• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hotspot

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
So yeah. Has hotspot suddenly become unreliable? Did I miss a memo? Can someone explain what exactly is going on?

thierry henry

International Coach
I've never found hotspot any use at all tbh. Maybe my eyes aren't good enough. I feel much more comfortable picking things up by watching a super slow-mo close up replay.

NasserFan207

Well its certainly more reliable than Billy Bowden.

Nevertheless, I've always thought that technically it was more reliable than hawkeye. Its very simple, the ball touching the bat creates heat, which instantly becomes viewable. What's inconclusive?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Don't think hot spot is all that reliable in faint edges that don't show up. With TH and super slow mo being used as well. But if a bright white streak pops up on that bat obviously hot spot is useful.

NasserFan207

Is there any actual evidence of that? Like has someone proved that there was a faint edge yet it didn't show up?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Is there any actual evidence of that? Like has someone proved that there was a faint edge yet it didn't show up?
Surely if it is being used then it should be proven that that a faint edge does show up. We have to know what it is capable of and what it isnt capable of before using it.

Ive always thought it as an interesting toy. Suprised it is being used for offical reviews.

thierry henry

International Coach
Well its certainly more reliable than Billy Bowden.

Nevertheless, I've always thought that technically it was more reliable than hawkeye. Its very simple, the ball touching the bat creates heat, which instantly becomes viewable. What's inconclusive?
With very faint edges (which are the only ones you really need hotspot for) only a very small, very faint "smudge" is created. Generally the bat already seems to be covered in smudges anyway, I guess where the ball has previously touched the bat or whatever? Also, the batsman often has to turn the bat around so that you can actually see the smudge properly. I understand what you mean about the technology being very exact, I just literally find it very difficult to see at times.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely if it is being used then it should be proven that that a faint edge does show up. We have to know what it is capable of and what it isnt capable of before using it.

Ive always thought it as an interesting toy. Suprised it is being used for offical reviews.
Agreed completely. It's, from my understanding, an uncooled IR i.e. cheap, detects massive movement, massive amounts of heat, massive objects. Has a far lower resolution than the cooled types. I don't care what Channel 9 says, it's not a precision instrument.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed completely. It's, from my understanding, an uncooled IR i.e. cheap, detects massive movement, massive amounts of heat, massive objects. Has a far lower resolution than the cooled types. I don't care what Channel 9 says, it's not a precision instrument.
Brought up a very interesting dynamic to the argument here sir. Cant deabte this TBF..

NasserFan207

With very faint edges (which are the only ones you really need hotspot for) only a very small, very faint "smudge" is created. Generally the bat already seems to be covered in smudges anyway, I guess where the ball has previously touched the bat or whatever? Also, the batsman often has to turn the bat around so that you can actually see the smudge properly. I understand what you mean about the technology being very exact, I just literally find it very difficult to see at times.
Fair enough. Yet even in those cases, it still produces something. If we can't pick it up, surely these very faint smudges can still be picked up via an enlarged image or whatever? Which means, with a little more work there's no reason why hotspot couldn't be definite for edges.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My beef with hot spot is that it should only be used as an official toy if it's available everywhere, but that's another story for another day i guess :p