• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Neil Harvey........

hourn

U19 Cricketer
anyone else think he has an absolute huge chip on his shoulder???

He obviousbly has a major disliking for Steve Waugh, and feels extremely insecure about the 1948 team in terms of their place in Australia's cricket history after the current teams fantastic achievements in recent years.

During the upcoming summer, no doubt, as over the past two summers, we will be hearing more from Harvey (who I regard as a very fine cricketer) and how he think's this team is overrated, wouldn't hold a candle to the 1948 team and so on and so forth.

watching England play South Africa on Fox Sports two nights ago, there was an Inside Cricket special on the 1948 Invincbled and there was an interview with him - I'm not sure from how long ago but I think it was during last summer where he was claiming there were many flaws in the current team, and if he were the selector there would "be quite a few changes, starting with a new captain".

I don't know about you, but when a team has hardly been beaten in the last 4-5 years, it would be wiser to let things go on the same way as they have been..........or has a new selection policy been adopted where players get dropped for perfomring :confused:

Anyone else agree that cricket would be far better served, not to mention he'd be doing himself a lot of favours too, if he didn't constantly take every single opportunity he can too diminish the current teams achievements. His own record (I think he feels very threatened by Steve Waugh, Adam Gilchrist and Allan Border about threatening his position as the best middle order batsmen behind Braddles and Chappell Australia has produced), and the record of the 1948 team will speak for themselves, and his words aren't helping them in any way shape or form.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Harvey's not necessarily wrong about the 1948 team - they were pretty hot (no, I cannot remember them either - but I do remember Harvey). Maybe he thinks that they are just being forgotten.

I hardly think it likely that he would be interested in pressing his own case against the likes of Waugh and Border (sorry, I cannot take the Gilchrist comparison seriously - just yet anyway, despite what the averages say) but I could be wrong.

Perhaps he's just got caught up in the Hookes / Thomson 'criticise everything just for the hell of it' roadshow.

Mind you, Harvey was a selector in the 1970's - and that was a cracking side too.

Craig

World Traveller
He made redicoulous statements last year that both Waughs should be axed for some cricketer called Simon Katich.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Wait, wait. Did you just say, ahem, SIMON KATICH! Of all the things to say.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I agree, can't they see that he would walk into ANY other Test side, regardless of who's currently in that side. :D

Mr. P

No, i certainly don't rate him. I was in outrage when he made the Ashes a couple of years back.

legslip

Cricket Spectator
Neil Harvey does comes across as being negative but he is only expressing his opinion.

I think he is right in regards to the Waugh twins. This year would have been the perfect time to blood Ponting as the test skipper. The Windies tour would have been the ideal start followed by the Bangledesh and Zimbabwe series.

Before it's too late I would making Ponting the new test captain for the Zimbabwe series. It would also be an ideal time to give someone like Martin Love time to cement a position in the Test side.

Mr. P

Waughs playing well, and he says he wants to stay through till the India series. Nobody will stop him.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Mr. Ponting said:
Waughs playing well, and he says he wants to stay through till the India series. Nobody will stop him.
I think if Waugh's playing good enough then who he should be in the team.

The best XI should always be picked for the team, regardless of the age. Whether they are 18 or 38, if they're good enough they're the right age.

legslip

Cricket Spectator
hourn said:
I think if Waugh's playing good enough then who he should be in the team.

The best XI should always be picked for the team, regardless of the age. Whether they are 18 or 38, if they're good enough they're the right age.
Waugh wants to remain skipper until the Indian tour. He wants to beat the Indians in India before retiring. I think that is his ultimate goal.

Mr. P

the selectors can, but i said nobody will. I seriously doubt, in his current form, waugh will go.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
legslip said:
Waugh wants to remain skipper until the Indian tour. He wants to beat the Indians in India before retiring. I think that is his ultimate goal.
if he continues to bat as well as he has been over the last six months, then why shouldn't he be able to do that.....

Bazza

International 12th Man
I'm not convinced he's batting that well.

I'm sure everyone will agree that two hundreds against Bangladesh are meaningless, therefore Waugh has in his last six series:

Averaged 75 from 4 innings against WI
Averaged 38 from 8 innings against ENG
Averaged 44 from 4 innings against PAK
Averaged 26 from 9 innings against SA (home & away)
Averaged 19 from 4 innings against NZ

All I see there is one good series against WI following on from three poor series and two series where he did ok while Australia smashed the opposition left, right and centre.

I think the selectors are showing a bit of sentiment - if this was any other cricketer he would have been out probably after the SA series or definitely during or after the Ashes. Because it's Steve Waugh they're going to let him carry on until India. I really hope it blows up in their face and India beat them again! :p

Eclipse

International Debutant
Bazza said:
I'm not convinced he's batting that well.

I'm sure everyone will agree that two hundreds against Bangladesh are meaningless, therefore Waugh has in his last six series:

Averaged 75 from 4 innings against WI
Averaged 38 from 8 innings against ENG
Averaged 44 from 4 innings against PAK
Averaged 26 from 9 innings against SA (home & away)
Averaged 19 from 4 innings against NZ

All I see there is one good series against WI following on from three poor series and two series where he did ok while Australia smashed the opposition left, right and centre.

I think the selectors are showing a bit of sentiment - if this was any other cricketer he would have been out probably after the SA series or definitely during or after the Ashes. Because it's Steve Waugh they're going to let him carry on until India. I really hope it blows up in their face and India beat them again! :p
Well you have given enough time there for most players to go into and out of form about 5 times there.

That NZ series ago was like 2 years ago.

Besides It would really help you if you actualy watched him bat he is timing the ball well and looking comftable at the crease.

You must also take into account the fact that after his 100 in the Sydney Test Vs England he went back and scored buacket loads of runs for NSW probably about 400 Pura Cup runs at over 100 and about 200 ING cup runs also avraging over 100.

Statistics never tell you the full story and you should be wary of using them as an only means of backing up your argument.