Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Harris vs. Hauritz vs. Swann

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Well if the stats say Hauritz is better then he must be hey, STATS ARE LAW
    Stats just tell you what the player has done, It seems a defense mechanism is triggered whenever stats are mentioned. When the stats are at odds with someones opinion the first thing to do is declare that the person mentioning the stats thinks stats are everything.

The only thing I notice about stats is that the better a players stats are the better the player. I cant think of one great player that does not have great stats.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    That's because great players generally play in more than 12 matches. Plenty of all-time great bowlers have averaged over 30 for one 12-match period. Variance. Just because two players have similar stats after 12 matches doesn't mean they're similar quality.

But you can show Swann's superiority statistically anyway. Batsmen average 37.10 in matches involving Swann and 32.66 in matches involving Hauritz. In other words, Swann's bowled on much, much more batsman-friendly pitches than Hauritz has, but they both come out with the same average. Something that anyone who's followed both their careers will know anyway, but it's good to show it in numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

I reckon Swann's a better bowler, not by that much though. And I'm just really enjoying watching a guy grow into his role as a Test cricketer, especially one who copped a lot of unfair criticism. Sheffield Shield cricket is pretty unforgiving as a spinner, and I think a lot of people forget that.

They also don't understand that subtlety is the greatest variation a spinner can have, and that's something that doesn't get picked up by armchair critics.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    But you can show Swann's superiority statistically anyway. Batsmen average 37.10 in matches involving Swann and 32.66 in matches involving Hauritz. In other words, Swann's bowled on much, much more batsman-friendly pitches than Hauritz has, but they both come out with the same average. Something that anyone who's followed both their careers will know anyway, but it's good to show it in numbers.
    If batsmen are averaging 5 more runs in matches involving Swann can we then assume Hauritz is better as Swann is obviously leaking runs somewhere?
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I don't think Uppercut's post is fair on Hauritz; it's hardly his fault that he plays all of his matches alongside that paper-thin batting line-up that is the Australian middle order.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    If batsmen are averaging 5 more runs in matches involving Swann can we then assume Hauritz is better as Swann is obviously leaking runs somewhere?
    Haha you what?

I don't think Uppercut's post is fair on Hauritz; it's hardly his fault that he plays all of his matches alongside that paper-thin batting line-up that is the Australian middle order.
    It's not 'paper thin' it's 're-designed for success'. Don't think we didn't notice that 2 centuries was the magic number when it came to winning series. How many centuries have we scored this summer? 2! And we've won both series. Shane Watson should be applauded for not ****ing it up by getting the tally to 5 or 6 and resigning us to defeat.

I'm just worried we'll get ahead of ourselves now and score 15 in the next Ashes series to a paltry 1 (by Jimmy Anderson) yet in between somehow manage to get bowled out twice for 78 or less and lose the series again.

It's not 'paper thin' it's 're-designed for success'. Don't think we didn't notice that 2 centuries was the magic number when it came to winning series. How many centuries have we scored this summer? 2! And we've won both series. Shane Watson should be applauded for not ****ing it up by getting the tally to 5 or 6 and resigning us to defeat.

I'm just worried we'll get ahead of ourselves now and score 15 in the next Ashes series to a paltry 1 (by Jimmy Anderson) yet in between somehow manage to get bowled out twice for 78 or less and lose the series again.
    Here mate, think you might like this

Lol that actually was very good.

Anyway, I think Hauritz cops way too much criticism, but I've watched enough cricket to know that Swann is the better bowler.

Give this 12-18 months and I believe this will be clear. If not, well good for you Hauritz.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Haha you what?

To be honest, I find watching off-spinners a bit boring (sorry Jack!). I think it's the years of being spoilt by Warney. Anything else is a bit of a letdown. Wasn't that impressed by Swann in The Ashes, and am pleased that Hauritz is doing better than was predicted for Australia.

Who's better? I'm struggling to muster up the breath to care really. I do hope Swann gets a hiding out here in Oz though.

To be honest, I find watching off-spinners a bit boring (sorry Jack!). I think it's the years of being spoilt by Warney. Anything else is a bit of a letdown. Wasn't that impressed by Swann in The Ashes, and am pleased that Hauritz is doing better than was predicted for Australia.

Who's better? I'm struggling to muster up the breath to care really. I do hope Swann gets a hiding out here in Oz though.
    Yeah, he was awful at Cardiff and after that up and down. Must have found him to have bowled well in your unsuccessful fourth innings chases though?

Here mate, think you might like this

I'm not sure what that is, it looks like a glass of dirty bathwater. Lovely table though it must be said. Is this something off 'Antique Roadshow'?

I'm not sure what that is, it looks like a glass of dirty bathwater. Lovely table though it must be said. Is this something off 'Antique Roadshow'?
    Is a (admittedly flat and minging-looking) pint of bitter tbh

Yeah, he was awful at Cardiff and after that up and down. Must have found him to have bowled well in your unsuccessful fourth innings chases though?
    Given we got about 400 in them I didn't take a lot of notice (time zones played their part too, couldn't stay up too late with work on). As I said in my post, I don't generally get too excited by off-spinners. But that's a greater reflection on me than off-spinners and their talents obviously! If it's turning a fair bit then I'll watch them with interest, otherwise I'm probably off doing something else and waiting for a noise from the TV to suggest something's happened.

I'm sure he bowls well though, he must do. I just don't appreciate it as much as bigger turners of the ball and the fast men. He's also a better bowler than Hauritz, but Hauritz isn't as bad as some people make out. Swann is flashier, but part of that's down to his teeth.

Have to go and watch some clips of Warney now to cleanse my mind of this off-spin talk!
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 07-01-2010 at 06:14 AM.

I'd never really seen Hauritz bowl before the Ashes. Upon hearing all the talk of him I expected to see the sort of delivery that I tend to send down, so he certainly is a LOT better than people make out. I do actually think he's a good bowler, I just think Swannehhhh is better, but then Swannehhhhh is the Bradman of bowling so it's all good

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information