Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How good is Ponting's pull shot?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    - IND 08. Conquered his past demonds againts spin. If he was in decline he should have failed here. Signs of decline = 0
    What, really? Mind listing his scores in the series after that first Test?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    What, really? Mind listing his scores in the series after that first Test?
    I dont need to, we both know his scores after the first test. What did you need to score another 3 hundreds to be convinced he could play spin?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    No, but doing it on a pitch that offered spin and not being a bunny for the next three Tests after one innings where he was let off early might help. If you read my comments at the time, I clearly remember saying he has cleared a big hurdle by scoring that century and all he needs is to score one in a spinning wicket to prove he can do it. That first match was a draw and a runway wicket.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 19-12-2009 at 03:46 PM.

No, but doing it on a pitch that offered spin and not being a bunny for the next three Tests after one innings where he was let off early might help.
    - Firstly all 4 test match pitches played the same. All where roads (although Nagpur began to turn alot on the last day).

- Ponting did not look like a bunny in the next 3 test . He just good some very good balls especially from Sharma in the second test & a big turning off-break from Harbhajan in the 4th test. His batting againts the spin was very solid throughout the series.

Ponting could have easily got a second hundred in the 3rd test.

-Thirdly which let off are you speaking of?. That was a chanceless hundred..

No, but doing it on a pitch that offered spin and not being a bunny for the next three Tests after one innings where he was let off early might help. If you read my comments at the time, I clearly remember saying he has cleared a big hurdle by scoring that century and all he needs is to score one in a spinning wicket to prove he can do it. That first match was a draw and a runway wicket.
    . Oh the double standard, i cannot believe this debate still exists.

After IND 2001 the talk in cricket world was that cannot play spin in India, he needs to score a hundred in India to be a complete batsman like other greats. He scores a hundred dominating his nemisis Harbhajan & now the new argument is that "he needs to score a hundred on a turning pitch" *sighs*....This debate will never die

The wickets in 98, 2001 that Ponting batted on (i will not consider Mumbai 04 the only test he played then since that was horrible pitch & all the batsmen on both sides struggled) where no way different from that of 2008 either. All (excpet Mumbai 01 which turns square from day 1 generally) where your typical IND roads which turned alot later in the match.

International 12th Man
    Aussie, that run down to me just proves that Ponting is in decline. You correctly point out that he has batted very decently over the last two years in just about every series and done everything that was asked of him. But the Ponting of five years ago would do more than just what was asked of him. Go back and count how many times you wrote how he was unlucky to not get a hundred, or that he threw away a hundred when he was batting well, or that it was a green pitch/spinning wicket so not scoring runs is explainable. Ponting at his very best didn't need these excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by pskov View Post
    Aussie, that run down to me just proves that Ponting is in decline. You correctly point out that he has batted very decently over the last two years in just about every series and done everything that was asked of him. But the Ponting of five years ago would do more than just what was asked of him. Go back and count how many times you wrote how he was unlucky to not get a hundred, or that he threw away a hundred when he was batting well, or that it was a green pitch/spinning wicket so not scoring runs is explainable. Ponting at his very best didn't need these excuses.
    Decline is VERY strong word my friend. As i said before a great batsman in decline should show:

- Being exposed technically (i.e getting out one way all the time)
    - Footwork slowing down
    - Execution of trademark shots being reduced (eg Ponting not playing his pull shot well)

If he was then one can say without a shadow of doubt the Ponting was passed his peak or whatever. A dimishing great batsman showing those faults was Viv Richards in the last 2-3 years (in the late 80s & early 90s) of his career - not Ponting currently at all.

Those are the keys areas. The most you can say about the last two years is that he hasn't got some big runs due to very marginal factor. Ponting's batting againts Steyn in super form @ Melbourne last summer was a good as anything he has been doing between 2001 to 2006/07.

Ponting could easily in coming series for AUS have a series where he smokes two or three hundreds in a series IMHO.

EDIT: I also can point out innings in the last 5 years (before as people have claimed he has been in decline since Ashes 06/07) where Ponting was batting beautifully & failed to score a hundred. 3 come to mind right now:

- Capetown 2006 (out playing a false shot)

Quote Originally Posted by cricinfo
    Kallis to Ponting, OUT, OUT: holds up on the pitch and is taken at short cover as he drove to finally get a break thru

RT Ponting c Hall b Kallis 74 (178m 112b 8x4 1x6) SR: 66.07
    Out playing false shot

- Super test 2005. Was batting beautifully in that match, looked good for a hundred in both innings.

- Birmingham 2005. Now i know you remember how superbly he was batting in that first innings. Before he played a lazy paddle sweep of Giles to get out.

The only time since 2001 when Ponting looked in any sort of decline was in 2004 - coincidentally his first year as skipper. His batting that year was far less productive than anything that has happened since Ashes 06/07. People oughta chill....Punter is quite fine!!
    Last edited by aussie; 20-12-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Reckon he's not quite as whip-quick as he used to be (shock!) and he knows it so it's affected his decision-making, hence why he seems to be getting hit more often and going out to the pull.

Happens to everyone. Even AB, as good a puller as anyone for many years, put it in the cupboard towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Probably one of the best pullers i have seen in recent history.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Interesting points raised, makes one wonder if he might put it away at some stage. I doubt that's really Ponting's style personally, but it would be interesting to see him score a century one day without playing one.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    94 on Metacritic.
    I went and saw it today, very average, no plot twists, too same from start to finish. 6/10 #pontingspullshot

... .... .- -.- . / - .... . / -.. . .- - .... / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -... --- -. . ...

In other news, Watto is better ner ner nerrr

Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    The guy has got out to a bouncer/shortish delivery 11 times in the last 3 years of which 9 times playing a pull shot, and twice fending.
    How you pull up stats for dismissals by shot
    memory or some database?
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    It would be possible to look-up but it'd probably require some amount of memory-bank inspiration to set such a look-up off.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It would be possible to look-up but it'd probably require some amount of memory-bank inspiration to set such a look-up off.
    Given the way cricinfo have their scorecards now, it will probably be reasonably possible now to do so.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information