Cricket Player Manager
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 356

Thread: Harris vs. Hauritz vs. Swann

  1. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Four of Swann's WI matches were played on 700 plays 500 pitches.

    Using stats to compare bowlers is facile at the best of times, but when the samples are so small it's pretty much ********. If you think hauritz's better stats make him a better bowler then that's up to you but anyine whose watched them both bowl and is neither English nor Australian will tell you that Swann is the better bowler.
    So Swann wins the online poll and Hauritz gets the better figures. win win situation.

  2. #197
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    49,091
    Last edited by GIMH; 18-01-2010 at 05:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  3. #198
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Yeah, welldone Hauritz on taking wickets against a ridiculously fragile Pakistan batting line ups at home.
    Now now Swanny, you just enjoy your MOTS over there in SA and leave poor Nathan alone. What's he ever done to you?
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

  4. #199
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,795
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    anyone whose watched them both bowl and is neither English nor Australian will tell you that Swann is the better bowler.
    I think this might actually be literally true. Has there been any non-Aussies in the entire thread who thought Hauritz was better?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.


  5. #200
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,040
    Hauritz doesn't actually have better stats that Swann anyway; there's a big difference between having better stats and having a better Test average. Hauritz's Test average wouldn't be below 30 if it weren't for the wickets he took on debut on a pitch that was skewed so far towards his bowling style (specifically because the opposition didn't rate him, mind you) that a part-timer managed to take 6/9 despite the fact that Hauritz himself only managed five wickets in two innings. Furthermore, it'd be ridiculous to hold the fact that Swann averages 40 against Australia's eleven best cricketers against him in a comparison with Hauritz given Hauritz averages almost 50 against a cross-section of Australia's best 75 or so cricketers, and without that Ashes series Swann would average less than 30 himself. To completely ignore First Class cricket here would be a massive oversight, especially due to the fact that Swann's average against Australia is significantly higher than his overall average and single-handedly accounts for the current disparity that is about the size of a bee's dick anyway.

    Given their Test averages are so close, it'd be beyond ridiculous to claim that they alone showed Hauritz to be the superior bowler, particularly given the fact that neither of them have played many Test matches and the fact that their First Class records are leagues apart. You can do what Ikki has done and say it suggests they are comparable or equal as bowlers, and although I disagree with him it's a valid conclusion to draw, but to suggest that Hauritz's extremely marginally better Test average proves he's performed better so far in his Test career is ludicrous. Some people in here are acting as if there's a huge difference between their averages; there's **** all in it and there's a lot to look at beyond them anyway.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 18-01-2010 at 05:47 AM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a man’s right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of one’s own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain one’s life and to keep the results of one’s own efforts.


  6. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I think this might actually be literally true. Has there been any non-Aussies in the entire thread who thought Hauritz was better?
    I dont think to many people would get caught up in something so petty.

  7. #202
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,769
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    If my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle.

    Hauritz has done well and fair play to him but if you really want to use stats to validate him being better than Swann you're in dreamland. West Indies/Pakistan at home is not really comparable to South Africa away hey?

    Not to worry though, Swann has Bangas away then Bangas to home and Pakistan at home coming up so we'll see how he goes there.
    Why, are South Africans better players of spin or something? I am going to love seeing Swann get shellacked in Oz.
    ★★★★★

  8. #203
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Why, are South Africans better players of spin or something? I am going to love seeing Swann get shellacked in Oz.
    Much as Hauritz has for his entire Queensland and NSW career by batsmen far inferior to those who will do it to Swann.

  9. #204
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Furthermore, it'd be ridiculous to hold the fact that Swann averages 40 against Australia's eleven best cricketers against him in a comparison with Hauritz given Hauritz averages almost 50 against a cross-section of Australia's best 75 or so cricketers.
    Haha, that's awesome.

  10. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Hauritz doesn't actually have better stats that Swann anyway; there's a big difference between having better stats and having a better Test average. Hauritz's Test average wouldn't be below 30 if it weren't for the wickets he took on debut on a pitch that was skewed so far towards his bowling style (specifically because the opposition didn't rate him, mind you) that a part-timer managed to take 6/9 despite the fact that Hauritz himself only managed five wickets in two innings. Furthermore, it'd be ridiculous to hold the fact that Swann averages 40 against Australia's eleven best cricketers against him in a comparison with Hauritz given Hauritz averages almost 50 against a cross-section of Australia's best 75 or so cricketers, and without that Ashes series Swann would average less than 30 himself. To completely ignore First Class cricket here would be a massive oversight, especially due to the fact that Swann's average against Australia is significantly higher than his overall average and single-handedly accounts for the current disparity that is about the size of a bee's dick anyway.

    Given their Test averages are so close, it'd be beyond ridiculous to claim that they alone showed Hauritz to be the superior bowler, particularly given the fact that neither of them have played many Test matches and the fact that their First Class records are leagues apart. You can do what Ikki has done and say it suggests they are comparable or equal as bowlers, and although I disagree with him it's a valid conclusion to draw, but to suggest that Hauritz's extremely marginally better Test average proves he's performed better so far in his Test career is ludicrous. Some people in here are acting as if there's a huge difference between their averages; there's **** all in it and there's a lot to look at beyond them anyway.
    Nobody is claiming Hauritz is better than Swann, I just pointed out that Hauritz has the better figures after reading how much better Swann was.

    Though it does seem important to some that Swann is declared better than Hauritz.

  11. #206
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    Nobody is claiming Hauritz is better than Swann, I just pointed out that Hauritz has the better figures after reading how much better Swann was.
    He doesn't though. Having a better Test average and having better figures are two entirely different things.

  12. #207
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Much as Hauritz has for his entire Queensland and NSW career by batsmen far inferior to those who will do it to Swann.
    Prince, it's fair to say that Hauritz has improved though as a first class cricketer..

    If you were picking a mixed Australia-England side it would be a surprising selection if anyone had Hauritz in their XI but not Swann IMO.

  13. #208
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Much as Hauritz has for his entire Queensland and NSW career by batsmen far inferior to those who will do it to Swann.
    Really, aren't we talking about Tests? Only in his 2 matches against S.Africa has Hauritz been ineffective, and even there he was very economical. Maybe Hauritz should go bowl in England.
    Last edited by Ikki; 18-01-2010 at 05:56 AM.

  14. #209
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Really, aren't we talking about Tests? Only in his 2 matches against S.Africa has Hauritz been ineffective, and even there he was very economical.
    Erm, Shield cricket much?

  15. #210
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Erm, Shield cricket much?
    And why is Shield cricket even remotely relevant here? If your best argument is that Hauritz wasn't a good shield bowler, then that says it all. As someone else has mentioned here, Hauritz is a much better bowler than he was in Shield cricket.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Graeme Swann and James Anderson media video
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31-10-2009, 06:27 PM
  2. Herath vs Swann
    By Migara in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 08:35 AM
  3. Graeme Swann
    By Craig in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 27-08-2009, 12:30 PM
  4. Hauritz and Strauss catches, Lord's Test
    By Richard in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 26-07-2009, 07:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •