cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The attitude of young people from subcontinent about Test Cricket

Banned

The attitude of young people from subcontinent about Test Cricket

Whenever I talk to people from Pakistan and India (age range:teenage to 30s),most of themseem to love one day's and T20s a lot hardly care for Test Cricket.I've myself heard comments like "Tests are boring.", "Who cares about tests?", "ODIs are much more important than Tests." which is very shameful.If you couldn't watch an ODI and you ask some yougster about the proceedings,they are highly likely to give you all the details on whhat happened during the day including team & Individual scores.But in case of tests,they wouldn't even know who won the toss.I think this type of change is shamful & disgusting.It could be due to the reason being tests bit boring in subcontinent due to flat wickets but this type of attitude is not good for cricket.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Shameful and disgusting? They just like a different game than you do.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    This reminds me of that survey where they polled like 1300 guys in India and only 7% told their most favoured format was Test cricket.. Among the facts conveniently brushed under the carpet was that 42% of those polled said they follow test cricket "dedicatedly" while 28% said they follow test cricket "regularly"... Maybe these folks just find it easier to catch a full game of ODI or T20 than a full game of test cricket.. Heck, I bet quite a number of guys on CW only follow even their home tests on the net more than TV or live...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

The attitude has been the same for 30 years ans it will not change, live with it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I called it shameful and disgusting because I,like many others think Test Cricket is the real form of cricket and it should be given preference over other formats.ODIs and T20s are just for fun.
    Last edited by BhupinderSingh; 25-12-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh View Post
    I called it shameful and disgusting because I think Test Cricket is the real form of cricket and it should be given preference over other formats.

are you Pervaiz Musharraf?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    [/B]

are you Pervaiz Musharraf?
    No,I hate that man from core of my heart.BTW,did he ever make a similar statement?

If a format can not survive on its own and needs to be protected and preserved and shoved down people's throat then it deserves to die.

Yeah, I find it worrying and disappointing as I myself value and enjoy two-innings four/five day cricket infinitely higher than any other format and the more this happens, the less focus and exposure it will be given. However, that's a lot different to "shameful" - people can like whatever they want - it's no shame on their part that they prefer or value a different game to me.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah, I find it worrying and disappointing as I myself value and enjoy two-innings four/five day cricket infinitely higher than any other format and the more this happens, the less focus and exposure it will be given. However, that's a lot different to "shameful" - people can like whatever they want - it's no shame on their part that they prefer or value a different game to me.
    Yeah, I'm the same. I think it's that paranoia that leads people to speak of test cricket as though there's something inherently great and artistic about it that makes anyone who prefers T20 some kind of non-human life form. You hear stuff like "it's the only real form of the game" or "it's purer" or "it's the only cricket that really matters", all of which is just a bit of a waffly attempt to defend something that people fear for the future of.

You rarely meet anyone in the UK who lives for a good ODI or T20. They're mainly casual fans, or test fans who like a few ODIs on the side, whereas the people who like tests properly ****ing like it. I spoke to a few of the MCC members at Lord's last summer and there's a widespread fear that the younger generation will always prefer the thrills of LO cricket and tests are destined to die out. It's almost as if they have no confidence in test cricket as a game that people will always find appealing. And that's bollocks, because tests are awesome, and we don't need to dress it up as "pure" or "real cricket" before anyone else will come to agree.

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I spoke to a few of the MCC members at Lord's last summer and there's a widespread fear that the younger generation will always prefer the thrills of LO cricket and tests are destined to die out.
    Tell that to the 11-year-old who asked me at school breakfast a couple of weeks ago whether the teams had been announced for the First Test yet. Or the 10-year-old who started talking to me about how unlucky Angelo Mathews was to get run out on 99, and how Sehwag was never going to go on to break Lara's record because he's got that far before and always gets out...

One of the best tips we got during teacher training is that if you go out and try to be liked, you won't be: the way to be liked is to be good at your job. The same goes for Test cricket: you can't force people to like it. If it's good, we'll watch it, and so will the next generation.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Tell that to the 11-year-old who asked me at school breakfast a couple of weeks ago whether the teams had been announced for the First Test yet. Or the 10-year-old who started talking to me about how unlucky Angelo Mathews was to get run out on 99, and how Sehwag was never going to go on to break Lara's record because he's got that far before and always gets out...

One of the best tips we got during teacher training is that if you go out and try to be liked, you won't be: the way to be liked is to be good at your job. The same goes for Test cricket: you can't force people to like it. If it's good, we'll watch it, and so will the next generation.
    Provided their parents have Sky, obv.

In all seriousness tho, I agree totally. If decent product is served up people will watch or read the reports or follow the scores on cricinfo or whatever.

One of the happy by-products of England's inconsistency is that tests involving us are rarely dull or predictable.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Brexit is the Tory party's baby; it's been a long and painful labour and, at the very last minute, they've sh@t all over it.'" - Frankie Boyle

Sky

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post

Provided, obviously, that it's accessible.

No-one will watch a game they cannot watch or that is too much of a chore to watch, however good the quality is.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Stalactites go down and stalagmites go up.

Oh, wait, sorry, I thought we were playing "make comments entirely unrelated to the primacy of Test cricket versus the limited-over format amongst the next generation".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information