Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Harris vs. Hauritz vs. Swann

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Adams was clearly pretty hopeless and not surprisingly so either, but he's a wristspinner and that applies to most of them.
    I never saw much of Paul Adams, but why exactly was he clearly hopeless? Even taking away his record against Bangladesh, his record is still pretty good for a wrist spinner.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    I never saw much of Paul Adams, but why exactly was he clearly hopeless? Even taking away his record against Bangladesh, his record is still pretty good for a wrist spinner.
    Because Richard said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Spectator
    He was dangerous when he started out, he was so unorthadox that people struggled to play him (without bursting into laughter). But once he was found out, he was pretty ordinary and became hopeless.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Why can't this thread be re-named to its by-line - "Battle of the Tard Slowies"? Like asking who batted best out of Alderman, McGrath and Chris Martin.
    Last edited by Burgey; 24-12-2009 at 01:14 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Hauritz is a accurate spinner but he doesn't get enough turn especially on the 4th/5th day wickets. His variations aren't good enough to make up for the lack of spin compared to Vettori and Kumble.

Swann is the most attacking of the lot and his FC and Test stats show that from the amount of 5 fers he has. Didn't have the best Ashes and was outbowled by Hauritz in the games he played but he looked the more dangerous of the two.

Harris has the height factor and SLA which seems to be a good mix for the tight line spinners. Both him and Benn like the bouncy pitches in Aus. The spin away from the right handers is also useful and the extra bounce can cause problems at times. He has more 5 fers than Hauritz both in Test and FC which shows hes capable of winning a match on his day.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvester View Post
    Hauritz is a accurate spinner but he doesn't get enough turn especially on the 4th/5th day wickets. His variations aren't good enough to make up for the lack of spin compared to Vettori and Kumble.
    I used to think that Vettori > Hauritz - but I think Hauritz gives it more a rip than Vettori. His accuracy is acceptable as well. And Vettori doesn't have a good history on 4th/5th day wickets either.

I like the loop that Hauritz gets.

Is it generally accepted that Vettori is >> than all of the three spinners highlighted in this thread?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    It's too early to tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    More useful cricketer, certainly, but possibly a weaker bowler than any of them too. Even Harris gives it more of a rip. Vettori is clever bowler, but doesn't have the basic armoury of even Hauritz based on the little I've seen of the latter.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Banned
    I think Swann is the better bowler and cricketer among these guys.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    As was said to some extent, he had some amount of success early on due to the utterly extraordinary nature of his action which meant some people just struggled to play him. He never really threatened much.

If you'd watched him much you'd realise he had so little going for him - only bowled one delivery (the Googly), and though it turned plenty, he struggled to pitch more than a couple per over in the right spot by-and-large.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Interesting question with Murali's clear decline: If tomorrow, a spin-assisting tracks were assured and you needed a spinner for one series (out of all the spinners who are currently played), which spinner would you pick, and in which order? How many would pick Swann, or Harby, for example, over Murali at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Would pick Swann for his batting tbh
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Interesting question with Murali's clear decline: If tomorrow, a spin-assisting tracks were assured and you needed a spinner for one series (out of all the spinners who are currently played), which spinner would you pick, and in which order? How many would pick Swann, or Harby, for example, over Murali at this point?
    Would still pick Murali any day of any week myself TBH. That might change as hindsight creeps in but at the current time I'd still say I'd back him to outbowl any spinner going around.

Maybe in 2014 I'll say "in late 2009 Swann would've been a better pick than Murali" but I think that has to remain to be seen.

Still Murali everytime for me although I would also take Imran Tahir bowlng like he did for Hampshire in 2008.

Interesting to see where Mendis fits in all of this, a tad worried about how is going to go for us, am just hoping at the moment that the county batsmen will be confused by him m but has looked very unthreatening of late.
    Last edited by Pothas; 24-12-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Would take Mishra myself.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information