• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harris vs. Hauritz vs. Swann

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the cases of Vettori, Harris and Kaneria it should be wickets against right handers. Because these bowlers take the ball away from RHB compared to Swann or Hauritz. Better would be to comparethe ratio between % of RHB / LHB taken divided by % of RHB / LHB in cricket.

From the 1st test onwards, RHB have played 53616 innings That is 78.4% out of 68377 innings

Then we can re arrange the data like this
Code:
Name  	  	  	% TTBAB  	Ratio
Swann  	  	  	64  	  	[B]2.96[/B]
Hauritz  	  	45  	  	[B]2.08[/B]
Vettori  	  	70  	  	0.89
Harbhajan  	  	30  	  	[B]1.39[/B]
Harris   	  	72  	  	0.92
Kaneria    	  	73  	  	0.93
Murali   	  	23  	  	1.06
TTBAB - % wickets taking the bal away from the batsman. i.e. SLA vs RHB. OB vs LHB

Swann, Hauritz and HArbhajan are much better in taking the ball away from batsmen and dismissing them.
Why use all tests ever played? Why not just the tests since these guys started playing? The proportion of LHBs has increased pretty considerably recently I believe.

mdoggie

Cricket Spectator
For me Symcox has is clearly ahead of Harris & is the best SA spinner since readmission to date.
I never saw much of Symo bowling but looking at his test record, 37 wickets at over 40 in 20 tests, pales in comparison to Harris who averages 32 in more games. Harris may be an ugly player to watch but he is certainly more effective and consistent than Symcox.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I never saw much of Symo bowling but looking at his test record, 37 wickets at over 40 in 20 tests, pales in comparison to Harris who averages 32 in more games. Harris may be an ugly player to watch but he is certainly more effective and consistent than Symcox.
Symcox did well when the conditions suited him. He ripped it a long way tan Harris. SAF wickets have become much slower and spinner friendly in this 17 years time. I also would consider Symcox to be a better spinner than Harris. He was 36 when he was selected to the SAF side, might have been much better in his youth. Add to that he is probably the best slw bowling all rounder in recent times together with Vettori and Shakib Al Hasan

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
After watching all 3 spinners on display, you'd have to say Swan is quite ahead of Harris and especially Hauritz. Far far more threatening.

flibbertyjibber

Spot on Jono,finally England have found an attacking off spinner.First time in my lifetime we have had one.Makes you frustrated that Fletcher was too pigheaded to pick him after he fell out with him when Swann was a kid.

Uppercut

After watching all 3 spinners on display, you'd have to say Swan is quite ahead of Harris and especially Hauritz. Far far more threatening.
Tbf the only people who didn't already know this were Aussies with blinkers on :p.

But yeah, he's certainly consolidated his place at the top of the three.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
They're all really at the same level or thereabouts. Swann more likely to throw it up and take a bunch but also likely to get punished for it too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Wouldn't you rather have the guy who will take you the most wickets though? As an offspinner you've got to be prepared to get hit out of the ground, so the one with the best hauls is for me the most valuable to the team, in Tests.

Uppercut

They're all really at the same level or thereabouts. Swann more likely to throw it up and take a bunch but also likely to get punished for it too.
Taking wickets is a much, much more valuable skill than keeping it tight though. That's what makes Swann the best of the three for mine. It's debatable how big the difference is, but he's certainly better than the other two.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wouldn't you rather have the guy who will take you the most wickets though? As an offspinner you've got to be prepared to get hit out of the ground, so the one with the best hauls is for me the most valuable to the team, in Tests.
Yup, a bowler who doesn't take wickets is utterly pointless in Tests.

I'll take 20-60-2 over 20-30-1 every day of the week.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Taking wickets is a much, much more valuable skill than keeping it tight though. That's what makes Swann the best of the three for mine. It's debatable how big the difference is, but he's certainly better than the other two.
It all depends. I am not trying to say that Swann takes bunches whilst the others don't. They do too. I just mean Swann is a tad more likelier to make that happen because he is riskier. On the other hand, he can also be shellacked on his day and whether he establishes a good balance is yet to be seen. I personally don't think there is much of a difference between the 3. Also, I can't stand his ugly-****-eating-grin face.

Last edited:

Jayzamann

International Regular
Also, I can't stand his ugly-****-eating-grin face.
He does have an affable personality to back it up, though. Not like Harris who looks like he preys on high school girls. Or Hauritz who looks like a high school boy who is jealous that people like Harris get with girls his age.

Top_Cat

He does have an affable personality to back it up, though. Not like Harris who looks like he preys on high school girls. Or Hauritz who looks like a high school boy who is jealous that people like Harris get with girls his age.
Haurie looks more like prey, tbh.