• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gavaskar on the Broads

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Harsha Bogle rapidly turning from a decent bloke who felt unbridled love for the game and privileged to be commentating on it to a never-played-but-a-know-all-smart-arse.

Tis a shame. Seems he's becoming to cricket what Ray Hadley is to NRL commentary.
To be/wanting-to-be a know-all-smart-ass is what has ruined his otherwise pretty decent writings on the game. He wasn't always like this though.

As for never having played the game, it is something that seems to bug him quite a bit and comes out in subtle ways if you listen/read carefully to what he says/writes. There are frequent references to what one did at school, what one's sports teacher said, or what happened in house games in a mildly self-deprecating manner of someone who used to be proud of having played for his house once but now in the company of cricketing giants....

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be/wanting-to-be a know-all-smart-ass is what has ruined his otherwise pretty decent writings on the game. He wasn't always like this though.

As for never having played the game, it is something that seems to bug him quite a bit and comes out in subtle ways if you listen/read carefully to what he says/writes. There are frequent references to what one did at school, what one's sports teacher said, or what happened in house games in a mildly self-deprecating manner of someone who used to be proud of having played for his house once but now in the company of cricketing giants....
Yeah, that's the impression I get, I must say.

He came here the last two time India toured, iirc, and his radio stuff I found really entertaining, though by last time I found a little of what you've described had begun to creep in.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Amazing the amount of criticism Broad gets for not turning round to the umpire when the batsman was out stone-cold lbw. What about Swann's reaction that was far worse? It's not like he has a match referee father. Sure, Broad needs to calm down slightly, but it's crazy to suggest there's nepotism going on.

Sir Alex

Banned
Amazing the amount of criticism Broad gets for not turning round to the umpire when the batsman was out stone-cold lbw. What about Swann's reaction that was far worse? It's not like he has a match referee father. Sure, Broad needs to calm down slightly, but it's crazy to suggest there's nepotism going on.
Swanneh is forgiven. Swanneh is a god.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That said, Broad's charging-down-the-pitch-assuming-it's-out act has always irritated the hell out of me. It irritated me when McGrath did it, and he was told to stop, and Broad should have been told to stop before now as well. Hopefully this is the last we see of it.
Ind33d. One of the most cringeworthy things I've seen in the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Amazing the amount of criticism Broad gets for not turning round to the umpire when the batsman was out stone-cold lbw. What about Swann's reaction that was far worse?
Swann's reaction was silly and OTT if to some extent understandable, but Broad's repeated flouting of the line (no matter how obvious an lbw is, when it's lbw you are never out until the Umpire gives it so you should always turn around) is, as I say, cringeworthy, and someone should've put a stop to it by now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The running down the wicket and not turning around thing was something Lee, among others, was reprimanded for iirc. To his credit he seemed to get better at it afterwards, generally turned around and asked the question afterwards I think.

Really just a matter of respect for the umpire, surely.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, very fair point. Broad's actions were a little ****ish, but Swanneh giving Siddique the send off was bang out of order. Literally told the kid, who'd just made his maiden ton with his team's backs to the wall, to eff off. Tawdry effort.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, very fair point. Broad's actions were a little ****ish, but Swanneh giving Siddique the send off was bang out of order. Literally told the kid, who'd just made his maiden ton with his team's backs to the wall, to eff off. Tawdry effort.
Yes. I was pleased to read his apology aferwards, but hugely disappointed to see what he did in the first place.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't see that but it does sound, as you say, tawdry.