• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.6

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
As our final entry for this working week, we take a look at the man who has been hero-worshipped by more cricket followers than any other...

Sachin Tendulkar | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com
Nominated by 95% of voters - highest ranking no.3

“We have a young batsman in Bombay called Sachin Tendulkar who is sent from upstairs to play the game. He is only 15, a right–handed bat, 5 foot 5 inches tall, but I tell you, he’s going to be a great player.” With these words, spoken in 1988, Ravi Shastri announced Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar to the world. A year later, the teenage prodigy was playing Test cricket for India and for two decades and more than 30,000 international runs since that moment he has rarely been out of the public eye. A batsman of extraordinary ability, class and temperament, with exquisite technique and a cover-drive (among many other shots) to die for, Tendulkar has captured the imagination of cricket fans worldwide like few others in the history of the game while firmly establishing himself as one of the finest batsmen of all time.

Sachin's list of achievements over his two decades in international cricket would take up far more space than these brief descriptions allow. The world record holder for the most runs in both Tests and one-day internationals, he has also scored more centuries in both forms of the game than anyone else. All four records will take some eclipsing, but it is not stretching the bounds of credulity to say that his combined total of 30,270 international runs and 88 international centuries (both very much still counting) may never be beaten. Second on both the Test and ODI all time lists for number of appearances, it is fair to say that he is likely to hold both marks within the next year. Arguably, Tendulkar's genius was first shown to the wider world with his brilliant 148 at Perth as a 19-year-old, and for the rest of the 1990s Sachin made a habit of scoring heavily and breathtakingly against Australia, the strongest team of that era. After being on the receiving end of yet another Tendular ton in 1998, Steve Waugh commented of Sachin that "take Bradman away and he must be next up" whilst Bradman himself confided that Tendulkar of all players reminded him of him. Not that Australia were his only victims - Tendulkar has torn apart every attack in the world at some point, most on many occasions. Despite a relatively ordinary record against South Africa, the great Allan Donald was once moved to comment after a Tendulkar innings that such was the magnificence of the batting he witnessed that he just wanted to applaud every shot. Both the most fanatically celebrated and intensely critiqued player of his generation, and - for sheer volume of devotees - all time, Tendulkar has had to carry the hopes of a nation of one billion cricket fanatics on his shoulders from a very young age. That he has managed to do so with simultaneously such astounding success and such unaffected grace is a testament to him as a cricketer and a man. One in a billion indeed.

So that's it - only the top five remain, and I will begin to delve into that final elite over the weekend.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well worthy of a top 10 spot imo. Great player.

Thanks again for this Sean, and yes I did check to make sure there was no _ in the username!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Im a little torn on this one (and in a similar vein with Warne) though I have no issue with where he has been placed.

Can a player that isnt head and shoulders above his peers (Lara, Waugh, Ponting, Kallis etc) be included in the top 10 of alltime? On one hand I think not

On the other hand the sheer weight of runs in both Test and OD cricket, the longevity and the ability to excite the masses counts for a lot. It has been an amazing career

It is one of those situations where I didnt have him this high but I can easily understand why others would and understand why he deserves this high position.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolutely magnificent player. Surprised that Warne is ahead of him, though I understand why :p (Yes, I do grasp the concept of a democratic voting process). Each to their own obviously.
Still, back to Sachin, absolutely no doubt that he deserves to be up there with the very best of all time.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Magnificent player. I didn’t have him in my top 5, but like so many have stated before, after the top 3 players any player can have a legitimate case to be ranked at any given position.

My guess at the remaining order:

Bradman
Sobers
Grace
Warne
Hobbs

Maximus0723

State Regular
Great players(like Sachin and almost all the great ones) are disciplined and have great work ethics. I remember Sehwag saying that the guy is never late to practice and never makes excuses. The result....well, 20+ years in cricket.

After all the injuries, I can see how Sachin's battling style has changed. He has greatly adapted to that. Though he still racks up runs and is one of the best at adapting to situation in game.

Also, his fielding is underrated. If you watched, over the last two ODI's the old man was one of our best fielder even with all the youngsters in the team. At age of 37, diving for balls, running hard near the boundaries, just makes you appreciate the great legend.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Only six?!? Bull. Should have been top 5. How many international hundreds does Mr Hobbs have again?

This ranking is totally ****ed up now. I'm off to nick a DVD boxset or two off Pratters' collection and watch those instead :ph34r:

Pothas

Only six?!? Bull. Should have been top 5. How many international hundreds does Mr Hobbs have again?

This ranking is totally ****ed up now. I'm off to nick a DVD boxset or two off Pratters' collection and watch those instead :ph34r:
Made a couple at first class level I think.

No problem with Sachin in the to 6 (had him at 10 myself), as someone who made his debut a year after I was born he has always been part of cricket for me, love him and will be awful when he finally retires. Equally though have no problem with Warne in the top 5, no other cricketer quite has had the impact that he has on our generation.

HeathDavisSpeed

Bemused how Grace can be in the top 5 when at least 4 people didn't vote for him at all. I guess those that voted for him had him really high up.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
100 after the age of 40 is just silly though.
Yeah, thats true. Fair enough. I guess it depends on which aspect one gives more weightage to. But then I'm baffled as to why Rhodes isn't in the top ten if FC cricket is given respect enough to place Hobbs and Grace in the top ten. 4200 wickets at 16 and 58 centuries at 30 is insane!

Pothas

Had him at 11 to be fair, Rhodes is just a bit ridiculous though, he is not far of being as ficticious as Bradman.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Had him at 11 to be fair, Rhodes is just a bit ridiculous though, he is not far of being as ficticious as Bradman.
Had them both in my team in one of the early all time drafts on the forum :cool:

Just realised that Keith Miller has completely missed out too. Did he make the top 50?