• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gavaskar on the Broads

shivfan

Banned
An interesting article....

Sunil Gavaskar alleges nexus over Stuart Broad non-action | Cricket News | South Africa v England 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

"Stuart's father Chris is one of ICC's match referees and so the umpires are reluctant to make a complaint against the youngster," wrote Gavaskar in his column for Mid-Day, an Indian daily. "Remember the umpires and match referees are used to hanging out together in the evenings since they are in a foreign country and so forge a good relationship and obviously the umpires are not looking to spoil that by citing the young Broad for a violation of the code of conduct." Gavaskar said the latest instance in South Africa, when Stuart was involved in an ugly on-field exchange with the umpires after being given out lbw following a delayed review from the South Africans, was just one among a long list. "He knows he can get away with it and indeed he has," Gavaskar wrote. "Stuart has been quoted as saying he didn't think he had done anything wrong in questioning the umpires decision to refer the appeal to the third umpire since he thought that it hadn't come in the expected time but a bit later than is normally the case and therein has confirmed again that he thinks he is a special case and not on par with the rest of the cricketing world."

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Must admit I initially read the thread title as "Gavaskar on the Boards" and thought he was now posting on CW, so was a bit let down when I opened it. :mellow: :p

But, on the off chance he ever does join CW: Sunny, get your head out of your arse, son.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
While what Gavaskar says may or may not be right, he is not making himself popular with these comments.

I dont like reading Gavaskar because without seeing the foam frothing from his mouth and his face all red with his wildly darting eyes the story just dosent appeal as much. But I think his point is umpires should not be allowed to have contact outside the game and kept in isolation. I think he also disaproves of umpires family playing cricket.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Gavaskar once again speaks about what millions of cricket fans all over the world are thinking.

Sir Alex

Banned
Match referees are a joke these days. Today we had Javagal Srinath commenting nonchalantly that the match between Ind and SL should be continued on the nearby pitch. :laugh: And there are totally incompetent ones like Chris Broad and Proctor (who is now not in office). Gavaskar's views are as usual over the top but one can understand the source of his rant.

Match referees are a joke these days. Today we had Javagal Srinath commenting nonchalantly that the match between Ind and SL should be continued on the nearby pitch. :laugh: And there are totally incompetent ones like Chris Broad and Proctor (who is now not in office). Gavaskar's views are as usual over the top but one can understand the source of his rant.
Isnt the source of his rant the plumb LBW he got against Lillee, maybe the ICC should invoke a rule that allows them to overturn a decision from years ago to allow Gavaskar to have a peaceful life.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Credit to Sunny, who's had his first non-race based whinge in quite some time. I think that skull cap he used to wear was a bit too tight.

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
I don't know what Gavaskar is saying is right or not but Broad has gotten away with **** other players wouldn't. Gavaskar is not very PC is he....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yesterday we had friends over for dinner and one of them started of on how these guys get away with murder and gave the example of what Gavaskar had written. I hadn't heard of the issue before but immediately recognised this as the sort of thing Gavaskar would write. This is what I told my friend.

"The issue is not whether or not Broad should be/have been disciplined or taken to task now or in the past on more than one occasion. The problem with what Mr Gavaskar is saying is the insinuation that his father is the reason that this is so. This is just the kind of reverse racism that Gavaskar, Imran Khan, Bedi, and many other sub continental senior cricketers love indulging in. The fact that you are sitting here repeating what he wrote shows that he knows his audience and that the damage is done."

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
When certain moron referees openly come out an admit they use a different standard to judge players based on nationality, it doesn't exactly do anything to alleviate those conceptions, to be honest.