Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Harris vs. Hauritz vs. Swann

State Vice-Captain

Harris vs. Hauritz vs. Swann

Given that spin stocks worldwide aren't what they used to be, I have to say that these three spinners are doing a more than decent job of being part strike part support for the team's main pacers. I was wondering what you guys felt the current pecking order would be of the three. I'm leaning towards Swann as the best, as his finest spells are closest to worldclass IMO though he is not as consistent. Thoughts?

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Harris is definately the best, most consistent spinner. As an all-round cricketer, I'd have Swann.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    Given that spin stocks worldwide aren't what they used to be, I have to say that these three spinners are doing a more than decent job of being part strike part support for the team's main pacers. I was wondering what you guys felt the current pecking order would be of the three. I'm leaning towards Swann as the best, as his finest spells are closest to worldclass IMO though he is not as consistent. Thoughts?
    From the little I've seen of the 3, damn hard to separate. Probably Swann marginally.

Should've run a poll

School Boy/Girl Captain
    BlackJack Champion! Karts Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Swann then Harris

Hauritz is not even in the best 3 spinners in Aus

Presuming we are refering to tests cricket only...

Swann the best all-round spinner. Harris & Hauritz are a joke & too often have been made to look good by teams who play spin weak i.e my beloved England.

Harris in the last 3 years for SA has worked very well in a 5-man attack. So as long as SA have that
    5-man attack he will be very useful in tests although he is a joke spinner. If Kallis stops bowling, i dont think Harris will be that effective in a 4-man attack.

Hauritz i still think he is joke - but he no doubt has improved a great deal in 2009 & is the most accurate/economical of the three. But as i've maintained AUS currently can do without playing him in most conditions. Their strenght is the pace attack & should play 4-seamers.

Swann is very solid in most conditions. He is the most likely of the three to get good batsman out consistently with good bowling - instead of batsman doing like Pietersen & getting themselves out due to false strokes/stupid shots. ENG can ATM can easily play him a 4-man attack wtihout much worries (although there will be conditions when ENG may consider dropping him for a 4-man pace attack as well).

Only problem is that with an average/decent pace trio of Anderson/Onions/Broad without Flintoff these days . If one of those guys has an off-days & Swann has to take up extra-responsibility (like a Warne in the 05 Ashes) he can be exposed due to a lack or raw wicket-taking weapons (i.e a doosra).

School Boy/Girl Captain
    BlackJack Champion! Karts Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post

Swann the best all-round spinner. Harris & Hauritz are a joke & too often have been made to look good by teams who play spin weak i.e my beloved England.

Harris in the last 3 years for SA has worked very well in a 5-man attack. So as long as SA have that
    5-man attack he will be very useful in tests although he is a joke spinner. If Kallis stops bowling, i dont think Harris will be that effective in a 4-man attack.

Hauritz i still think he is joke - but he no doubt has improved a great deal in 2009 & is the most accurate/economical of the three. But as i've maintained AUS currently can do without playing him in most conditions. Their strenght is the pace attack & should play 4-seamers.

Swann is very solid in most conditions. He is the most likely of the three to get good batsman out consistently with good bowling - instead of batsman doing like Pietersen & getting themselves out due to false strokes/stupid shots. ENG can ATM can easily play him a 4-man attack wtihout much worries (although there will be conditions when ENG may consider dropping him for a 4-man pace attack as well).

Only problem is that with an average/decent pace trio of Anderson/Onions/Broad without Flintoff these days . If one of those guys has an off-days & Swann has to take up extra-responsibility (like a Warne in the 05 Ashes) he can be exposed due to a lack or raw wicket-taking weapons (i.e a doosra).
    Nice post

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post

Harris is a lot better than you give him credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Harris is a lot better than you give him credit for.
    Agree

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Harris has better accuracy than Swann but Swann has better attacking tools. Thus on a turning pitch Harris should be useful, Swann should be deadly. On a non-turner Harris and Swann are still capable of baiting batsmen out but I do think there've been a few more batsmen to fall for said trap than should be doing.

Hauritz has yet to show that he can be a terribly good bowler even on a turning deck.

So in short for me Swann > Harris >>>>> Hauritz.
    Last edited by Richard; 23-12-2009 at 04:20 AM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I like watching all 3 bowl.

Hauritz is capable of bowling beautifully, a really nice classical offspinner. Not a world-beater but a bit underrated imho.

Harris looks so entirely unthreatening, but that is his secret weapon. That and the toxic mind-waves that he emits to lure batsmen into crazy errors against his bowling.

Admittedly it's not saying much, but Swann is by a distance the best English spinner I've seen for a while. He can sometimes get a fair amount of turn, but has a very good delivery that goes straight on (occasionally with a bit of arm-ball swing) and his record against lefties is outstanding.

All 3 are also handy with the bat, but Swann is the best of them.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I like watching all 3 bowl.
    Yeah me too. Not sure why I like watching Hauritz, but I do.

Really enjoy watching Swann and Harris.

Perhaps I'm just a fan of off spin bowling.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Harris has to be one of the least attractive bowlers I've ever seen TBH. That horrible action and the hairdo is just a... well, horrible, combo.

I don't doubt that to some extent that helps him with batsmen underestimating him either.

Banned
    Swann had a good series against West Indies but his stats are dire against other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Admittedly it's not saying much, but Swann is by a distance the best English spinner I've seen for a while.
    People were saying that about MSP barely a couple of years ago. I don't doubt Swann is a bit better than Giles and certainly far, far more reliable than Tufnell (I'd still imagine Tufnell's best bowling on the exceptionally rare occasion he produced it is better than anything Swann can produce but he's got time to show otherwise yet) but I seriously dispute he's significantly if at all better Croft and even the county-spectator's favourite Such. He is currently better than MSP but I do still think MSP could potentially outdo him in the long-run, though that's looking less likely as time goes on.

I've never yet been truly familiar with how good or otherwise the Embureys and Edmundses were (obviously they didn't have the uncovered wickets advantage that their predecessors Illingworth and Underwood enjoyed for the first part of their careers) so I'll gladly not currently try to compare there, but I realise you may be calling Swann the best since Emburey so it may not be important anyway.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Harbhajan deserves a mention, no? And Murali is still playing, albeit a much reduced force.

Out of the three, I like Swann the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information