• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crash Craddock's Top Ten Cricketers of the Decade

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well you've done a decent job of convincing me that they wanted someone who would toe the party-line.
Yeah, two main reasons. Someone with no links to Cronje and that period of SA cricket (clean slate and all that) but more importantly someone that had no power base in the game, no friends amongst the senior players and someone that owed his position to those behind the scenes.

It significantly reduced the power of senior players in favour of the committees and put in place what was effectively a 'puppet' captain that would allow some of the more ambitious and less merit based transformational targets and quotas to be applied. Something that couldnt have happened under a captain with influence within cricket such as Pollock (who I think still may be the most successful SA captain, at least statistically)

Obviously it helped as he was a good player and an establishment guy in so much as he was an Anglo that went to a top school. He was however given the job to enable harder targets to be applied without having to deal with a strong and powerful captain.

ozone

First Class Debutant
As has been said, Sehwag probably deserves a place. Probably in for Hayden IMO, although I have no real problems with Hayden being in his top 10. Flintoff deserves his place on the basis of being such a big part of the biggest series of the decade, in addition to all the other times he stood up and carried England.

As for the order, Gilly or Kallis at the top for mine. Smith would be in my top 10, but only near the bottom of the list.