Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has more money made the Australian cricketers bogans?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    What exactly does this "bogan" mean? I'd always presumed it was a fairly broad term along the lines of "****", "****", "****", "****" and "numpty", but this thread seems to suggest there's more to it.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What exactly does this "bogan" mean? I'd always presumed it was a fairly broad term along the lines of "****", "****", "****", "****" and "numpty", but this thread seems to suggest there's more to it.
    Good old Wikipedia informs me it's the Aus/NZ equivalent of "chav" or "pikey". Basically, someone from a lower class background.

Yeah, I'd always assumed it was broadly analogous to "chav" in the UK, although it seems to be wider in its application as you can be a bogan at any age, whereas chav is more aimed at the young underclass.

"Pikey" is actually a more specific insult tho; was originally a slur on gypsies or travellers.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Bogans in NZ generally wear black jeans and t-shirts dedicated to whiskey/bourbon/other hard liquor brands (or black singlets if they can't afford t-shirts), drive old cars such as a Ford Falcon and Holden Commodores and occasionally dabble in weed.

Basically Perm multiplied by about 400,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Good old Wikipedia informs me it's the Aus/NZ equivalent of "chav" or "pikey". Basically, someone from a lower class background.
    I see. Not that I'm a fan of the term CHAV (strictly speaking it is actually an acronym - council housed and violent) but if this thread was "has more money made the England cricketers CHAVs?" I'd think "haha, bad use of terminology there".

Surely "has more money made the Australian cricketers ****s?" would've been better?
    Last edited by Richard; 21-12-2009 at 02:26 PM.

How to be a good bogan - wikiHow

When I tell people from other countries, especially those who don't speak English as a first language, what a bogan is, andthey don't understand, I just tell them that they are trailer park trash, and then they seem to understand.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I always assumed that it was the Australian version of a hillbilly or a country bumpkin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Lol, I think if anything the Australian team at the moment is far less bogan than it has been for much of the recent past...look at some of the sides from the late 80's and early 90's for example..

You had Warne, Merv Hughes, Boonie (Bogan idol), Dean Jones, Border, Mike Whitney, Bruce Reid...several borderline bogans like Slater, Taylor, Mark Waugh.

There are only really 2 to 4 genuine bogans in or around the side at the moment..
    Bollinger and Siddle = obvious bogans
    Haddin, Johnson = pretty similar
    Stuart Clark, Mike Hussey, Clint McKay = University educated..not bogans
    Shane Watson and Michael Clarke = wax their chests, wear designer clothing, appear in underwear ads and date famous women...about as un-bogan as you'll find.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pollock View Post
    I guess what i am asking are bogans overrepresented in the current side.

If bogans say make up 20% of the population, they should have only one or two bogans in the side. But the current make up is more like 80-90%.

Why are is there more Haddins in the side than Stuey Clark's?
    You sound like Stalin talking about Kulak's, will be shipping them of to the Gulag soon.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    BlackJack Champion! Karts Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    Shane Watson and Michael Clarke = wax their chests, wear designer clothing, appear in underwear ads and date famous women...about as un-bogan as you'll find.
    They are part of a bogan sub-set: Lady/boy bogans

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    I see. Not that I'm a fan of the term CHAV (strictly speaking it is actually an acronym - council housed and violent) but if this thread was "has more money made the England cricketers CHAVs?" I'd think "haha, bad use of terminology there".

Surely "has more money made the Australian cricketers ****s?" would've been better?
    Don't think you can be strict about it at all, tbh. Was under the impression no-one knows the One True Origin. Anyone know whether it's related to 'chavo'? Has a similar meaning after all.

Don't think you can be strict about it at all, tbh. Was under the impression no-one knows the One True Origin. Anyone know whether it's related to 'chavo'? Has a similar meaning after all.
    Think Richards explanation is a myth, there were loads of explinations of its origins given around the time that it came into common use. Like any social label of course it took on a meaning of its own and came to encompass all sort of different groups and people.

Not sure if there is an absolutely accepted origin - one of the reasons I'm not keen on it is that it isn't really a word at all, it's just vague slang - but that's one I've heard many times. Wouldn't be at all surprised if that's where it came from.

David Beckham does all that and he's a bogan if ever I saw one. And Mark Waugh loves the trots = bogan.

Of the current set up -
    Katich - non bogan
    Watson - metrosexual bogan
    Ponting - bogan made good
    Hussey - non bogan
    Clarke - metrosexual bogan
    North - non bogan I'd say
    Haddin - non bogan
    Johnson - metrosexual, but not bogan IMO
    Hauritz - Non bogan
    Siddle - Bogan
    Bollinger - Bogan
    Hilfenhaus - Tasmanian
    Hughes - Bogan
    Clark - non bogan
    McKay - non bogan
    Lee - metrosexual but not bogan
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Tasmanians don't fit the bogan ring then? They can't be bogans regardless?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information