• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harris vs. Hauritz vs. Swann

tooextracool

International Coach
Think the point that is trying to be made here is that Pietersen is a ********. Hence deceiving him doesn't really require any sort of extraordinary genius, he tends to oblige by making himself look like an idiot. And its really what will probably ultimately separate him from greatness.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think the point that is trying to be made here is that Pietersen is a ********. Hence deceiving him doesn't really require any sort of extraordinary genius, he tends to oblige by making himself look like an idiot. And its really what will probably ultimately separate him from greatness.
Maybe so but you won't get much agreement that KP got himself out and Hauritz just happened to be the palooka sending the ball down when he imploded either. Just because Hauritz played for that, doesn't mean he had no role in it and, tbh, those who argue otherwise don't get spin bowling.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Perhaps not though quite honestly, KP was doing just fine before he played that shot. Its not like Hauritz had bowled a tantalizingly frustrating spell to induce that shot. It was the first ball that Pietersen faced off a new spell.

Top_Cat

See, I don't quite agree with that either. KP was obviously looking to go after Hauritz and, for the large portion of the morning, couldn't get him away or, at least, couldn't land him rows back. KP looked comfortable against everyone but Hauritz, I thought. The chipped top-edge seemed inevitable and I get the feeling that's why Hauritz was bowled as much as he was by Ponting.

Ponting's captaincy is littered with examples where he pulled spinners out of the attack at the first sign of trouble but Hauritz seemed the most likely to take KP's wicket

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Personally, I thought Pietersen looked fairly comfortable milking him away for singles and twos. Unfortunately, I dont think he's ever quite satisfied with that and he ends up trying to do something more extravagant.

Point anyhow is not that it wasn't an intelligent piece of bowling to firstly notice the premeditated sweep and to then toss it wide. Though I'd maintain till death that only an imbecile would have gone through with the sweep shot when it would have been called a wide for being that far outside off stump.

Edit: In other words I dont quite subscribe to the idea of him being coaxed into playing that shot by Hauritz. I think its more a case of his own rush of blood to the head.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
HAA..come on now. You & T_C cant be serious here.

That was well calculated sweep reverse -sweep. Just simply brillaint batting. KP was wayyyy past his hundred when he played that shot as well.

No comparison to his brain failure shots vs Hauritz @ Cardiff & Benn @ Kingston.

His fourth innings average was highlighted by a number of commentators in the Australian summer, and he set about rectifying that; performing well against Pakistan in three tests which you've discounted for an understandable reason. He's had only one other chance to bowl in the last innings, and that was when he bowled pretty well against NZ, but Johnson was being a wrecking ball up the other end.
You forgetting the Adelaide test vs WI.

Plus in the NZ series. The Hamiltion 4th innings where Johnson took 6, the conditons wasn't really turning that much. AUS make 500 odd batting 3rd & Vettori/Patel wasn't getting much turn. Pitch played very well for 5 days - Johnson just bowled superbly & was getting unusual extra bounce on that 5th day wicket.

The deteriorating wicket was the 1st test in Wellington, where Hauritz bowled 49 overs accurate but unpenetrative overs.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Personally, I thought Pietersen looked fairly comfortable milking him away for singles and twos. Unfortunately, I dont think he's ever quite satisfied with that and he ends up trying to do something more extravagant.

Point anyhow is not that it wasn't an intelligent piece of bowling to firstly notice the premeditated sweep and to then toss it wide. Though I'd maintain till death that only an imbecile would have gone through with the sweep shot when it would have been called a wide for being that far outside off stump.

Edit: In other words I dont quite subscribe to the idea of him being coaxed into playing that shot by Hauritz. I think its more a case of his own rush of blood to the head.
100% on point. Was beginning to seriously wonder if i was alone here. I am really struggling to see how people could have seen it any other way.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
See, I don't quite agree with that either. KP was obviously looking to go after Hauritz and, for the large portion of the morning, couldn't get him away or, at least, couldn't land him rows back. KP looked comfortable against everyone but Hauritz, I thought. The chipped top-edge seemed inevitable and I get the feeling that's why Hauritz was bowled as much as he was by Ponting.

Ponting's captaincy is littered with examples where he pulled spinners out of the attack at the first sign of trouble but Hauritz seemed the most likely to take KP's wicket
TBF Punter did have four men on the fence for Hauritz to KP, so it was only really a partial show of faith.

Kinda sorry I mentioned it at all now. I wasn't suggesting that Doogie shouldn't get any credit, but equally if Pietersen hadn't have gone through with what looked a clearly premeditated shot, he'd have been all right. Smart thinking, but not quite a bowler's wicket in the same way as (say) KP's most recent test dimissal where Ajmal bowled him through the gate.

Was just trying to add some meat to the bones of my suggestion he (Haury) was a bit flattered by is 3/60-odd in the first innings.

Top_Cat

Don't really disagree with any of that but, as you allude to, there's an element of both good bowling and poor batting to it. Hauritz is rarely going to rip one through the gate and he'd be foolish to try. Playing on the strengths of batters and turning them into a weakness (enough rope, etc.) is good, professional bowling (EDIT: and captaincy) and is more likely to net a bowler like Hauritz wickets anyway.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

TBF Punter did have four men on the fence for Hauritz to KP, so it was only really a partial show of faith.
Fair.

Kinda sorry I mentioned it at all now. I wasn't suggesting that Doogie shouldn't get any credit, but equally if Pietersen hadn't have gone through with what looked a clearly premeditated shot, he'd have been all right.
Could say that about any batter who is worked out by a fielding team and falls into the trap set surely? I don't recall anyone bagging NZ's bowlers or fielders when they gave Martyn 3 points/gullies and he obliged by belting balls straight at them a few times, despite the obvious need for one hell of a pair of hands at the business end of Marto's money shot. No, was called for what it was; good tactics, both bowling and captaincy. Turned a strength into a weakness to a degree that people were bagging Martyn for daring to play a shot which probably results in most of his runs.

Smart thinking, but not quite a bowler's wicket in the same way as (say) KP's most recent test dimissal where Ajmal bowled him through the gate.
tbh, no-one's arguing otherwise. Just that the suggestion it was solely down to a KP brain snap doesn't tell the full story of what happened either.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, true. That was a fairly obvious plan though, people can't really see him being the one to be satisfied with milking him for singles, when he's bombed the best in the business. Were pretty much preying on a brain explosion, and they got one.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
HAA..come on now. You & T_C cant be serious here.

That was well calculated sweep reverse -sweep. Just simply brillaint batting. KP was wayyyy past his hundred when he played that shot as well.

No comparison to his brain failure shots vs Hauritz @ Cardiff & Benn @ Kingston.
What you are doing is judging his decisions by the results. If he had've missed it, everyone would be replaying it for years talking about how stupid he looked and it would be a huge brain explosion. It was purely an ego shot.

Obviously the fact that England were in a dominant position made the shot a bit more tenable.
You forgetting the Adelaide test vs WI.
To clear it up, it was after that Test that his record was highlighted in the fourth innings, leading into the Test vs Pakistan in Melbourne.

Uppercut

KP could have played a hard, commanding sweep, he could have left it, he could have cover driven it. Simply put, Hauritz bowled a delivery which coaxed him into making the wrong decision, which is pretty much what spinners try to do to take wickets; and it doesn't have to be with wonderballs like Swann's to Farhat (who could have defended it off the back foot, or got his leg in line with the ball and padded it away seeing as it pitched outside leg) or a Murali doosra.
Excellent. The same is true of his ball on the fifth morning at Cardiff that got the wicket of Matt Prior. Prior loves to cut, and pitching slightly shorter and turning in sharply from outside off stump is a great ball to bowl to a batsman that loves to cut. And knowing Prior's tendency to try to cut too often against the spin, that's what Hauritz tried to do. But when people looked at the delivery they just said, "terrible shot, the bowler deserves no credit for that".

Spinners like Hauritz just can't win when it comes to facing a batsman like KP. He's still criticised when the perfectly good deliveries get smashed to the boundary but doesn't get any credit when the batsman holes out to a standard delivery.