• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lou Vincent - one more shot

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I knew Vincent was going to make himself available for Auckland this summer but this article seems to say he may be interested in playing for NZ again. I'd thought he'd counted that out but he says is interested in getting 'back to the top level' (unless that means trying to qualify for England in two years :sleep:). Seeing as he's been playing fairly low level cricket in the interim he will have a way to go to get there.

Seemed to be someone who could play all the shots but struggled with the mental side of batting. If he's in a better state of mind now then it would be great to see him scoring lots of runs and possibly eventually playing again for NZ (though not as an opener).

Polo23

International Debutant
Really hope he is committed to getting back to the top. A fantastically talented batsman. Wouldn't mind seeing him slot in at 3.

Flem274*

123/5
Pretty undecided on Vincent. Could go from woeful to amazing and back and forth again at a moments notice.

He was a better test player than ODI player and test match batsmen are what we need now so its good to have him in the mix for tests as opposed to ODIs where we have a pretty good line up.

Before he was shafted by Bracewell for refusing to open he was having a pretty good run with the bat, would be nice to have him back at that point but with his illness I'm not sure if he'll be reliable. Its not fair to put a guy in the pressure cooker environment that is NZ batting if he's under attack from his own mind.

Howsie

International Captain
He ran of for the big bucks, **** em I say. Loved watching Vincent bat when I was younger but he took of for the ICL and pretty much told NZC to piss off, we should return the favour tbh.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Pretty undecided on Vincent. Could go from woeful to amazing and back and forth again at a moments notice.

He was a better test player than ODI player and test match batsmen are what we need now so its good to have him in the mix for tests as opposed to ODIs where we have a pretty good line up.

Before he was shafted by Bracewell for refusing to open he was having a pretty good run with the bat, would be nice to have him back at that point but with his illness I'm not sure if he'll be reliable. Its not fair to put a guy in the pressure cooker environment that is NZ batting if he's under attack from his own mind.
He was averaging 45+ for the season and a half he was back in the Test side, then got dumped after Zimbabwe for speaking his mind. Recalled once on the shambles tour of South Africa. Still has a better average opening the batting than How, McIntosh, Guptill, Cumming et al.

He ran of for the big bucks, **** em I say. Loved watching Vincent bat when I was younger but he took of for the ICL and pretty much told NZC to piss off, we should return the favour tbh.
He got ****ed around a lot by Bracewell, I don't blame him. It'd be like being treated like **** by your employer and being paid peanuts while doing so - would you turn down a chance at better pay and easier work? **** no.

Howsie

International Captain
Like Bond? :huh:
No. Bond signed with the ICL thinking he could still play for New Zealand. Vincent took of asking for his national contract to be torn up so he could sign with the ICL.

Bond's and Vincent's situation's were completly different.

Athlai

Not Terrible
No. Bond signed with the ICL thinking he could still play for New Zealand. Vincent took of asking for his national contract to be torn up so he could sign with the ICL.

Bond's and Vincent's situation's were completly different.
Na, Vincent had his own reasons. Like his depression.

Howsie

International Captain
Na, Vincent had his own reasons. Like his depression.
Pfft. So is depression was going to get better by going to play cricket in India for two months?

If his depression was that bad he would have asked for his contract to be torn up and he would of taken a break from all cricket. Craig McMillan said the same types of things when he asked for his contract to be torn up, he apparently had health and family issues but this didn't stop him from playing in the Hong Kong sixes and signing for the ICL right away did it?

Athlai

Not Terrible
pfft. So is depression was going to get better by going to play cricket in india for two months?

If his depression was that bad he would have asked for his contract to be torn up and he would of taken a break from all cricket. Craig mcmillan said the same types of things when he asked for his contract to be torn up, he apparently had health and family issues but this didn't stop him from playing in the hong kong sixes and signing for the icl right away did it?
8-)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Pfft. So is depression was going to get better by going to play cricket in India for two months?

If his depression was that bad he would have asked for his contract to be torn up and he would of taken a break from all cricket. Craig McMillan said the same types of things when he asked for his contract to be torn up, he apparently had health and family issues but this didn't stop him from playing in the Hong Kong sixes and signing for the ICL right away did it?
Obviously you have a degree in Psychology.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pretty sure if I was diagnosed with depression I wouldn't quit my job to move overseas to work tbh.
I don't see why not; I don't have a degree in psychology either but I'd think a change of scenery and a fresh start somewhere else could be a good thing.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't see why not; I don't have a degree in psychology either but I'd think a change fo scenery and a fresh start somewhere else could be a good thing.
Maximizing earning potential in a career with a relatively short playing life also seems like a good call.