to try and get him out didnt really sit well with me. Kind of devalued the wicket. However once he was out and I had won then it became fair. I didnt like abusing him to disrupt the contest between bat and ball but once the victor I could then freely them him what I thought of him.

I never had a problem telling a batsman to "**** off" once he was out as my job was done and I had won.

TBH, I dont really like either now though

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, send-offs are seen as much worse generally. Unless the batter in question was lairing at shot-leg or silly mid for your innings, getting in your lugs at every opportunity. Then, **** him.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Seriously? I play at a completely budget level and there's always a reasonable bit of banter.

My personal favourites are when you get the 15/16 year olds who think they are the next big thing, oblivious to the fact that they are in Division 10. Last game of the summer, we were bowled out for 75 on a track that behaved much like a freshly ploughed field, and one individual appeared rather keen on having a word with us every ball, and telling the entire tail that they looked nervous. Naturally, when it was his turn to bat, with the scoreboard reading 16 for 6, we treated him to a reprise of his lines, and I added a ball-by-ball dissection of his batting technique for no extra cost. He didn't trouble the scorers.
:laugh:

Lower-level league cricket (a subject about which I too know a fair bit) in a beautifully-described nutshell.

I always gave a bit in the field but I can't remember ever thinking "well those well-aimed jibes took that wicket". In fact the bloke who copped most flak from us during games was our own captain, whose captaincy, batting, bowling and fielding were in a constant contest for the wooden spoon. We gave him hell. I'd like to think that, in his case, we did succeed in undermining his performance.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
True sledging is done with humour. If the batsman can have a laugh it really makes for an enjoyable day (especialy if you play in a team that gets belted each day). When things get personal or sledges are directed straight at a player that is when things can get ugly. The most that should be said to a batsman when they get out is, "It was only a matter of time."

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
True sledging is done with humour. If the batsman can have a laugh it really makes for an enjoyable day (especialy if you play in a team that gets belted each day). When things get personal or sledges are directed straight at a player that is when things can get ugly. The most that should be said to a batsman when they get out is, "It was only a matter of time."
Yeah, this. That's what it's like for my Sunday XI most weeks and it is good fun.
With the league side it's a lot more serious and competitive but there is the occassional bit of sledging.
Don't appreciate send offs myself, though I did give one particular guy a rather long one myself. Was in reply to him telling me "You deserve that you ****ing ****" when I got out to a tam hook shot facing him. Did enjoy getting him c&b in their innings, even if he launched me for 6 the ball before. Made it better in fact, smug wanker.