• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please can the ICC ban CSA from world cricket!!

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
They didn't actually say that, Ali Bacher made the statement that everyone he had asked about it had answered with "no". A lot of us on CW at the time found that very dubious.
Memory is vague but I’m sure Captain Smith, Vince Van der Bijl and Telford Vice echoed Bacher's comments. If memory serves me right, they were brazen in that.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They didn't actually say that, Ali Bacher made the statement that everyone he had asked about it had answered with "no". A lot of us on CW at the time found that very dubious.
Well if Ali Bacher was the only person they asked that question tom technically what I said was correct :p
However, he wasn't the only person they asked and he wasn't the only person who said that.
That's how I remember it anyway.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I am sure I have posted quotes on here previously from government officials stating there will never again be an all white cricket team regardless of ability.

That is the situation. It isnt likely to change in the near future.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am sure I have posted quotes on here previously from government officials stating there will never again be an all white cricket team regardless of ability.

That is the situation. It isnt likely to change in the near future.
Yeah, I don't doubt that. But I still find it hard to believe the sentiment is that universal in South Africa.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I don't doubt that. But I still find it hard to believe the sentiment is that universal in South Africa.
It doesnt have to be universal. Just has to be the opinion of certain policy makers or people with an agenda. Certain aspects of the ANC are militant and have extreme thoughts. Their influence isnt huge but concessions still need to be made within the government to keep a vocal part happy. Quotas are one of these issues.

Most whites I know are against quotas, most blacks I know that play cricket are against quotas. That is still a small minority against most blacks that have no interest in cricket where many favour quotas or targets. Quotas are an easy thing for a govt to point to that shows they have the interest of the 'people' at heart even if the country is falling apart.

If you think this is a sporting issue you need to re-think. This is a political issue.

They are not going anywhere soon. Practical advice would be to figure how to exist in the system and take it from there.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
It doesnt have to be universal. Just has to be the opinion of certain policy makers or people with an agenda. Certain aspects of the ANC are militant and have extreme thoughts. Their influence isnt huge but concessions still need to be made within the government to keep a vocal part happy. Quotas are one of these issues.

Most whites I know are against quotas, most blacks I know that play cricket are against quotas. That is still a small minority against most blacks that have no interest in cricket where many favour quotas or targets. Quotas are an easy thing for a govt to point to that shows they have the interest of the 'people' at heart even if the country is falling apart.

If you think this is a sporting issue you need to re-think. This is a political issue.

They are not going anywhere soon. Practical advice would be to figure how to exist in the system and take it from there.
This. India faces the same issue only the quota is for education in the top institutes. Politics need such quotas for the leaders to prove they care.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
the point is race should NOT be a factor full stop.

quota systems are inherently racist in this particular context and 'fast tracking' is merely another name for quotas.
And in the link posted in the first thread where does it talk about Quotas ? And no fast tracking isn't same as quotas especially when it is followed by "We will never put any player in the national team unless they are ready,".

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
This. India faces the same issue only the quota is for education in the top institutes. Politics need such quotas for the leaders to prove they care.
So how do we bring the socially ignored and untouchables into the mainstream then ?

Sir Alex

Banned
Agreed. The bigot is entailed to an opinion but I advocate the banning of jboss because he is an illiterate duplicate who seems to get so worked up about racism but can’t even spell racist correctly.

My personal opinion on transformation is that it should be pursued ardently at grass roots level but once you go professional, you are on your own. Hashim Amla would not be a test cricketer if it wasn’t for transformation and Ntini would still be living in a township, so in that regard it has done immeasurable good but it is when pursue transformation dogmatically by numbers you have casualties such as Ontong and Rudolph. I will be watching South Africa next week in Durban and fifteen years ago the majority of cricket fans in Durban supported anyone but South Africa (use to cheer for Pakistan and India) but now because of the likes of Hashim Amla they support the Proteas because they are represented. The national side now has relevance.
'Tis. Very nicely put.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
So how do we bring the socially ignored and untouchables into the mainstream then ?
As some one else mentioned the help should be restricted to the grass root levels. Improve school education throughout the country. Special incentives could be given to teachers who teach in villages. This would attract more competent teachers. But don't give reservations for higher studies. We wouldn't want to trust our lives with guys who aren't good enough to be a doctor on merit.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Graeme Smith definitely voiced the opinion than an all white South African side should never happen again.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
As some one else mentioned the help should be restricted to the grass root levels. Improve school education throughout the country. Special incentives could be given to teachers who teach in villages. This would attract more competent teachers. But don't give reservations for higher studies. We wouldn't want to trust our lives with guys who aren't good enough to be a doctor on merit.
This. Spoon feeding every step of the way isn't going to help.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Lol at precam advocating the banning of jboss. I don't war him banned, I could just live without exactly the same rant thread being created every 72 hours.

jboss

Banned
Agreed. The bigot is entailed to an opinion but I advocate the banning of jboss because he is an illiterate duplicate who seems to get so worked up about racism but can’t even spell racist correctly.

My personal opinion on transformation is that it should be pursued ardently at grass roots level but once you go professional, you are on your own. Hashim Amla would not be a test cricketer if it wasn’t for transformation and Ntini would still be living in a township, so in that regard it has done immeasurable good but it is when pursue transformation dogmatically by numbers you have casualties such as Ontong and Rudolph. I will be watching South Africa next week in Durban and fifteen years ago the majority of cricket fans in Durban supported anyone but South Africa (use to cheer for Pakistan and India) but now because of the likes of Hashim Amla they support the Proteas because they are represented. The national side now has relevance.
Think you need to go an read again how I spelt racist up in 1st post and yes I am entitled like everyone to make a typo or two and I usually fix these when there is an auto spell check function. As for Let me google that for you I think I am more literate than you given that I was forced to learn English as a second language at the age of 6 and then norsk at the age of 25. Please enlighten me on how many languages you can speak, read and write?

Briony

International Debutant
Smith said earlier this year that he wouldn't captain an all-white team but he seemed to be implying that he wouldn't need to because of the numbers of non-white players coming through.

There may have been some need to have quotas for a decade or so while the people who previously weren't exposed to cricket became more attuned to it etc. However it should now only be applied vigorously at the grassroots level. It's dubious to have it at provincial level as well and the idea of a quota is racist by definition. For eg. it has got to the stage whereby if they pick Ntini to maintain a quota it actually negatively affects the people it's meant to benefit. Ntini's performance and long-term presence should have already benefited black cricket by inspiring numbers to take up the game etc. If they see that he's no longer picked on merit but a quota criterion, they will start to see it as tokenism and it will undo the good work it's done.

I've also read where some of the non-white players such as Gibbs have attended schools which some white people/cricketers couldn't afford yet he was always considered as someone who could fulfil the quota limit whether in form or not. This seems a tad hypocritical.

jboss

Banned
Smith said earlier this year that he wouldn't captain an all-white team but he seemed to be implying that he wouldn't need to because of the numbers of non-white players coming through.

There may have been some need to have quotas for a decade or so while the people who previously weren't exposed to cricket became more attuned to it etc. However it should now only be applied vigorously at the grassroots level. It's dubious to have it at provincial level as well and the idea of a quota is racist by definition. For eg. it has got to the stage whereby if they pick Ntini to maintain a quota it actually negatively affects the people it's meant to benefit. Ntini's performance and long-term presence should have already benefited black cricket by inspiring numbers to take up the game etc. If they see that he's no longer picked on merit but a quota criterion, they will start to see it as tokenism and it will undo the good work it's done.

I've also read where some of the non-white players such as Gibbs have attended schools which some white people/cricketers couldn't afford yet he was always considered as someone who could fulfil the quota limit whether in form or not. This seems a tad hypocritical.
1stly BEE and quotas are very offensive. ask most modern black person in SA if they like to be hired into a company over and above a white candidate who gets 100% grades and most will answer no as it is offensive to think that you are hired for your skin color and not education. What Mr Majola has stated in that article is that black kids will be targeted for development as a priority and it would appear to me that many think it's ok to have quotas at grass root level, however what CSA forget is that there are millions of white kids, indian kids, coloured kids in this country WHO all deserve equal opportunities at development in all sports. I don't see why todays children must pay for our parents mistakes like this? By doing this CSA are surely just creating a vicious circle and ensuring that the unwanted history of our country stays with us well into the future. If the government wished to develop sport in a non-racist mannor then it would be far better to have a clinic to teach all sports in each and every community.

As mentioned above, I am waiting after 20 years to see a football clinic in a white community. for those that don't know, in apartheid there was a stigma attached to football as a low class sport shich very much still lives on today with almost zero white xhools offering it as a sport at thier school.