Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How good is Ponting's pull shot?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    since it is his bread butter and jam shot i think it will come back. kapil lost his out swinger for a while. but rediscovered it to a great effect down under in 91-92. ricky will also start pulling well once again. and honestly, i am not answering the question posed in the thread straight. the question is how good is his pull shot. and that i dont know. havent seen him bat long enough recently to assess that. the last i saw him bat was when australia toured india. and we know he doesnt bat too long here to form any impression

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    He isn't as good as he used to be, Bunny. But he's still pretty good. I saw him play some gorgeous ones against England in ODIs recently.
    The aesthetics of his pull shot are definitely awesome. And I guess, the shot will serve him well in ODIs where risk-taking is the name of the game.
    But he definitely needs to pay more attention to it in tests.

best in the current era
    Supporting players: Dinesh Chandimal, Roshen Silva, Kusal Janith, Nuwan Pradeep, Kasun Rajitha, Lahiru Kumara, Akila Dhananjaya, Dhananjaya de Silva

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Like most of Ponting's shots, his pull isn't quite as good as it used to be.

In his 1995/96-2006/07 heyday, it was as good as a pull shot has pretty much ever been for almost any batsman.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    The aesthetics of his pull shot are definitely awesome. And I guess, the shot will serve him well in ODIs where risk-taking is the name of the game.
    But he definitely needs to pay more attention to it in tests.
    Pretty much agree with those saying it's not what it used to be, but it's still producitve for him.

It's a favourite shot of his, but it's also a risky shot in general, subject to the vagaries of bounce, lateral movement etc (then again,so are a lot of others I suppose).
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Like most of Ponting's shots, his pull isn't quite as good as it used to be.

In his 1995/96-2006/07 heyday, it was as good as a pull shot has pretty much ever been for almost any batsman.
    Cant see whats changed TBH. Roach hit him on thee arm in the first innings @ 150 kmph & Ponting was still able to pull him virtually one handed for 6 an over later.

Odd thread this..

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Probably one of the best pullers i have seen in recent history.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    94 on Metacritic.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Ponting's pull shot is a thing of beauty, unless he happens to play it over the course of a 140 at Jo'berg.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Cant see whats changed TBH. Roach hit him on thee arm in the first innings @ 150 kmph & Ponting was still able to pull him virtually one handed for 6 an over later.
    No-one's really saying he's a no-hoper and shouldn't even be playing it these days. The point is merely that Ponting hasn't for the last 2 years been quite as good as he used to be, on any shot, so consequently it will fail to come-off a little more regularly than used to be the case.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    In his prime, about as good as you can have really. Not as good right now, as others have mentioned, but obviously still a very good puller.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Reckon he started to fall away with the effectiveness of his pull shot in the ODI tri-series against India and SL in 2007/08.

Went out to it twice in the finals.

Nonetheless its still a fantastic shot.

Bunny has given us an interesting argument though.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No-one's really saying he's a no-hoper and shouldn't even be playing it these days. The point is merely that Ponting hasn't for the last 2 years been quite as good as he used to be, on any shot, so consequently it will fail to come-off a little more regularly than used to be the case.
    I have seen no sign of this..

International Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    I have seen no sign of this..
    Well you've clearly been watching the wrong cricketer. Think it's irrefutable that Ponting's started to decline in the last 2 years. Not saying he's no longer good enough, as I think he is. But he's averaging 41 in the last 2 years, and not averaged above 50 against any team he's played. An average of 41 is still decent, but it's got nothing on his career average of 55 and is a clear sign of decline.

Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    Well you've clearly been watching the wrong cricketer. Think it's irrefutable that Ponting's started to decline in the last 2 years. Not saying he's no longer good enough, as I think he is. But he's averaging 41 in the last 2 years, and not averaged above 50 against any team he's played. An average of 41 is still decent, but it's got nothing on his career average of 55 and is a clear sign of decline.
    Haa this is second time in a week i've heard someone on this site come up with this weird reasoning.

Ponting is not in any decline. Unless Ponting has not been showing anyone of these 3 factors:

- Being exposed technically (i.e getting out one way all the time)
    - Footwork slowing down
    - Execution of trademark shots being reduced (eg Ponting not playing his pull shot well)
    If he was then one can say without a shadow of doubt the Ponting was passed his peak or whatever. A dimishing great batsman showing those faults was Viv Richards in the last 2-3 years (in the late 80s & early 90s) of his career - not Ponting currently at all.

Let me go through Ponting performances since series by series since his "heyday" ended in 2006/07 Ashes as some have claimed. This is just a dull stats argument

- SRI 07/08. Was hardly needed to bat in this series since AUS batsmen just totally domianted the SRI bowlers. Signs of decline = 0

- IND 07/08. Sharma troubled him with some good deliveries in this series in the first couple of test - that can happen even Pedro Collins had Tendulkar skating once - but that was it. He scored a very good hundred in the last test looking his usual great self. Signs of decline - 0

- WI 08. Starts the series with superb hundred in frist test. The WI bowlers NEVER troubled him in this series. Signs of decline = 0

- IND 08. Conquered his past demonds againts spin. If he was in decline he should have failed here. Signs of decline = 0

- NZ 08. NZ bowled well on a green gabba first test pitch, Ponting & everyone got out cheaply. His second test 79 in Adelaide he basically threw away a hundred when he was batting so beautifully:

Quote Originally Posted by cricinfo
    O'Brien to Ponting, OUT, the bowling change works, O'Brien bangs it in short of a length outside off but the ball doesn't rise as much as Ponting would have expected it to, he shapes to play a booming pull past midwicket but the ball travels quickly off the bottom of the bat straight to Fulton at short midwicket, Ponting mumbles something to O'Brien while walking back

RT Ponting c Fulton b O'Brien 79 (151m 124b 13x4 0x6) SR: 63.70
    Signs of decline = 0

SA 08/09 in AUS. Stood up to SA bowlers very well. His battting in melbourne test vs Steyn when he took 10 wickets was only the stuff great batsman can do. Very unlucky not have scored 2 hundreds in that test. Signs of decline = 0

SA 08/09 in SA. No issue here as well. Could have easily scored two hundreds in that series here as well. Signs of decline = 0

Ashes 09. Beautiful hundred in the first test, batted quite solidly for the rest of that series. His stupid run out for 66 in the Oval test probably swung the game ENGs way since he looked set for a hundred while he & Hussey where batting. Signs of decline = 0

WI 09. Like Sharma 07/08. Young Roach a new bowler has bowled well to hit..."new bowler syndrome" nothing more. Ponting has still looked in super touch. When Roach hit in the recent AUS first innings on his hand Ponting responsed by hit 4,6,4 with pull shots basically with one hand before he retired hurt not able to bare the pain. Signs of decline = 0

Plus dont lets ever go inot his recent ODI batting in ENG, The Champions trophy & in India. Since i dont know how anyone could have seen Ponting bat then i question whether he in decline or losing his touch..

Ponting is quite fine ATM..when he really begins to decline count on to be the first man to start crying out..Bullet!!
    Last edited by aussie; 19-12-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information