cricket betting betway blog banner small
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Hotspot

  1. #1
    International Vice-Captain NasserFan207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    4,062

    Hotspot

    So yeah. Has hotspot suddenly become unreliable? Did I miss a memo? Can someone explain what exactly is going on?

  2. #2
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,155
    I've never found hotspot any use at all tbh. Maybe my eyes aren't good enough. I feel much more comfortable picking things up by watching a super slow-mo close up replay.

  3. #3
    International Vice-Captain NasserFan207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    4,062
    Well its certainly more reliable than Billy Bowden.

    Nevertheless, I've always thought that technically it was more reliable than hawkeye. Its very simple, the ball touching the bat creates heat, which instantly becomes viewable. What's inconclusive?

  4. #4
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #BlamePhlegm
    Posts
    41,827
    Don't think hot spot is all that reliable in faint edges that don't show up. With TH and super slow mo being used as well. But if a bright white streak pops up on that bat obviously hot spot is useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.


  5. #5
    International Vice-Captain NasserFan207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    4,062
    Is there any actual evidence of that? Like has someone proved that there was a faint edge yet it didn't show up?

  6. #6
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #BlamePhlegm
    Posts
    41,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Opener View Post
    Is there any actual evidence of that? Like has someone proved that there was a faint edge yet it didn't show up?
    Believe an Aussie batsman last year noted that he hit one that hadn't showed up.

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Opener View Post
    Is there any actual evidence of that? Like has someone proved that there was a faint edge yet it didn't show up?
    Surely if it is being used then it should be proven that that a faint edge does show up. We have to know what it is capable of and what it isnt capable of before using it.

    Ive always thought it as an interesting toy. Suprised it is being used for offical reviews.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

  8. #8
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Opener View Post
    Well its certainly more reliable than Billy Bowden.

    Nevertheless, I've always thought that technically it was more reliable than hawkeye. Its very simple, the ball touching the bat creates heat, which instantly becomes viewable. What's inconclusive?
    With very faint edges (which are the only ones you really need hotspot for) only a very small, very faint "smudge" is created. Generally the bat already seems to be covered in smudges anyway, I guess where the ball has previously touched the bat or whatever? Also, the batsman often has to turn the bat around so that you can actually see the smudge properly. I understand what you mean about the technology being very exact, I just literally find it very difficult to see at times.

  9. #9
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    26,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Surely if it is being used then it should be proven that that a faint edge does show up. We have to know what it is capable of and what it isnt capable of before using it.

    Ive always thought it as an interesting toy. Suprised it is being used for offical reviews.
    Agreed completely. It's, from my understanding, an uncooled IR i.e. cheap, detects massive movement, massive amounts of heat, massive objects. Has a far lower resolution than the cooled types. I don't care what Channel 9 says, it's not a precision instrument.

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Agreed completely. It's, from my understanding, an uncooled IR i.e. cheap, detects massive movement, massive amounts of heat, massive objects. Has a far lower resolution than the cooled types. I don't care what Channel 9 says, it's not a precision instrument.
    Brought up a very interesting dynamic to the argument here sir. Cant deabte this TBF..

  11. #11
    International Vice-Captain NasserFan207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    4,062
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    With very faint edges (which are the only ones you really need hotspot for) only a very small, very faint "smudge" is created. Generally the bat already seems to be covered in smudges anyway, I guess where the ball has previously touched the bat or whatever? Also, the batsman often has to turn the bat around so that you can actually see the smudge properly. I understand what you mean about the technology being very exact, I just literally find it very difficult to see at times.
    Fair enough. Yet even in those cases, it still produces something. If we can't pick it up, surely these very faint smudges can still be picked up via an enlarged image or whatever? Which means, with a little more work there's no reason why hotspot couldn't be definite for edges.

  12. #12
    International Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    5,201
    Quote Originally Posted by irish_opener View Post
    is there any actual evidence of that? Like has someone proved that there was a faint edge yet it didn't show up?
    Δu=q+w

  13. #13
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,807
    The radio commentators were saying they were under the impression that it was 100% accurate
    You know it makes sense.

  14. #14
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    26,947
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    The radio commentators were saying they were under the impression that it was 100% accurate
    The question is one of resolution, not accuracy. This type of IR cam is relatively low-res.

  15. #15
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    2011 and 2015 champ - find me in the Platinum Lounge -
    Posts
    59,165
    My beef with hot spot is that it should only be used as an official toy if it's available everywhere, but that's another story for another day i guess

    Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can


    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ***Official** West Indies in England***
    By GIMH in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 5740
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 04:43 PM
  2. What do you think of Sky Sports " Hotspot "
    By Cameron-Moss in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 13-06-2007, 03:15 AM
  3. ***Official*** Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 7246
    Last Post: 22-02-2007, 06:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •