• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Bond - Retirement and Tributes

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Pressure really on Martin to find his old destructive self, Tuffey to find his 03 self, Southee to improve to test standard when its not hooping all over the place.

Arnel will likely be the guy they call in and its a deserved call up. Tough debut but he's a good player, hope he makes it in tests.
Martin had an old destructive self? Once or twice against South Africa but that's it. Agree with the rest of your post though.

Why do our retirements always happen in clumps?? We're going to feel the loss of O'Brien even more now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Believe it or not, before India's tour earlier this year the BCCI had apparently made a big deal about the batsmen-unfriendly green tracks India had played on in the previous tours & wanted better batting tracks. I agree NZ should tell them to p-off & should prepare conditions that the opposition will least enjoy like we used to & like every other cricketing nation does.
Like every other cricketing nation used to more like. In recent years playing to your own strengths has become relatively rare in all countries, with flat decks becoming near-uniform.

Anyway, wish Bond had just retired from Tests in 2007/08 like all signs suggest he was going to before the ICL intervened. I thought that'd be the best course of action then and I certainly think it would've been now if he wasn't going to make this upcoming Australia series.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yes, that was very interesting to read.

Top bloke, imo.

I understand that he always wants to bowl flat-out, but that never really makes for a long career, imo. The great fast bowlers with lonevity never bowled flat-out at all times. The only candidates I think of that might have bowled flat-out on all occasions are Waqar and Donald. Even they would have bowled at 90% at times, surely?

But that was the way he wanted to play the game.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The full interview;

Shane Bond interview: 'I love Test cricket, but I'm also a realist' | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

Interesting bit here;

No, never. People asked me why I didn't ever slow down. But I always saw my value to the team as a strike bowler, Olympic bowler. I give the results because I bowl the way I do. People said I could bowl at 90%. Sure, I have had injures, but I feel I have been a pretty successful bowler the way I am, so why would I change? I'd rather have a shorter career and be successful than stretch it out and let my performance drop.
I dunno what he's worried about, tbh. Blokes like Hadlee/Lillee/Marshall had more success when they throttled back and let the ball do the work. The guy gets such exaggerated movement in the air and off the seam and is just a top bowler. I can only see him being more effective if he brought his pace back a bit.

Get the feeling he just loves bowling fast and that's fair enough. ****, if I had that sort of pace, I'd be getting guys on their step-ladders all the time. But I don't really buy that he'd be less successful.

Days of Grace

International Captain
If I had that pace, I'd let the batsmen have it every now and then, but most of the time I would concentrate on line and length at around 140km/h. That way I would have a longer career.

trapol

U19 12th Man
Thank You Bondy for your contribution to NZ Cricket

You are certainly up there with Hadlee. I will miss not seeing you on the cricket field ever again

God knows how NZ are going to replace him

Athlai

Not Terrible

You are certainly up there with Hadlee. I will miss not seeing you on the cricket field ever again

He still plays T20 and ODIs.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Black Caps fast bowler Shane Bond has announced his retirement from all cricket today, bringing down the curtain on his career eight years after making his debut.

Bond made the statement after arriving home from the ICC World Twenty20 in the West Indies today.

He made the decision last December to retire from Test cricket, and today comes the news of his intention to withdraw from all forms of the game.

"I know the time is right for me to step down. I have given it everything when playing for the Black Caps. I will miss the camaraderie because it has been a privilege to play along such a great bunch of guys who are so committed to do their best for New Zealand.

"Playing with pride for the Black Caps over the years has meant so much to me. I dreamed of playing for New Zealand when I was six. The reality of what has unfolded was more than I could ever hope for and I have been extremely proud to represent New Zealand.

"I am going to miss a lot of this but I know now is the time to bow out. I am very keen at some stage to put something back into the game in New Zealand."

The Canterbury bowler with blistering speed was one of the fastest bowlers in the world but his career was regularly interrupted with injuries.

Bond, for a time, was the number one bowler in the ICC world one day rankings. For a time, he had the best strike rate in tests and one day internationals in NZC history. At his peak, he had the third best strike rate in test cricket history.

Having initially feared his international days were over when he signed with the Delhi Giants for the so-called rebel Indian Cricket League in 2008, an amnesty allowed him to return to the elite fold.

This year, he played IPL cricket for the Kolkata Knight Riders. He decided to honour his contract there, despite security concerns in India following the bomb blasts outside the Chinnaswamy Stadium.

Bond played eight league games for Kolkata, taking nine wickets with an economy-rate of 7.22. The team failed to qualify for the IPL semifinals, so Bond left India early to join his Black Caps comrades as they prepared for the T20 World Championship.

Bond thanked his wife Tracey, his family, his manager Leanne McGoldrick and all those people from club up to national level who helped and supported him over the years.

NZ Cricket chief executive Justin Vaughan paid tribute to Bond's contribution to the game.

"We shall all miss Shane in the international arena. His speed and ability struck fear into batsmen from every team in world cricket. He has been a real match-winner. Shane has had an inspirational presence about him and has been a great role model for younger team mates."

New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori also praised Bond's contribution, and went on to say he hoped Bond could continue to give something to the game by mentoring young and up-and-coming fast bowlers.

The ball that changed Shane Bond's career arrived in a flash with a searing yorker that knocked out Adam Gilchrist's stumps in a VB series match against Australia at Adelaide in 2002. He terrified the Australian batsmen in that game; and in that series.

A Kiwi bowling star was born on the world cricketing stage. There's something about the Australians that brought the best out of Bond. In 17 ODIs against them he took 44 wickets at 15.79 runs per wicket, with a Black Caps limited-overs best performance of 6 for 23.

Cricket: Bond pulls pin on career - Cricket - NZ Herald News

AaronK

State Regular

damnnnnnnn..

r u a Psychic? tell me when i am going to meet the right woman and get married and have children lol

Ya... NZ's James (shane) bond has retired.. I have always enjoyed him and even when he was in ICL I never stopped supporting the guy..good luck to him.. it was always pleasure seeing bowle..

Athlai

Not Terrible
Good luck to him, always tried his best when out on the field for New Zealand and rarely dissappointed on the park. With a little more luck with injuries he could have been one of the modern greats.

Huge blow for New Zealand this.

Craig

World Traveller
Good luck to him, always tried his best when out on the field for New Zealand and rarely dissappointed on the park. With a little more luck with injuries he could have been one of the modern greats.

Huge blow for New Zealand this.
You would think they would be used to playing without him by now. Sad to see him go BTW.

Last edited: