• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has more money made the Australian cricketers bogans?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Develops a sense of entitlement, players are isolated from reality, have an elevated sense of self-worth etc. Could go on forever.

Look at the NBA for countless examples.
Bogan /= new monied trash, though there's probably a few of both in the team tbh.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Recently heard at an Australian team dinner:

Bogans? The Aussie cricketers? No chance. Tell Andrew Pollock he's dreamin'.
Could be worse

Oz cricket team could go to the same hairdresser as the All Blacks and then we'd have a team of bogans with mullets, blonde tints and dreadlocks

Craig

World Traveller
I don't know about all of the Aussie team being bogan, but Peter Siddle looks like a bogan to me.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, a lot of them are bogans. A lot of sportspeople are. That's universal, in all cricket teams (although the terms and specific indicators would vary from country to country) and all sports.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What exactly does this "bogan" mean? I'd always presumed it was a fairly broad term along the lines of "****", "****", "****", "****" and "numpty", but this thread seems to suggest there's more to it.

Jarquis

What exactly does this "bogan" mean? I'd always presumed it was a fairly broad term along the lines of "****", "****", "****", "****" and "numpty", but this thread seems to suggest there's more to it.
Good old Wikipedia informs me it's the Aus/NZ equivalent of "chav" or "pikey". Basically, someone from a lower class background.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, I'd always assumed it was broadly analogous to "chav" in the UK, although it seems to be wider in its application as you can be a bogan at any age, whereas chav is more aimed at the young underclass.

"Pikey" is actually a more specific insult tho; was originally a slur on gypsies or travellers.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Bogans in NZ generally wear black jeans and t-shirts dedicated to whiskey/bourbon/other hard liquor brands (or black singlets if they can't afford t-shirts), drive old cars such as a Ford Falcon and Holden Commodores and occasionally dabble in weed.

Basically Perm multiplied by about 400,000.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good old Wikipedia informs me it's the Aus/NZ equivalent of "chav" or "pikey". Basically, someone from a lower class background.
I see. Not that I'm a fan of the term CHAV (strictly speaking it is actually an acronym - council housed and violent) but if this thread was "has more money made the England cricketers CHAVs?" I'd think "haha, bad use of terminology there".

Surely "has more money made the Australian cricketers ****s?" would've been better?

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
How to be a good bogan - wikiHow

When I tell people from other countries, especially those who don't speak English as a first language, what a bogan is, andthey don't understand, I just tell them that they are trailer park trash, and then they seem to understand.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Lol, I think if anything the Australian team at the moment is far less bogan than it has been for much of the recent past...look at some of the sides from the late 80's and early 90's for example..

You had Warne, Merv Hughes, Boonie (Bogan idol), Dean Jones, Border, Mike Whitney, Bruce Reid...several borderline bogans like Slater, Taylor, Mark Waugh.

There are only really 2 to 4 genuine bogans in or around the side at the moment..
Bollinger and Siddle = obvious bogans
Haddin, Johnson = pretty similar
Stuart Clark, Mike Hussey, Clint McKay = University educated..not bogans
Shane Watson and Michael Clarke = wax their chests, wear designer clothing, appear in underwear ads and date famous women...about as un-bogan as you'll find.

Pothas

I guess what i am asking are bogans overrepresented in the current side.

If bogans say make up 20% of the population, they should have only one or two bogans in the side. But the current make up is more like 80-90%.

Why are is there more Haddins in the side than Stuey Clark's?
You sound like Stalin talking about Kulak's, will be shipping them of to the Gulag soon.