Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Harris vs. Hauritz vs. Swann

HAA..come on now. You & T_C cant be serious here.

That was well calculated sweep reverse -sweep. Just simply brillaint batting. KP was wayyyy past his hundred when he played that shot as well.

No comparison to his brain failure shots vs Hauritz @ Cardiff & Benn @ Kingston.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    His fourth innings average was highlighted by a number of commentators in the Australian summer, and he set about rectifying that; performing well against Pakistan in three tests which you've discounted for an understandable reason. He's had only one other chance to bowl in the last innings, and that was when he bowled pretty well against NZ, but Johnson was being a wrecking ball up the other end.
    You forgetting the Adelaide test vs WI.

Plus in the NZ series. The Hamiltion 4th innings where Johnson took 6, the conditons wasn't really turning that much. AUS make 500 odd batting 3rd & Vettori/Patel wasn't getting much turn. Pitch played very well for 5 days - Johnson just bowled superbly & was getting unusual extra bounce on that 5th day wicket.

The deteriorating wicket was the 1st test in Wellington, where Hauritz bowled 49 overs accurate but unpenetrative overs.

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Personally, I thought Pietersen looked fairly comfortable milking him away for singles and twos. Unfortunately, I dont think he's ever quite satisfied with that and he ends up trying to do something more extravagant.

Point anyhow is not that it wasn't an intelligent piece of bowling to firstly notice the premeditated sweep and to then toss it wide. Though I'd maintain till death that only an imbecile would have gone through with the sweep shot when it would have been called a wide for being that far outside off stump.

Edit: In other words I dont quite subscribe to the idea of him being coaxed into playing that shot by Hauritz. I think its more a case of his own rush of blood to the head.
    100% on point. Was beginning to seriously wonder if i was alone here. I am really struggling to see how people could have seen it any other way.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    See, I don't quite agree with that either. KP was obviously looking to go after Hauritz and, for the large portion of the morning, couldn't get him away or, at least, couldn't land him rows back. KP looked comfortable against everyone but Hauritz, I thought. The chipped top-edge seemed inevitable and I get the feeling that's why Hauritz was bowled as much as he was by Ponting.

Ponting's captaincy is littered with examples where he pulled spinners out of the attack at the first sign of trouble but Hauritz seemed the most likely to take KP's wicket
    TBF Punter did have four men on the fence for Hauritz to KP, so it was only really a partial show of faith.

Kinda sorry I mentioned it at all now. I wasn't suggesting that Doogie shouldn't get any credit, but equally if Pietersen hadn't have gone through with what looked a clearly premeditated shot, he'd have been all right. Smart thinking, but not quite a bowler's wicket in the same way as (say) KP's most recent test dimissal where Ajmal bowled him through the gate.

Was just trying to add some meat to the bones of my suggestion he (Haury) was a bit flattered by is 3/60-odd in the first innings.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Personally, I thought Pietersen looked fairly comfortable milking him away for singles and twos. Unfortunately, I dont think he's ever quite satisfied with that and he ends up trying to do something more extravagant.

Point anyhow is not that it wasn't an intelligent piece of bowling to firstly notice the premeditated sweep and to then toss it wide. Though I'd maintain till death that only an imbecile would have gone through with the sweep shot when it would have been called a wide for being that far outside off stump.
    Don't really disagree with any of that but, as you allude to, there's an element of both good bowling and poor batting to it. Hauritz is rarely going to rip one through the gate and he'd be foolish to try. Playing on the strengths of batters and turning them into a weakness (enough rope, etc.) is good, professional bowling (EDIT: and captaincy) and is more likely to net a bowler like Hauritz wickets anyway.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 22-08-2010 at 10:43 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    TBF Punter did have four men on the fence for Hauritz to KP, so it was only really a partial show of faith.
    Fair.

Kinda sorry I mentioned it at all now. I wasn't suggesting that Doogie shouldn't get any credit, but equally if Pietersen hadn't have gone through with what looked a clearly premeditated shot, he'd have been all right.
    Could say that about any batter who is worked out by a fielding team and falls into the trap set surely? I don't recall anyone bagging NZ's bowlers or fielders when they gave Martyn 3 points/gullies and he obliged by belting balls straight at them a few times, despite the obvious need for one hell of a pair of hands at the business end of Marto's money shot. No, was called for what it was; good tactics, both bowling and captaincy. Turned a strength into a weakness to a degree that people were bagging Martyn for daring to play a shot which probably results in most of his runs.

Smart thinking, but not quite a bowler's wicket in the same way as (say) KP's most recent test dimissal where Ajmal bowled him through the gate.
    tbh, no-one's arguing otherwise. Just that the suggestion it was solely down to a KP brain snap doesn't tell the full story of what happened either.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 22-08-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Yeah, true. That was a fairly obvious plan though, people can't really see him being the one to be satisfied with milking him for singles, when he's bombed the best in the business. Were pretty much preying on a brain explosion, and they got one.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    HAA..come on now. You & T_C cant be serious here.

That was well calculated sweep reverse -sweep. Just simply brillaint batting. KP was wayyyy past his hundred when he played that shot as well.

No comparison to his brain failure shots vs Hauritz @ Cardiff & Benn @ Kingston.
    What you are doing is judging his decisions by the results. If he had've missed it, everyone would be replaying it for years talking about how stupid he looked and it would be a huge brain explosion. It was purely an ego shot.

Obviously the fact that England were in a dominant position made the shot a bit more tenable.
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    You forgetting the Adelaide test vs WI.
    To clear it up, it was after that Test that his record was highlighted in the fourth innings, leading into the Test vs Pakistan in Melbourne.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    KP could have played a hard, commanding sweep, he could have left it, he could have cover driven it. Simply put, Hauritz bowled a delivery which coaxed him into making the wrong decision, which is pretty much what spinners try to do to take wickets; and it doesn't have to be with wonderballs like Swann's to Farhat (who could have defended it off the back foot, or got his leg in line with the ball and padded it away seeing as it pitched outside leg) or a Murali doosra.
    Excellent. The same is true of his ball on the fifth morning at Cardiff that got the wicket of Matt Prior. Prior loves to cut, and pitching slightly shorter and turning in sharply from outside off stump is a great ball to bowl to a batsman that loves to cut. And knowing Prior's tendency to try to cut too often against the spin, that's what Hauritz tried to do. But when people looked at the delivery they just said, "terrible shot, the bowler deserves no credit for that".

Spinners like Hauritz just can't win when it comes to facing a batsman like KP. He's still criticised when the perfectly good deliveries get smashed to the boundary but doesn't get any credit when the batsman holes out to a standard delivery.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Hauritz got runner up. If Swann had Watson playing he wouldn't have gotten close.

Haurie...sub 30 average, sub 60 SR. Lovin' it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Who knows? Pakistani's have usually been adept at playing spin. We'll see how Swann does .
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Hauritz > Swann.

A dog turd > Swann, come to think of it
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Haha thanks for the link to this thread.

Sooooooo satisfying.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread Information