• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank Orthodox spinners with no doosra

Rank the top orthodox spinners

• Total voters

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
So this thread is related to the Harris vs. Hauritz vs. Swann thread and allows people to rank all the fingers spinners of this world. To qualify the spinner must be a orthodox finger spinner without a doosra. So Harbajhan and Ajmal are out - I don't have any stats but just from watching them they either get 10% of their wickets directly from the doosra or through the confusion that their next delivery could be a doosra and this is a big advantage. Granted someone said that Harbajhan doesn't bowl one often any more but have to draw the line somewhere. If this thread has been done before I apologize.

The goal is to rank the top 5 in order. To help with this please vote for up to 3 players. If I have missed a player you can vote for him by writing in your vote.

Batting skills or all round cricketing abilities are irrelevant. Just bowling. Please consider the amount of spin, guile, flight, accuracy, and tactical skill in making your votes.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I haven't really seen enough of Shakib or Herath to say, but Swann's the best of the others for mine.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Vettori, Herath, Swann IMO
Those are the three I voted for - but I was unsettled on my order.

Breaking it down I would rate them by these factors
Amount of Spin:
1) Herath
2) Swann
3) Vettori

Guile
1) Swann
2) Vettori
3) Herath

Flight / deception in the air
1) Vettori
2) Swann
3) Herath

Of these factors I think spin is the most important factor.
Which would suggest Herath - but his average is slightly higher suggesting that it has not helped him as much as you would think.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Easy Swann, Vettori and Shakib. Shakib gets a fair bit more rip than even Herath, Vettori gets none but is a master of flight, Swann is better than everyone else at getting the best of both these worlds.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Orthodox spinners are left handed. Most of these are right handed.

I think you mean "finger spinners".

jeevan

International 12th Man
Has there ever been an SLA with a doosra? Cant think of one, and this list is heavily represented with them.

Mendis is not included due to his carrom ball? Which isnt the (somewhat dubious) doosra but a doubt-creater any way..

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
1) From Cricinfo "Although classified as a right-arm, slow-medium bowler, Ajantha Mendis is a spinner who bowls a mixture of googlies, offbreaks, top-spinners, flippers and legbreaks."

2) Herath - might have been better to have left him out given that info - but we will leave him in since the voting is well under way.

3) I was actually looking for a ranking of these spinners in order. Are people fine with us taking the voting results as our collective ranking of who is best. IE the person with the most votes is regarded as the best finger spinner (without a doosra) in the world followed by whoever comes in second? Feel free to post who you think is best overall followed by second and third.

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
3) I was actually looking for a ranking of these spinners in order. Are people fine with us taking the voting results as our collective ranking of who is best. IE the person with the most votes is regarded as the best finger spinner in the world followed by whoever comes in second? Feel free to post who you think is best overall followed by second and third.
A bit harsh on Murali, one feels.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Orthodox spinners are left handed. Most of these are right handed.

I think you mean "finger spinners".
:huh: "Orthodox spinner" is just a eupehemism for fingerspinner. "Orthodox left-arm spinner" would be left-arm fingerspinner.

Needless term really - "fingerspinner" does fine.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
what a legendary list!!!:-O
By definition such bowlers - standard fingerspin bowlers who do not possess a Doosra - will never be particularly good bowlers in the covered-wickets era. Conditions around the planet no longer see sufficient spin-friendly decks for them to have widespread success.