• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.6

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
i can still show you hundreds of thousands of indians who would love to see kapil dev in person and many many more who would love to have those 30 seconds with him....
Yeah I meant that tongue in check - should have put quotes around "make do with talking to him" or put a :ph34r: or something. My bad.

archie mac

International Coach
Quentin Tarantino summed it up when he said; it does not matter where they rate my movies now, but how they rate them in 20 years.

Do we think Sachin will still be No.6 and Warne No.5 (a guess) in 20 years?:unsure:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Quentin Tarantino summed it up when he said; it does not matter where they rate my movies now, but how they rate them in 20 years.

Do we think Sachin will still be No.6 and Warne No.5 (a guess) in 20 years?:unsure:
Think it will be Sachin who slides rather than Warne tbh in public opinion. There will be other batting sensations who the kids will refuse to believe that Sachin was superior to, but we won't see a spinner to rival Warne or Murali within that 20 year timeframe you're talking about.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think it will be Sachin who slides rather than Warne tbh in public opinion. There will be other batting sensations who the kids will refuse to believe that Sachin was superior to, but we won't see a spinner to rival Warne or Murali within that 20 year timeframe you're talking about.
Yeah, agree with this. I love watching Tendulkar bat and he's had an amazing career but I'm surprised at him being rated so highly; I don't think it'll last.

bagapath

International Captain
I think he has a lot of respect for the history of cinema, so I thought him genuine:)
oh i think he is. he is going for posterity all the time.

even i fantasize my films will be reassessed after i die, when it is too late for anyone to kick my ass for making mediocre films which succeeded at the box office. the reality as of now is a reverse of what i want it to be :(

bagapath

International Captain
It is incredibly baffling how this forum keeps constantly disregarding ODI performances.
in this thread you can include ODI stats I think. At least that is why I assume Sachin is rated above Imran and Richards. I based my voting only on test stats except in the case of WG

archie mac

International Coach
It is incredibly baffling how this forum keeps constantly disregarding ODI performances.
I for one never consider them for a moment, not cricket as far as I am concerned:@ And should always be seperated

A bowler on top; sorry mate that is ten you have to stop now:-O

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think I had Sachin around 18th IIRC. Great player, but a bit overrated in the sense of being top 10.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Nah, he's still not done with his career yet. Anyway, my generation will still be around on the internets in full force to smack some sense into the noobs who'll claim that close to 100 international centuries is a stroll in the park. Reckon Warne would have a quiet chuckle if he found that a forum had him ranked higher than Sachin. Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see Murali gain at the expense of Warne in that timeframe. If there's anything that'll cause a slide in Sachin's assessment 20 years down the road, it'll be people who haven't been around now taking his average at face value. And that works against Warne (cf Murali) more than it works against Sachin.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Sachin gets 100 centuries and scores more runs than humanly possible to get to, I have a feeling his name will always be mentioned, a lot more than Kallis, Dravid, Sangakkara, Yousuf etc.

I reckon Sachin's legacy, rightly or wrongly, will probably be larger than Lara's because of that extra impact he's had on the sport.

bagapath

International Captain
I think both warne and sachin will be rated in the top 10 for a long long time. their reputations may go down a bit, like lillee's, but not that drastically. but when push comes to shove they will be rated right at the top even after half a century, like hammond or sobers.

and i feel the sachin legend will keep growing after his retirement. and for once i agree with ikki, i think he is a bit overrated. he should not be ranked above viv.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, Tendulkar will always have the biggest legacy among batsmen of the last 15 years. It is unfair on Lara that he had to live in Richards' shadows during his career when people compared him to Richards and will also live in Tendulkar's shadows long term in the sense when people discuss the two.

In my mind, Tendulkar and Lara are equals, Lara probably greater.

Matt79

Global Moderator
If Sachin gets 100 centuries and scores more runs than humanly possible to get to, I have a feeling his name will always be mentioned, a lot more than Kallis, Dravid, Sangakkara, Yousuf etc.

I reckon Sachin's legacy, rightly or wrongly, will probably be larger than Lara's because of that extra impact he's had on the sport.
Not of itself necessarily. Gavaskar and Border held the runs record when they retired, and yet their repute has probably declined slightly since they finished and new similar players have emerged. And I think some people will precisely start to look just at his average - we see that all the time now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nah, he's still not done with his career yet. Anyway, my generation will still be around on the internets in full force to smack some sense into the noobs who'll claim that close to 100 international centuries is a stroll in the park. Reckon Warne would have a quiet chuckle if he found that a forum had him ranked higher than Sachin. Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see Murali gain at the expense of Warne in that timeframe. If there's anything that'll cause a slide in Sachin's assessment 20 years down the road, it'll be people who haven't been around now taking his average at face value. And that works against Warne (cf Murali) more than it works against Sachin.
I would a little, tbh. I suspect, rightly or wrongly, people will still be discussing the invisible asterisk beside his records for years & decades to come in much the same way as Bodyline still stirs emotions amongst cricket fans (especially those of an English or Australian persuasion) whose parents and even grandparents weren't born when the series took place.

Think Sachin maybe very slightly overplaced at #6. As magnificent a player as he was, he didn't dominate his own era in quite the same way as (say) Grace, Ranji, Hobbs or Bradman did theirs. Had him at #18 ftr and of the chaps I had ahead of him (in no particular order: Grace, Hammond, Imran, Marshall, Warne, Miller, Hadlee, Lara, Weekes, Barnes, Hobbs, Bradman, Gilchrist, Ambrose, McGrath, Kallis & Sobers) only really Lara gave me pause for thought in placing them above him. Just my HO tho, obv.

bagapath

International Captain
today being ponting's birthday cricinfo has a small write up on him and it starts with describing him as "one of the most talented batsmen in the world". I think that is a very unfair assessment of a man with 38 test hundreds.

sachin on the other hand is always referred to as "the greatest" with whatever qualifier one wants to add. I think this trend will continue forever. Players like ricky, rahul and jacques are very likely to be remembered as "talented batsmen" from the tendulkar-lara-warne-murali era.