• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fascinating Stuff on Murali's action

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Judging by the grip and how he holds the ball in the gather, I'm pretty sure that he bowls his more like a carrom ball, a la Mendis, which went big in the rough rather than a "traditional" doosra.
Thanks, kinda explains it why his arm is relatively straight compared to Saqlain's. It also shows that one can bowl a Doosra without chucking. But at the same time there is a Bend which is more than 5 Degrees.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Fairly old news. He chucks. The fact that he can't straighten his arm completely proves nothing - unless he bowls in a Test Match with the brace on.
Personally, I would be disgusted at the sport if it ever comes or had come to that.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
He obviously isn't going to, and nor should he. But it would be the only way for him to get throught a match without being accused of chucking.
Disagree. IMO that wouldn't me enough for some folks either. There is nothing Murali can do.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dont be so sure. I always thought he chucked. I am not so sure today.

And I am a stickler for these things and I consider the 15 degree law criminal.
Yeah, we posted that video a while back in one of the more structured debates on the topic. Everyone just saw what they wanted to see and concluded what they had previously believed.

Personally I think more compelling evidence exists than that in the form of the 300fps slo-mo analysis of his action undertaken by the ICC. If you're willing to ignore that, you'll surely be willing to ignore a video in youtube of the guy bowling with his arm in a brace?

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
Muralies a pretty cool cat to go through all that, got to say it's cleared any doubt I had about his action tbh. To the naked eye, it looks like chucking, but clearly its an exceptional circumstance, with a guy who's body was basically made to take 800 test wickets.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah some people will always maintain that he chucks it, that is never going to change. From a personal point of view I always hoped (and thought although you can never be sure) that he didn't and am very happy to accept that judgement from with those with the technology and knowledge that he doesnt. Will be interesting to see how he is regarded after his retirement.

Sir Alex

Banned
I have adoubt. I dont know why chucking is so seriously taken as an offence in cricket when it is spinners who are chucking. I mean, chucking was outlawed basically because it helped the "fast" bowler to bowl at incredible speeds and dangerous for the batsman. However I don't understand how that applies to a spinner. If Murali is chucking and hence getting turn, why not make it the law and let spinners get that amount of turn by chucking as well?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I have adoubt. I dont know why chucking is so seriously taken as an offence in cricket when it is spinners who are chucking. I mean, chucking was outlawed basically because it helped the "fast" bowler to bowl at incredible speeds and dangerous for the batsman. However I don't understand how that applies to a spinner. If Murali is chucking and hence getting turn, why not make it the law and let spinners get that amount of turn by chucking as well?
Because it lets them get more turn? Jeez.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Have seen footage of him bowling with the brace on before, but not the extended piece with the explanation of the shoulder, the demonstration of the brace. Pretty convincing for mine.

I'm a bit like Ikki in that I was pretty much adament that he did chuck it based on watching him, but have definitely mellowed on that in the last couple of years. Reckon I can say now that I accept he bowls legit.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
For me it's never been about whether he can bowl legal deliveries, as it's been amply demonstrated that he is able to so do; it's a question of whether he always does.

Shabbir Ahmed could bowl legally, it was just that he didn't always.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well, there are plenty of bowlers who probably chuck the odd effort ball, or ball at the end of a long spell. Always have been, always will, unless the mandate of the umpire referral scheme gets dramatically expanded.

EDIT: ****, that would be awesome! Imagine the bitch-fighting that could go on in tour threads when the third umpire, in addition to checking for front-foot no-balls was obliged to check elbow flexion on EVERY decision referred to them! :laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well, there are plenty of bowlers who probably chuck the odd effort ball, or ball at the end of a long spell. Always have been, always will, unless the mandate of the umpire referral scheme gets dramatically expanded.
Yeah, I'd never suggest otherwise, but the fact that it's happened before is a poor reason not to enforce the chucking law now.

As I've probably said more than once before, we're now stuck with an abortion of a law that can only be applied retrospectively until technology catches up. I don't think there's any doubt that the law is indirectly attributable to Murali. I just hope that when he retires the powers-that-be apply a more common sense approach in lieu of the technology.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
True, but it also shows his desperation to win over the fans from all over especially from Australia. It is sad that he has to go through this and worse is that it will not be enough.