• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The attitude of young people from subcontinent about Test Cricket

Whenever I talk to people from Pakistan and India (age range:teenage to 30s),most of themseem to love one day's and T20s a lot hardly care for Test Cricket.I've myself heard comments like "Tests are boring.", "Who cares about tests?", "ODIs are much more important than Tests." which is very shameful.If you couldn't watch an ODI and you ask some yougster about the proceedings,they are highly likely to give you all the details on whhat happened during the day including team & Individual scores.But in case of tests,they wouldn't even know who won the toss.I think this type of change is shamful & disgusting.It could be due to the reason being tests bit boring in subcontinent due to flat wickets but this type of attitude is not good for cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This reminds me of that survey where they polled like 1300 guys in India and only 7% told their most favoured format was Test cricket.. Among the facts conveniently brushed under the carpet was that 42% of those polled said they follow test cricket "dedicatedly" while 28% said they follow test cricket "regularly"... Maybe these folks just find it easier to catch a full game of ODI or T20 than a full game of test cricket.. Heck, I bet quite a number of guys on CW only follow even their home tests on the net more than TV or live...

Shameful and disgusting? They just like a different game than you do.
I called it shameful and disgusting because I,like many others think Test Cricket is the real form of cricket and it should be given preference over other formats.ODIs and T20s are just for fun.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If a format can not survive on its own and needs to be protected and preserved and shoved down people's throat then it deserves to die.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Shameful and disgusting? They just like a different game than you do.
Yeah, I find it worrying and disappointing as I myself value and enjoy two-innings four/five day cricket infinitely higher than any other format and the more this happens, the less focus and exposure it will be given. However, that's a lot different to "shameful" - people can like whatever they want - it's no shame on their part that they prefer or value a different game to me.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I find it worrying and disappointing as I myself value and enjoy two-innings four/five day cricket infinitely higher than any other format and the more this happens, the less focus and exposure it will be given. However, that's a lot different to "shameful" - people can like whatever they want - it's no shame on their part that they prefer or value a different game to me.
Yeah, I'm the same. I think it's that paranoia that leads people to speak of test cricket as though there's something inherently great and artistic about it that makes anyone who prefers T20 some kind of non-human life form. You hear stuff like "it's the only real form of the game" or "it's purer" or "it's the only cricket that really matters", all of which is just a bit of a waffly attempt to defend something that people fear for the future of.

You rarely meet anyone in the UK who lives for a good ODI or T20. They're mainly casual fans, or test fans who like a few ODIs on the side, whereas the people who like tests properly ****ing like it. I spoke to a few of the MCC members at Lord's last summer and there's a widespread fear that the younger generation will always prefer the thrills of LO cricket and tests are destined to die out. It's almost as if they have no confidence in test cricket as a game that people will always find appealing. And that's bollocks, because tests are awesome, and we don't need to dress it up as "pure" or "real cricket" before anyone else will come to agree.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I spoke to a few of the MCC members at Lord's last summer and there's a widespread fear that the younger generation will always prefer the thrills of LO cricket and tests are destined to die out.
Tell that to the 11-year-old who asked me at school breakfast a couple of weeks ago whether the teams had been announced for the First Test yet. Or the 10-year-old who started talking to me about how unlucky Angelo Mathews was to get run out on 99, and how Sehwag was never going to go on to break Lara's record because he's got that far before and always gets out...

One of the best tips we got during teacher training is that if you go out and try to be liked, you won't be: the way to be liked is to be good at your job. The same goes for Test cricket: you can't force people to like it. If it's good, we'll watch it, and so will the next generation.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tell that to the 11-year-old who asked me at school breakfast a couple of weeks ago whether the teams had been announced for the First Test yet. Or the 10-year-old who started talking to me about how unlucky Angelo Mathews was to get run out on 99, and how Sehwag was never going to go on to break Lara's record because he's got that far before and always gets out...

One of the best tips we got during teacher training is that if you go out and try to be liked, you won't be: the way to be liked is to be good at your job. The same goes for Test cricket: you can't force people to like it. If it's good, we'll watch it, and so will the next generation.
Provided their parents have Sky, obv. :ph34r:

In all seriousness tho, I agree totally. If decent product is served up people will watch or read the reports or follow the scores on cricinfo or whatever.

One of the happy by-products of England's inconsistency is that tests involving us are rarely dull or predictable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Provided, obviously, that it's accessible.

No-one will watch a game they cannot watch or that is too much of a chore to watch, however good the quality is.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Stalactites go down and stalagmites go up.

Oh, wait, sorry, I thought we were playing "make comments entirely unrelated to the primacy of Test cricket versus the limited-over format amongst the next generation".

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
HA you know it man. The only reason i'm still living with my parents is that is that i dont want to not have access to sky. I couldn't imagine a life not being able to see cricket from all over the world...thats just as bad in not getting *** regularly for me!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stalactites go down and stalagmites go up.

Oh, wait, sorry, I thought we were playing "make comments entirely unrelated to the primacy of Test cricket versus the limited-over format amongst the next generation".
If ODI and\or Twenty20 is more attractive for whatever reasons, more people will go. If it's more accessible, more people will watch. Regardless of the quality.

That make the relevance obvious enough?