• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shabash! Pakistan

James

Cricket Web Owner
Shabash! Pakistan
Kennington Oval, 17th August 1954. A great bowler surveys the scene of what was, perhaps, his greatest triumph. In this feature CricketWeb tells the story of a unique victory.

by Martin Chandler

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Lovely. Brought memories of the first Test I ever saw 49 years ago. Four of these Pakistanis Fazal, Hanif, Imtiaz and Mehmood Hussain played then and two others Alimuddin and Shujauddin were in the squad.

A small suggestion if you please. Could we have a better picture of Fazal. I could scan and post one (or more) if you want.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Long Before Imran khan came, there was this man named AH Kardar who built and shaped Pakistan Cricket. Great Article, it was like reading a chapter from the history of Pakistan Cricket. Thank You.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A small suggestion if you please. Could we have a better picture of Fazal. I could scan and post one (or more) if you want.
I originally wanted one of Kardar and Fazal together but couldn't find one and my pc skills are not sufficient to enable me to "create" one - so I chose the one I did because its actually taken at the Oval after the win but, as you say, its not the best, so do feel free to post a different one

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I originally wanted one of Kardar and Fazal together but couldn't find one and my pc skills are not sufficient to enable me to "create" one - so I chose the one I did because its actually taken at the Oval after the win but, as you say, its not the best, so do feel free to post a different one
I certainly have a very good one of him somewhere coming back to the pavilion in that very game. Let me try and find it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here you are. The caption reads. . .

Midway to a sensation, Fazal ascends the Oval steps after helping to dismiss England for 130 in their first innings of the 1954 Test match

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
An entertaining read once again, fred. The background data gives the article a nice sense of context. I knew Pakistan won a test here on their first tour, for instance, but not that they had such a long wait for their second victory. I'm really enjoying CW tackling the classics.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here you are. The caption reads. . .

Midway to a sensation, Fazal ascends the Oval steps after helping to dismiss England for 130 in their first innings of the 1954 Test match

I've tried without success to change this SJS - either my knowledge of Berita is insufficient (highly likely) and/or the image needs resizing (also likely I suspect) - if you know how please have a go :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I've tried without success to change this SJS - either my knowledge of Berita is insufficient (highly likely) and/or the image needs resizing (also likely I suspect) - if you know how please have a go :)
Ok Let me give it a try

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry mate it doesn't seem to work. Its not the size of the picture. It is something else. It just keeps showing no image selected. I tried to see if the problem is only with this feature by rying to change the image for Sehwag in my Bradman to Sehwag (part 2) piece and I have lost that image too.Now it doen't go back.

I think we need to ask someone at CW for help.