• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Watson runout - the forensic examination

Midwinter

State Captain
What brought about this "crime" against cricketing good sense ?

1. Was there a call for a run ?

2. Who should have made the call ?

3. Why didn't Watson turn back ?

The third is the most mystifying. If Watson was "ball watching" surely Katich would have been in his line of sight at some point ?

Evidence please !

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was one of those ****ty situations. Was Watto's call so Kat was at fault for ball watching but Watto should have been looking for that so he takes some of the blame. But yeah, in Watto's defence, most blokes would have just kept running through.

Like I said, sucky situation.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Was there a call for a run? No
2. Who's call was it? Was Watson's to make
3. Why didn't Watson turn back? Because his legs were convinced there was a run. He just couldn't convince his mouth to tell Katich to run.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Even though it was the non-strikers call, it was one of those shots that the stiker still had peripheral vision of the fielder. Ball watching is hard to avoid, and in this case it proved hilariously fatal.

Top_Cat

Even though it was the non-strikers call, it was one of those shots that the stiker still had peripheral vision of the fielder. Ball watching is hard to avoid, and in this case it proved hilariously fatal.
Said in two words what I was really trying to say.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From what both players have said in interviews it sounds like watto may have called but due to crowd noise katich didn't hear it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Katich's call all day, every day. Unless the batsman is unsighted and can't see the ball, the non-striker should rely on the batsman's call.

Leave the in front of square/behind square for U/10s where they belong.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Katich's call all day, every day. Unless the batsman is unsighted and can't see the ball, the non-striker should rely on the batsman's call.

TBF to Watson, Katich wandered a third of the way down the pitch without ever looking at his partner

If you take his actions in isolation, you'd swear he was taking off for a run so I cant really blame Watson for "responding"

Dissector

International Debutant
Amusing but not nearly as funny as the Morton-Chanderpaul run-out. Though I suppose the comedic value is doubled just because Watto is involved.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
For Watson fans, it was Katich's fault.
For Katich fans, Watson was in the wrong.
For everyone else, it's ****ing hilarious.

archie mac

International Coach

Simply don't agree with any of this, and not that I often agree with Roebuck I did in this case.

Top_Cat

Yeah but if that's the case with Watto/Katto, how about an actual call or at least an arm in the air to help Watto out? Don't think 'trust your partner implicitely' works when the striker starts wandering down the pitch too.