• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Rules Gentlemen New Rules. . .

archie mac

International Coach
I dont wish to repeat my arguments here but please have a look at these posts

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...al-west-indies-australia-220.html#post2105193

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...al-west-indies-australia-220.html#post2105205

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...al-west-indies-australia-221.html#post2105212

Those are enough proofs of how match referees particularly Broad has been guilty of handling constant troublemakers like Watson with kid gloves.
This sort of thing always amazes me:-O

Before neutral umpires, Australia won because of the cheating home umpires.

Then they had neutral umpires and Aust still won because the international umpires were overwhelmed by the Aust players

Now it seems they are being favoured by the match referees8-) I thought the WI spinner was the worst behaved out of the three main combatants, and he deserved the worst punishment. But tbh I thought they all should have been given a match ban.

Sir Alex

Banned
This sort of thing always amazes me:-O

Before neutral umpires, Australia won because of the cheating home umpires.

Then they had neutral umpires and Aust still won because the international umpires were overwhelmed by the Aust players

Now it seems they are being favoured by the match referees8-) I thought the WI spinner was the worst behaved out of the three main combatants, and he deserved the worst punishment. But tbh I thought they all should have been given a match ban.
Archiemac, I request you to read my posts again. Nowhere I mentioned Australian players of "cheating" or in "collusion" with match referees. All I am saying is there is enough proof of how blatantly easily was Watson let off this time with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. At the cost of repeating myself, this was Watson's 3rd booking in about 13 months and bizzarely he copped a fine lesser than the previous incident. This coupled with McGrath's incident where he let off with a reprimand despite being fined for abusive language two years back shows the fact that match referees are not reading up on players' history or if they are doing that only selectively. I could not find a non-Australian player "enjoying" such ease with law and Code of conduct but I don't blame Australian players. There is no doubt in my mind Benn deserved the ban in his case.

archie mac

International Coach
Archiemac, I request you to read my posts again. Nowhere I mentioned Australian players of "cheating" or in "collusion" with match referees. All I am saying is there is enough proof of how blatantly easily was Watson let off this time with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. At the cost of repeating myself, this was Watson's 3rd booking in about 13 months and bizzarely he copped a fine lesser than the previous incident. This coupled with McGrath's incident where he let off with a reprimand despite being fined for abusive language two years back shows the fact that match referees are not reading up on players' history or if they are doing that only selectively. I could not find a non-Australian player "enjoying" such ease with law and Code of conduct but I don't blame Australian players. There is no doubt in my mind Benn deserved the ban in his case.
My apologies maybe I was drawing a long bow with my comments. But do we know what rules are taken into consideration when handing out fines and or bans?

It might be for instance if a player has not had a further transgression for more than 12 months then his previous offences are not taken into consideration.

Sir Alex

Banned
My apologies maybe I was drawing a long bow with my comments. But do we know what rules are taken into consideration when handing out fines and or bans?

It might be for instance if a player has not had a further transgression for more than 12 months then his previous offences are not taken into consideration.
That might be true but then does not still absolve Broad in case of Watson as his last booking came only 6 months back in Sharjah.

archie mac

International Coach
That might be true but then does not still absolve Broad in case of Watson as his last booking came only 6 months back in Sharjah.
Personally I thought the Watson one in Perth was more of an embarrassment for the bowler then really concerning:laugh:

Sir Alex

Banned
Personally I thought the Watson one in Perth was more of an embarrassment for the bowler then really concerning:laugh:
I concur but then minor transgressions have been dealt far more severely than this. Also a strong message should go out to such guys to grow up! :p

archie mac

International Coach
I concur but then minor transgressions have been dealt far more severely than this. Also a strong message should go out to such guys to grow up! :p
True, although I thought the umpires handled this well, speaking to Watson and then Ponting, who also then had a talk to the bowler.

I thought they handled the Haddin/Johnson one very badly, they seemed happy to let them go on for far too long before chatting them