• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lou Vincent - one more shot

Polo23

International Debutant
Probably have more faith in Vincent then McIntosh ATM.
Vincent averaging 34.15 with 3 hundreds (including a double ton vs SL) and 9 fifties, compared with McIntosh averaging 27.76 with 1 hundred and 2 fifties.

I'd DEFINITELY have more faith in Vincent.

Craig

World Traveller
It's not just Vincent's batting average, but McIntosh really is a walking wicket early on. He will ton up against Bangladesh and then get slaughted by Johnson and co when Ponting's men tour. Both are pretty good fielders (moreso in McIntosh's case, he is a fine slip catcher, and Vincent being gun around the point area).

bryce

International Regular
Vincent averaging 34.15 with 3 hundreds (including a double ton vs SL) and 9 fifties, compared with McIntosh averaging 27.76 with 1 hundred and 2 fifties.

I'd DEFINITELY have more faith in Vincent.
Opening the batting in NZ? I'd definately have more faith in McIntosh. Vincent just used to go too hard at the ball to be a quality opener in the longer form. Though in Australia i'd prefer Vincent on harder bouncier pitches.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hundred on debut against Australia as an opener was such a promising start. He certainly wasn't 'crap' but was just another batsman with talent who didn't make the most of it.

Having to open for the first half of his career obviously didn't help - interesting that none of our middle order batsmen who were made to open have gone on to have long term success in the top or middle order for NZ. Vincent, Sinclair, Fulton... James Marshall.

bryce

International Regular
interesting that none of our middle order batsmen who were made to open have gone on to have long term success in the top or middle order for NZ. Vincent, Sinclair, Fulton... James Marshall.
hmmm and how many of them were made to open under bracewell?
and ya wonder why people hated him as a coach so much, lol

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
Opening the batting in NZ? I'd definately have more faith in McIntosh. Vincent just used to go too hard at the ball to be a quality opener in the longer form. Though in Australia i'd prefer Vincent on harder bouncier pitches.
And McIntosh's technique is too poor to be a quality opener in the longer form. I'd prefer Vincent as an opener in any conditions over McIntosh, and I wouldn't even want Vincent in the team as an opener...that is how poorly I rate McIntosh.

Craig

World Traveller
What do people think of BJ Watling as an opener? I missed his second innings knock on the basis I was in the middle of nowhere when it happened.

Flem274*

123/5
What do people think of BJ Watling as an opener? I missed his second innings knock on the basis I was in the middle of nowhere when it happened.
Looks fine. Poked around outside off stump in his first innings a lot, remains to be seen whether that was nerves or not. Covered his offstump nicely, moved his feet well and can push the ball into gaps.

That second innings probably really helped in that he could afford to take a few risks so instead of poking the bat out he played more of a one day innings and went through with positive defense (occasionally) and offense ( a lot). His ramp shots were hilarious, loved them. Can't remember the last NZ opener bar Vincent that played cheeky shots like that in a test match. He'll probably do the smart thing and put those away on the first morning of a test, but he has plenty of scoring areas and seems to learn quickly.

Watching him bat it was hard to believe he only averages 30 in FC cricket. Thats why this poking around outside offstump has me a bit nervous. I hope thats not what has been limiting him.

Its almost a pity there are no top order vacancies in the ODI side, he looks like he could be a successful ODI batsman.

Polo23

International Debutant
The impressive thing about Watling was his footwork. I haven't seen a NZ opener with footwork that competent since....since....Richardson probably.