• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harris vs. Hauritz vs. Swann

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
Out of the 3 in the thread I would definitely pick Swann over the other 2 any day of the week, then I would take Hauritz. I really do not rate Harris, even though he is the top 10 bowlers in the world by rankings (or was up until recently, not checked). The recent South African series shows that Swann has great attacking skills and can pick up wickets even if it is not a crumbling pitch. Hauritz is impressing me more with each test he plays too. I do not think they are the best 3 spinners in the world though. I would take the likes of Herath over Harris tbh. Would take Harbajan over all 3.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bearing in mind the spin stocks in Aus are of lower quality than my local Primary School thats a pretty epic dis.

Hauritz has actually being bowling ok but is flattered by bowling to 2 of the worst Countries for players of spin currently in WIs and Pakistan.

Swann hands down and considering he is an offie I find his bowling hugely impressive.
Anyone that averages 45 against right-handers can hardly be called "hugely impressive"

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I cant remember Sangakkara, Jayawardane and Samaraweera batting against him in test matches. A damn solid middle order any spinner would face. All these players are better accomplished in playing spin than KP. Cannot remeber him coming across Sehwag as well.
Yeah, hasn't faced Sri Lanka, always useful to put a nearly in your post like I did so meh

He's played Sehwag though

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, hasn't faced Sri Lanka, always useful to put a nearly in your post like I did so meh

He's played Sehwag though
Yeah, Swanny's only actually bowled to Sehwag in one innings- that one where he went nuts on the fourth evening at Chennai- and he got him out. The rest of the time he was already gone when Swann came on.

He nailed Gautam Gambhir and Rahul Dravid in his first over of test cricket, which is about as impressive as it gets. Did struggle at times that series too though. Bit of a baptism of fire.

It's a shame Ganguly retired the previous series, because Swann vs. Ganguly would have been great to see.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, Swanny's only actually bowled to Sehwag in one innings- that one where he went nuts on the fourth evening at Chennai- and he got him out. The rest of the time he was already gone when Swann came on.

He nailed Gautam Gambhir and Rahul Dravid in his first over of test cricket, which is about as impressive as it gets. Did struggle at times that series too though. Bit of a baptism of fire.

It's a shame Ganguly retired the previous series, because Swann vs. Ganguly would have been great to see.
I heard that ganguly retired out of fear tbh

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I want to see more of Swann vs. Tendulkar, and Swann vs. Sehwag. They are the two best players of spin in the Indian Test team. Swann is in top form, and while Tendulkar isn't the force he used to be, Sehwag is in good form and both him and Tendulkar almost never look bad against spin.

I think it would be exciting - could Swann be the first spinner to dominate India over a series in a long time?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lara vs. Swann tbh.

Well, hopefully Yuvraj will be his bunny. Well, really I hope Yuvraj isn't in the Test team, but at this point I've given up on rational selection with him. Gambhir could be interesting too, he's in the best form of his life.

In any case, you can't use the lefty thing - he's the main spinner, and he has to bowl well to right handers - a lot more of those than lefties.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lara vs. Swann tbh.

Well, hopefully Yuvraj will be his bunny. Well, really I hope Yuvraj isn't in the Test team, but at this point I've given up on rational selection with him. Gambhir could be interesting too, he's in the best form of his life.

In any case, you can't use the lefty thing - he's the main spinner, and he has to bowl well to right handers - a lot more of those than lefties.
I'm not "using" it, but fact is he's far better at bowling to lefties. I'd find Swann vs. Ganguly or Lara more interesting than Swann vs. Sehwag or Tendulkar.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm not "using" it, but fact is he's far better at bowling to lefties. I'd find Swann vs. Ganguly or Lara more interesting than Swann vs. Sehwag or Tendulkar.
Yea, you're right. Gambhir opens so it wouldn't be a big part of the series, but would be quite happy to see him vs. Yuvraj. :p I would forever be grateful if he could end Yuvi's Test career.

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
1. Swann
2. Harris
3. Hauritz

Its deplorable how Hauritz has been getting five-fors against Pak. You are NOT supposed to get such easy wickets in tests.

Harris benefits from being a left arm bowler. So he can get away with having marginally less talent thn a right hand off spinner since most of the batsmen are right-handed. He is a good containing bowler though and creates a bit of pressure to get his wickets.

Swann is easily the best of the 3. Gets a good rip on the ball and creates uncertaintly in the batsmen.

LOL at all the Yuvraj bashing but truly, all of the above can end his test career.
Kohli/Raina/Vijay deserve a chance ahead of Yuvi.

VFE

Cricket Spectator
I hate to ruin a good stat but Swanns average against Right Handers makes no sense and does not mean what people think. He is shown to average 45 against Right Handers and 32 against Left Handers on Cricinfo. But his Test bowling average is 30. Which hand do all those wickets he has got bat with then?

All cricinfo do is take the total runs scored in the innings by the people he got out and credit him with the wicket. It means nothing.

Actually it means he has dismissed a lot of right handers when they are set for which he deserves some credit.

Not saying he is great against right handers. Just saying he does not have a bowling average of 45 against them.......

FBU

International Debutant
Swann

Right handers
362.0 overs 1206 runs 28 wickets - 43.07 econ 3.33 s/r 77.57

Left handers
338.5 overs 912 runs 41 wickets - 22.24 econ 2.69 s/r 49.58

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha nice! That's incredible.
Not really

Swann has a technical problem that basically results in him bowling slow and relatively innocuous in-slant to the righties from over the wicket - there's minimal drift, bugger all spin and moderate accuracy

In short, he's distinctly average

However, around the wicket, he's a decidedly different proposition because his arm is no longer past the perpendicular and he gets drift and spin > domination of lefties

Anyway, as I've said before, Swann is overrated because he's compared to Giles/Panesar whilst Hauritz is underrated because he has huge shoes to fill