• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has more money made the Australian cricketers bogans?

iamdavid

International Debutant
David Beckham does all that and he's a bogan if ever I saw one. And Mark Waugh loves the trots = bogan.

Of the current set up -
Katich - non bogan
Watson - metrosexual bogan
Ponting - bogan made good
Hussey - non bogan
Clarke - metrosexual bogan
North - non bogan I'd say
Haddin - non bogan
Johnson - metrosexual, but not bogan IMO
Hauritz - Non bogan
Siddle - Bogan
Bollinger - Bogan
Hilfenhaus - Tasmanian
Hughes - Bogan
Clark - non bogan
McKay - non bogan
Lee - metrosexual but not bogan
I strongly dispute the classification of Haddin and Johnson as non-bogans...if you listen to them being interviewed you'll detect a strong bogan-twang from both of them, and a high instance of boganisms such as "yeah nah" in their speech. Haddin played his early cricket for Queanbeyan and is an avid rugby league fan...BOGAN!

Also not sure about Lee, I think he belongs in the "bogan made good" category along with Ponting.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lee is waaay too pretty to be a bogan.

I'm rather enjoying this thread actually. On a related note, many thanks to Paul Stirling for improving Ireland's spide quota:

Last edited:

Top_Cat

I strongly dispute the classification of Haddin and Johnson as non-bogans...if you listen to them being interviewed you'll detect a strong bogan-twang from both of them, and a high instance of boganisms such as "yeah nah" in their speech. Haddin played his early cricket for Queanbeyan and is an avid rugby league fan...BOGAN!
Don't all Eastern staters sound like that?

jeevan

International 12th Man
Like the Indian players. Just thinking about the whereabouts clause.8-)
Nah, the equivalent of bogans in India dont really get close to organized cricket, there's a sad reality of grinding poverty involved. (I can think only of Munaf Patel in the present bunch who is the exception, and while he's had adjustment issues he's brought no shame to himself). Many Indian players are among the better gentlemen around in all of sport (thinking of Tendulkar, Dravid and Kumble) and even players from modest economic backgrounds seem to carry themselves with significant dignity (thinking of Jaffer & Irfan Pathan here).

Most crass behavior from Indian players is (relatively speaking) plain upper class trash.

I suspect the same is true for other subcontinental teams as well. I can think only of Asif whose background probably might fit a bogan description and who lived up to the expectations of that epithet.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, it's extremely hard, even now, for lower middle class to get involved with cricket. Forget about the real poor people. The actual # of people who have access to real cricket facilities, and thus the actual pool of potential cricketers, is much lower than many people outside the subcontinent think. Hell, I was middle class, but certainly not poor, and I had never held a real cricket ball or put on a real cricket pad, or seen a real cricket pitch. We used to play with tennis balls, and 99% of people I knew had never done so either. The stuff is way too expensive to afford on a $100/month salary of your parents.

Last edited:

Burgey

Yes, it's extremely hard, even now, for lower middle class to get involved with cricket. Forget about the real poor people. The actual # of people who have access to real cricket facilities, and thus the actual pool of potential cricketers, is much lower than many people outside the subcontinent think. Hell, I was middle class, but certainly not poor, and I had never held a real cricket ball or put on a real cricket pad, or seen a real cricket pitch. We used to play with tennis balls, and 99% of people I knew had never done so either. The stuff is way too expensive to afford on a $100/month salary of your parents.
I thought you're a septic?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Praveen Kumar is an indian bogan surely? Beats up people.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, bogan's more a bloke wearing a flanny, pair of footy shorts, thongs and a mullet.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Always do a double take when I see "thongs" used for what we call flip-flops over here. Conjours up some strange mental pictures of hairy arsed blokes with g-strings pulled right up their cracks. :ph34r:

Er, anyway, bogan more of an American style "white trash" kinda thing then?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Always do a double take when I see "thongs" used for what we call flip-flops over here. Conjours up some strange mental pictures of hairy arsed blokes with g-strings pulled right up their cracks. :ph34r:

Er, anyway, bogan more of an American style "white trash" kinda thing then?
Closer to chav than trailer trash I'd say, but with elements of both. Do you get Kath and Kim over there?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Same for me. But it's a very accurate portrayal of the type of person we're talking about.