• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best left handed batsman of all time

Best left handed batsman

• Total voters

JBMAC

State Captain
Two obvious names missing from the list ie.....

1. Neil Harvey
2. Allan Border
BOTH of them far greater than those listed. If I had to make a choice I would have to say Harvey

thierry henry

International Coach

1. Neil Harvey
2. Allan Border
BOTH of them far greater than those listed.
Exaggeration much?

Border was FAR greater than Sobers??

Anyway....Sanga>Gilly would be my comment on the initial list provided.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Graeme Swann, he just bats right handed because it'd be unfair on the opposition otherwise.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

1. Neil Harvey
2. Allan Border
BOTH of them far greater than those listed. If I had to make a choice I would have to say Harvey
Hmmm. Some pretty stiff competition you're writing off there JB.

Matt79

Global Moderator

1. Neil Harvey
2. Allan Border
Wouldn't say Harvey or Border are far superior to any of those listed, although they
certainly deserve listed with them as equals.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shout out to Arthur Morris, Hayden, Anwar, Clive Lloyd & David Gower..
Gower, Anwar and Hayden even more odd-ones-out than Gilchrist is.

Some of the relatively few I'd say deserve consideration as second-best to Sobers (who to my mind is a fair bit ahead of any other LHB in history): Clem Hill, Arthur Morris, Neil Harvey, Graeme Pollock, Clive Lloyd, Allan Border, Brian Lara, Andy Flower. I'm very, very confident indeed Kumar Sangakkara will join that club come his retirement but if if all goes well he's still got a fair amount of his career ahead of him, including what should be at least a couple of on-peak years. Will assess him only in a minimum of 5 years' time.

In the next class down there'd be the likes of Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Bill Lawry, Bob Cowper, Maurice Leyland, Anwar, Gary Kirsten, Graham Thorpe, Gilchrist etc.

What's odd is how many of those with freak massive Test averages from small numbers of games are LHBs: Naveed Nawaz (doesn't really count of course as his sole game was against Bangladesh), Rodney Redmond, Deepak Shodhan, Eddie Paynter, "Bam Bam" Weekes, Cotar Ramaswami, Vinod Kambli, Martin Donnelly, Brian Irvine, Philip Mead, Raman Subba Row, etc. To date, Phil Jaques, Jean-Paul Duminy (who BTW could quite conceivably to me end-up in the elite company alongside Sangakkara but that's a very long way away yet), Jesse Ryder, Phil Hughes and :laugh: Albie Morkel also reside in said company.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Gower, Anwar and Hayden even more odd-ones-out than Gilchrist is.
Well i wasn't really suggesting those cats are genuine contenders for the best LHB of All-time far from it - Sobers hands down. I was as i said just giving a "shout out" :laugh:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh:

Shout outs too to Phil Mead, Frank Woolley and Warren Bardsley. None deserve to be winning this, obviously, but certainly belong in the discussion with some of those already mentioned.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
As least no one has mentioned Justin Langer. Since we're throwing in random quality yet unworthy left handers Alvin Kallicharran is worth a mention.