• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Bond - Retirement and Tributes

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Bond announced his retirement from test cricket today after receiving medical advice that the abdominal injury he sustained during last month's first test against Pakistan will take longer than expected to heal.

Doesn't surprise at all, but it's a shame he couldn't hold out for the test series against Australia. The greatest what-if in New Zealand cricketing history?

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh for Christ's Sake. One bloody test. He showed he still had enough to play at the top level and he then calls it quits. What a disappointment.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Can't say I'm surprised. I'm done caring about Bond's contribution to NZ cricket - test or otherwise. If he turns up for ODIs, super - but I'm not going to worry if he's there or not.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doesn't surprise at all, but it's a shame he couldn't hold out for the test series against Australia. The greatest what-if in New Zealand cricketing history?
My thoughts exactly.

A really meaningful contribution in tests against the Aussies would mean more to me than a year of two of limited-overs stuff - especially since we've got a useful enough attack without him in ODIs.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Disappointing but not unexpected news. A shame though, after the recent retirement of O'Brien and a similar decision not to play test match cricket from Oram a few months ago.

Days of Grace

International Captain
What the **** was Martin Crowe thinking when he said "Good news, Shane Bond has decided to get fit for the test series against Australia" when he was commetating on the Napier test?

So disappointed right now. What will be the bowling attack for the tests against Australia? Rubbish.

Howsie

International Captain
What the **** was Martin Crowe thinking when he said "Good news, Shane Bond has decided to get fit for the test series against Australia" when he was commetating on the Napier test?

So disappointed right now. What will be the bowling attack for the tests against Australia? Rubbish.
Tuffey
Southee
Martin
Arnel
Boult

Perhaps.

Polo23

International Debutant
Arnel will get the gig surely.

Tuffey
Southee
Arnel
Martin

That will be the pace attack. Is Ryder going to be fit for the Aussies?

Flem274*

123/5
Should be.

If there's no swing or seam around, without Bond and O'Brien I'm a bit nervous. Wellington and Seddon Park do generally provide even contests between bat and ball though so we don't have to panic yet. Napiers going to be even more fun though.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Is Ryder going to be fit for the Aussies?
Highly doubt it.

New Zealand have to keep up the tradition of turning to face the Aussies with a totally depleted side and get spanked.8-)

Just waiting for Vettori to end up having that surgery on his shoulder a week out from the first Aussie test.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Should be.

If there's no swing or seam around, without Bond and O'Brien I'm a bit nervous. Wellington and Seddon Park do generally provide even contests between bat and ball though so we don't have to panic yet. Napiers going to be even more fun though.
Only two tests...

Polo23

International Debutant
Yeah I know. Put Napier in there because we'll play someone there eventually.

Bloody Napier, they should make it a greentop, just for kicks.
They should make all NZ pitches green tops...it's what we used to be known for. Now we are known for ****house slow pieces of crap which don't deteriorate, just become slower and crapper for everyone.