Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Fascinating Stuff on Murali's action

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

Fascinating Stuff on Murali's action

Some of you may have seen these videos before. I hadn't and I am really fascinated.

Have a look and judge for yourself.

1. Gilchrist's claim about Murali being a chucker and a physio's rejoinder

2. Murali on live TV with Shastri as presenter and Slater as batsman bowling with a steel and rigid plastic brace on.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Im not going to get drawn into a Murali debate but I will comment on the first clip.

The Sky News segment comments that the problem is that Murali bowls with a bent arm. Um, no its not. There is nothing illegal about bowling with a bent arm. The issue is whether it straightens. You would think they would at least know the issue.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Im not going to get drawn into a Murali debate but I will comment on the first clip.

The Sky News segment comments that the problem is that Murali bowls with a bent arm. Um, no its not. There is nothing illegal about bowling with a bent arm. The issue is whether it straightens. You would think they would at least know the issue.
    tbh, Sky News is not in the minority.. The majority of the cricket fans around the world, including some pretty well known ones here seemed to have thought the same...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Dont see the point on these new threads, everyone who thinks he chucks wont change their opinion ever and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Dont see the point on these new threads, everyone who thinks he chucks wont change their opinion ever and vice versa.
    Thinks? Of course he chucks it

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Dont be so sure. I always thought he chucked. I am not so sure today.

And I am a stickler for these things and I consider the 15 degree law criminal.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

Goughy. Did you see the second clip where he bowls in a brace? Thats the one that amazed me. Have a look if you haven't.

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Okay the second clip may have won me over. Pretty amazing stuff really, Murali's mutant like haha.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson, MJ Santner and IS Sodhi, TL Seifert and ZN Gibson

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Okay the second clip may have won me over. Pretty amazing stuff really, Murali's mutant like haha.
    I was truly astonished to see that one. I always thought that, inspite of the accepted fact that Murali had this genetic condition in his elbow, wrist etc but I thought he should not be allowed to get away with exploiting this defect. I was sure he was bending/flecxing at the elbow in his delivery. This brace had me thinking.

That does not, however, explain all the other doosra bowlers who do not have Murali's special problems (or blessings if you please) of his joints. With normal body you can not bowl a doosra without bending at the elbow. I would like someone to ask Shastri to do the same experiment with Harbhajan's elbow in a brace and then ask him to bowl the doosra.

What the 15 degree law does is it opens the way for all those like Harbjajan (and hundreds of youngster's in India and Pakistan) who are bowling what are clearly illegal in spirit of what the original law was all about.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Saw that a few years ago and haven't thought he chucked since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

I love the way he doesn't say anything the entire time as opposed to Slater who doesn't stop once given the chance.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I was truly astonished to see that one. I always thought that, inspite of the accepted fact that Murali had this genetic condition in his elbow, wrist etc but I thought he should not be allowed to get away with exploiting this defect. I was sure he was bending/flecxing at the elbow in his delivery. This brace had me thinking.

That does not, however, explain all the other doosra bowlers who do not have Murali's special problems (or blessings if you please) of his joints. With normal body you can not bowl a doosra without bending at the elbow. I would like someone to ask Shastri to do the same experiment with Harbhajan's elbow in a brace and then ask him to bowl the doosra.

What the 15 degree law does is it opens the way for all those like Harbjajan (and hundreds of youngster's in India and Pakistan) who are bowling what are clearly illegal in spirit of what the original law was all about.
    I knew you though he chucked it, SJS. But I thought that only pertained to his doosra? Do you believe he chucks all his deliveries? If so, I find that a little odd, as certain posts you have made seem to suggest that you hold his bowling in high regard.

The second clip is a good one, and one I have seen before. However, it still does not address the possibility that Murali may now throw in test matches with virtual impunity - albeit, I think, without intending to do so (especially for instance towards the tail end of long spells or a lot of bowling or when looking for something extra when bowling on unhelpful surfaces). His action has changed over the years, for a while there, it was quite dirty and was more prone to looking bad when Murali was doing a decent amount of bowling. He did some remedial work on it and came back a better bowler for it - this was in the early 2000s IIRC.

I sort of agree with doubts concerning the doosra. Murali may be the only bowler able to pull it off, but even he, I think, skirts too close to the legal line in doing so, and some deliveries I have seen have been a little too dodgy for comfort. My other issue is that I think, in some ways, it made him a worse spin bowler. At times I have rationalised it with the thought that I dont mind fast bowlers working on the ball in this era of big bats, flat pitches, and shortened boundaries - but that remains a rationalisation, and not a very good one at that. Especially when one takes into account other young spin bowlers. I still havent made up my mind about that.

Cricket Champion!
    Well, in the beginning I was a fervent believer that he chucked it. Thanks to this forum and the people who persisted in giving me the facts I did a 180 ().
    ★★★★★

Good Luck Slates in trying to convince folks back home. Not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    And I am a stickler for these things and I consider the 15 degree law criminal.
    Why ? If you believe the technology exonerates Murali then why not trust the same technology when it says :-
    "according to the old law 99% of the international bowlers were found to be breaching the set figure"

Obviously the set figure is 5% for spinners and 10% for pace bowlers.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information