• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Morne Morkel

Xuhaib

International Coach
Why is this guy not the best fast bowler in the world? Seems to have every thing sure accuracy can improve but atleast its not Harmy level bad.

Fantastic talent.

Briony

International Debutant
Currently I don't think his figures do justice to some of his bowling over the past year or so. He was the one most Aussie batsmen said they feared most yet he didn't get nearly as many scalps as Steyn. He had Hughes out a few time but they didn't bother referring it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Why is this guy not the best fast bowler in the world? Seems to have every thing sure accuracy can improve but atleast its not Harmy level bad.

Fantastic talent.
A failure to take enough wickets to average <30 in any series he's played in, apart from against Bangers, would be the current answer to that question.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Inaccurate, and his natural length is a little bit short giving him a very low margin of error in line. Much like Harmison.

Awesome potential though. So much bounce.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Had a DECENT test againts ENG just concluded, comapred to crap he was bowling in the last year vs ENG & AUS. He is still stuck in potential mode, he will either eventually fullfill it or go down the Harmison road in the future. We shall see..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Inaccurate, and his natural length is a little bit short giving him a very low margin of error in line. Much like Harmison.

Awesome potential though. So much bounce.
Have always rated him very highly. Will do great things.
I like him but then I like Harmison. Tall, awkward, good gas and seldom pleasant to face.

All the bad things are true but I think a team with this type of bowler (when a top quality replacement isnt available) is generally stronger.

Uppercut

His attitude is in a different league to Harmison's though.

What excites me about Morkel is that if he can get his line under control, he'll be inconceivably good. The accurate ones who get huge bounce from a good length are often the best around, especially if the flat tracks keep coming.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't rate him at all at the moment and I'm not convinced he should even be in the team as it stands. He's one of those players who's been rated a lot based on what people think he should be able to do rather than what he's doing.

I recognise he has some great tools and the potential is definitely there so I can see why South Africa are picking him, but based on performance and actual current ability to take wickets, he doesn't do much for me. I'm not saying he'll never progress into a top bowler or anything like that but I'm not too interested in judging someone on what they'll do later.

Last edited:

Uppercut

He was horrendous against Australia. Bounce never caused an Aussie any problems I guess.

The problem is, as it was with Harmison, that when he's bowling badly he just goes for runs, and while he's a seriously awkward proposition when he gets it right he still doesn't take enough wickets when on song to justify the not-uncommon dire spell.

But when you throw the potential long-term benefits of having in the team at this stage, it probably adds up to enough to justify his place in the side as part of a five-man attack. He needs to improve, but I'd be happy to stick with him for a bit depending on the other available options.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem is, as it was with Harmison, that when he's bowling badly he just goes for runs
Harmison doesn't really go for runs when he's bowling badly tbf. Some of his worst spells have been pretty economical.

(BTW I'm ready, as ever, to be proved wrong by a sufficiently committed statsguru enthusiast).

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else think he looks like he's going to injure himself with that bowling action? Massive guy, awkward looking action and reminds me of injury-prone Oram, but a whole lot quicker.

Top_Cat

He was horrendous against Australia. Bounce never caused an Aussie any problems I guess.
Ambrose?

Difference between Morne and Ambi, though, was length. Ambi, being taller, could bowl fuller and when he did, well, his results speak for themselves. When he's in tight, Morne looks a very, very tough bowler to face.

Uppercut

Ambrose?

Difference between Morne and Ambi, though, was length. Ambi, being taller, could bowl fuller and when he did, well, his results speak for themselves. When he's in tight, Morne looks a very, very tough bowler to face.
Is there even any difference in their heights? Morne's absolutely huge too, about 6"6. If there's any difference between their sizes it's not enough to make that much difference, and Morne gets the same crazy amount of bounce.

Morne can certainly bowl as full as Ambrose did, he just doesn't. Bowls a fraction too short for mine- just a fraction- although IMO it's more important that he gets his line under control because with his height any variations in length will be impossible to pick.

Top_Cat

Is there even any difference in their heights? Morne's absolutely huge too, about 6"6. If there's any difference between their sizes it's not enough to make that much difference, and Morne gets the same crazy amount of bounce.
Haha, sorry, poorly worded. I meant Curtly is a taller bloke in the general sense, not taller than Morne. From memory, they're about the same height.

Morne can certainly bowl as full as Ambrose did, he just doesn't. Bowls a fraction too short for mine- just a fraction- although IMO it's more important that he gets his line under control because with his height any variations in length will be impossible to pick.
I guess I was under the impression he'd been bowling a better line these days. Anyway, full and just outside off hitting the seam = wickets for Morne, I reckon.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Didn't see much of the day's play but though the ball he got Strauss with was a jaffa at least.

Maybe he's a bit over-coached, lacks faith in a method and killer instinct in the way someone like Curtly had. There was no long lead-up for Curtly, was pretty much successful straight away in both FC and Test cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Very similar case to Harmison, not many batsmen "enjoy" facing him, yet he doesn't seem to get them out too often!

tooextracool

International Coach
He doesnt get people out very often because he doesnt bowl on the stumps very often. Average bowler at best. He has some great attributes, but like Harmison and to an extent Caddick he largely wastes them by bowling the wrong lines and lengths.

Last edited: