• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please can the ICC ban CSA from world cricket!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1st account yucca if u wanna check it up.... don't see the point though as the wprse that can happen is an IP ban which I can get around anyway and why waste the time? I believe in freedom of speech and I know such things don't exist on internet but all it would prove is that there are a bunch of tossers here who don't believe in human rights. Tankfully there a numerous amount of ways to garuntee I have a voice even with an IP ban. :laugh:
There are also hundreds of ways to get around people who try to get around being banned. Several of which the moderators on CW.n are required to demonstrate regularly.

A voice is no good whatsoever - completely pointless - unless people take seriously what you say. I'd suggest you spend a bit of time trying to post more sensibly and be taken a bit more seriously than bang-on about freedom-of-speech rubbish.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On the topic, just about, but did anyone watch the Out of The Wilderness series during the Test matches when SA were touring England in '08?

One thing that has really stuck with me after that series is how absolutely everybody they interviewed about the future of SA cricket said they would never like to see an all white SA cricket team.

Asking jboss or anyother South African here, what is the general feeling in SA towards the "targets"? Obviously jboss is very clearly against them, as am I personally, but do large sections of the cricket following public aggree with/accept them?

jboss

Banned
I don't think anyone will be able to tell you as the general attitude in SA is "no one cares" when it comes to things like this and any poll in any online newspaper is alway met with racist spats. I don't think people give it much thought as there are far bigger issues in SA that race in sports.

Shri

Mr. Glass
1st account yucca if u wanna check it up.... don't see the point though as the wprse that can happen is an IP ban which I can get around anyway and why waste the time? I believe in freedom of speech and I know such things don't exist on internet but all it would prove is that there are a bunch of tossers here who don't believe in human rights. Tankfully there a numerous amount of ways to garuntee I have a voice even with an IP ban. :laugh:
We need to talk. Will send you a mail.:ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I think the idea of targeting certain races and promoting and encouraging their skills above others is inherently as racist as it gets, regardless of the motives and over-riding thought process, so I actually do agree with jboss to an extent.
It would be if the 50 years prior to that didn't happen.
So all of a sudden two wrongs make a right? What a stupid argument.
I've always thought the words of Matthew Engel (2006) resonate best on this matter: "Non-merit selection is racist. That racism may be a legitimate redress for what has happened in the past, but non-merit selection is still racist."

There is undoubtedly something in the fact that there needs to be encouragement meted-out to previously disadvantaged people. However, it simply reviles me the idea of the colour of someone's skin making the remotest impact on considering whether they should be selected or not. Quotas are overwhelmingly from what I understand the product of Black Nationalistic idiocy (ie, South Africa isn't all-white so the sporting sides HAVE to reflect that at ABSOLUTELY EVERY given time), rather than any genuine desire for the desireable outcome of encouraging the previously disadvantaged. Those who have the ultimate control seem more interested in the end than the means, which is never, ever a good way to be going about things. A multi-racial team which is weaker than a single-race team is preferable in the minds of those behind the quota ideas to a single-race team which is stronger than a multi-racial one.

Flem274*

123/5
I want to vomit when I read things like this... Sport - Error

Clearly CSA are alone in world cricket and not trying to find a team on merit. A search on cricket south africa on wikipedia gives clear reasons for us being banned due to racial ploicies in team selection and in the last 10 years these have had an impact on cricket for other countries. I am not going to lay into the quality of english cricket but I think it is disgusting that they won the ashes under Vaughn thanks to a big part from CSA racist polcies that drove KP to thier shores. There is nothing more sickening than watching us not win a test match either because the other team has a bat that left because of this kind of BS. Good luck to CSA and thier objectives. I now support Norway **** this ****.
Someone ban this dull troll.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So all of a sudden two wrongs make a right? What a stupid argument.
It would be if it was what SS or anyone else was actually saying. But I don't believe that was one of the reasons for quotas/targets/whatever they're called nowadays. Yes, of course they're a consequence of what went before, that doesn't make it a case of tit for tat.

Beleg

International Regular
Don't pick players who are black. But develop them as they are your majority population and they don't play that much proper cricket. There is nothing racist about that. That is breaking the race barrier, in fact.
the point is race should NOT be a factor full stop.

quota systems are inherently racist in this particular context and 'fast tracking' is merely another name for quotas.

and all of ye advocating a ban for jboss need to lighten the **** up and learn to tolerate POV's radically different from yours

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's a difference between only picking black Africans when they are ready and only picking them when they are best players available, though. At any given time there are many, many players in each country who you could argue were "ready" for Test cricket, but only eleven actually get to play.

Personally I think the idea of targeting certain races and promoting and encouraging their skills above others is inherently as racist as it gets, regardless of the motives and over-riding thought process, so I actually do agree with jboss to an extent. If players start getting picked for South Africa because they are black and they wouldn't have been picked if they weren't, we have a big, big problem. As it stands there aren't any cricketers playing for South Africa who I'd just consider to be 'quota' selections, but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be if Duminy, Prince, Amla and Ntini didn't exist or were worse cricketers than they are.
AWTA. Shocking, I know.

jboss

Banned
AWTA. Shocking, I know.
The point is being missed (gather from reading the replies). It's not about quotas anymore but now becomes about priority development of black talent as Mr Majola stated. Now as offensive as this is already, I would like to know if my son is going to benefit at all if he is white from CSA cricket development. The answer sounds like a know as this is not thier priority. It's a big stab into the back of many fans when the money they spent will be targeted at developing players based on race. I don't wish to blow this out of praportion but it just seems that SA sports fans re the ****ing joke of the planet for all the scandals we have to put up with. Hansie, Caster Semenia, Jake White, camp staldraad and quotas etc. The rest of the world doesn't care even though it lowers the level of competition and all they do is say ty when players leave our shores because of it. South Africa needs healing because of the past and sport would be the number one opporunity to provide that but continues to be dealt with in an unsatisfactory mannor. In fact the only time I EVER hear about race in SA is from governement andsports.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The point is being missed (gather from reading the replies). It's not about quotas anymore but now becomes about priority development of black talent as Mr Majola stated. Now as offensive as this is already, I would like to know if my son is going to benefit at all if he is white from CSA cricket development. The answer sounds like a know as this is not thier priority. It's a big stab into the back of many fans when the money they spent will be targeted at developing players based on race. I don't wish to blow this out of praportion but it just seems that SA sports fans re the ****ing joke of the planet for all the scandals we have to put up with. Hansie, Caster Semenia, Jake White, camp staldraad and quotas etc. The rest of the world doesn't care even though it lowers the level of competition and all they do is say ty when players leave our shores because of it. South Africa needs healing because of the past and sport would be the number one opporunity to provide that but continues to be dealt with in an unsatisfactory mannor. In fact the only time I EVER hear about race in SA is from governement andsports.
The answer is not much. If you have a white son I recommend you send him to the most expensive prep school you can afford and then to a top school when they are older. It will help them in life and will help them in their cricket. They will have access to top level facilities and coaching. However, dont expect much money to be spent on developing poor white talent.

"'n Boer maak 'n plan"

jboss

Banned
The answer is not much. If you have a white son I recommend you send him to the most expensive prep school you can afford and then to a top school when they are older. It will help them in life and will help them in their cricket. They will have access to top level facilities and coaching. However, dont expect much money to be spent on developing poor white talent.

"'n Boer maak 'n plan"
Thats a very valid point. I asked CSA why they just can't get together with other sporting bodies and just leave the race thing and agree to open up sporting clinics for all sports in ALL communities. Not expecting a reply soon. Any South African here can tell u that there is a lack of white intrest in football and that that too is to blame from the apartheid regim and how it potraid the sport yet I have seen nothing in 20 years being done to develop white footballers. I went to 4 schools in my life an only one offered football.

Uppercut

I'm kind-of right behind you from a moral perspective tbh, but I can't really make such a comment with any force about a country I've never even been to.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
the point is race should NOT be a factor full stop.

quota systems are inherently racist in this particular context and 'fast tracking' is merely another name for quotas.

and all of ye advocating a ban for jboss need to lighten the **** up and learn to tolerate POV's radically different from yours
Agreed. The bigot is entailed to an opinion but I advocate the banning of jboss because he is an illiterate duplicate who seems to get so worked up about racism but can’t even spell racist correctly.

My personal opinion on transformation is that it should be pursued ardently at grass roots level but once you go professional, you are on your own. Hashim Amla would not be a test cricketer if it wasn’t for transformation and Ntini would still be living in a township, so in that regard it has done immeasurable good but it is when pursue transformation dogmatically by numbers you have casualties such as Ontong and Rudolph. I will be watching South Africa next week in Durban and fifteen years ago the majority of cricket fans in Durban supported anyone but South Africa (use to cheer for Pakistan and India) but now because of the likes of Hashim Amla they support the Proteas because they are represented. The national side now has relevance.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

"'n Boer maak 'n plan"
If he is poor he might benefit. Vaughan van Jaarsveld learnt to play cricket through the same system as young black African cricketers (though VB ended up at Graeme Smith’s school) and it was his ‘defection’ which hit Majola the hardest because they invested time and money in him.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Alfonso Thomas, Garnett Kruger, Robbie P, POC cricketers on Kolpak contracts, all see their futures abroad in England. Yet they move for economic and personal reasons yet when a white cricketer moves there are ulterior motives when majority of the time the rationale is the same, they want more money and a perceived better way of life.

If I was fortunate enough to play cricket despite having blue eyes and white skin, I too would be considered a POC but I wouldn't want to live in South Africa. My cousin (a POC) is currently playing for KwaZulu-Natal Inland U19 but he will probably end up in the UK if he makes it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
On the topic, just about, but did anyone watch the Out of The Wilderness series during the Test matches when SA were touring England in '08?

One thing that has really stuck with me after that series is how absolutely everybody they interviewed about the future of SA cricket said they would never like to see an all white SA cricket team.

Asking jboss or anyother South African here, what is the general feeling in SA towards the "targets"? Obviously jboss is very clearly against them, as am I personally, but do large sections of the cricket following public aggree with/accept them?
That particular quote worried me.

If the 11 best cricketers in the country are white/coloured/black/Asian, then that's the XI that should take the field.

Uppercut

They didn't actually say that, Ali Bacher made the statement that everyone he had asked about it had answered with "no". A lot of us on CW at the time found that very dubious.