• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the ICC drop the two bouncer law?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Andy Roberts had the right idea. In the West Indies tour match against the University in 1976 he let the then young unknown Peter Roebuck have a bouncer and hit the target leaving him with a black eye and bloody nose. He retired hurt and then when he resumed his innings Roberts let him have another bouncer first ball that knocked his cap off.:laugh:

It's only funny in retrospect because Roebuck turned out to be such a tit.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If I were a bowler, and I break McGrath's ribs, or his arm, I've put my team in a significantly better position to win when it's our turn to bat.

That's not unfair. McGrath has an easy way to remedy that situation next time if he doesn't want to give the other side that chance. Don't come out and declare your innings.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If I were a bowler, and I break McGrath's ribs, or his arm, I've put my team in a significantly better position to win when it's our turn to bat.
The likelihood of achieving those injuries would be fairly slim and the attempt might just leave him a tad miffed when it's his to bowl - and revenge could be sweet. McGrath's a bad example because he's not a quick bowler but the principle remains the same for the genuine quicks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Serious injuries are exceptionally rare - if they weren't the risks would quite properly be addressed by the lawmakers - on the other hand if you remove all risk the game becomes sterile
Hmm, don't agree there TBH. I watch cricket because I enjoy seeing bowlers try to get batsmen out, not for anything remotely related to the risk of injury. Always hate seeing injuries, at any given juncture.
as for setting out to cause injury I'm not convinced, whatever Jeff Thomson said, or others have said about Sylvester Clarke/Charlie Griffith/Colin Croft etc that they or anybody else has actually been cricket's equivalent of Roy Keane
That'd depend, I suppose, on how far they'd have to go to become Keane's equivalent. If one actually believes that there have never been times when Thomson, Clarke etc. - as well as many others - have run-up with the sole intention of trying to hurt the batsman then I think they're kidding themselves. I will always find such intention reprehensible myself.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

That's not unfair. McGrath has an easy way to remedy that situation next time if he doesn't want to give the other side that chance. Don't come out and declare your innings.
If that solution were a more accepted way of doing things then yeah, that'd be fine, but it isn't. The way cricket has always been "done" is that rank-rabbit tailenders are expected to bat and bowlers are expected to not attempt to inflict injury on them. If teams declared to protect their rabbits that'd be fine - and there has been an occasional example of sides doing thus. However, such a situation would to me represent borderline anarchy.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The likelihood of achieving those injuries would be fairly slim and the attempt might just leave him a tad miffed when it's his to bowl - and revenge could be sweet.
And that's fine too. That's the risk you take. And maybe that's why you don't do it to a quick bowler. But that's the point - it'll be handled by the teams themselves. There is no point in making it illegal.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm, don't agree there TBH. I watch cricket because I enjoy seeing bowlers try to get batsmen out, not for anything remotely related to the risk of injury. Always hate seeing injuries, at any given juncture.
Not disputing that but its the old making omelettes without cracking eggs comment - play the game with a tennis ball and .....................................

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Did anyone have a problem with Australia's continuous short bowling to Asif, Rauf and particularly Ajmal?

All 3 were bunnies (especially Ajmal who was taking his eye off the ball a lot) but it was a legitimate way to get wickets. And they were facing constant bouncers, like 3-4 balls at least chest high per over.

Legitimate stuff to me.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The likelihood of achieving those injuries would be fairly slim and the attempt might just leave him a tad miffed when it's his to bowl - and revenge could be sweet. McGrath's a bad example because he's not a quick bowler but the principle remains the same for the genuine quicks.
That's true. But for every genuine quick it's a bad idea to rile there are several Daren Powells who are guaranteed to offer you several sets of five wides over the keeper's head for every bouncer you bowl at them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not disputing that but its the old making omelettes without cracking eggs comment - play the game with a tennis ball and .....................................
And a good length becomes head-high bounce.

"Tennis-ball bounce" is something of an under-exaggeration. The amount of extra bounce you get with a tennis-ball compared to a cricket-ball is extraordinary.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did anyone have a problem with Australia's continuous short bowling to Asif, Rauf and particularly Ajmal?

All 3 were bunnies (especially Ajmal who was taking his eye off the ball a lot) but it was a legitimate way to get wickets. And they were facing constant bouncers, like 3-4 balls at least chest high per over.

Legitimate stuff to me.
Yeah, if a guy is backing away like Rauf was, that's not the cue for the bowler to back off or the umpire to step in.