Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The CW50 - No.8

The CW50 - No.8

Apologies for the delay again, it's been a really busy week, but here we go again with your (real) choice of the number 8 cricketer of all time...

Sir Viv Richards | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com
    Nominated by 82% of voters - highest ranking no.3

Brutal, dominant, arrogant, masterful - Viv Richards was all of these things and so much more. In an era of so many truly great batsmen - the likes of Gavaskar, Chappell, Border and Miandad were in their pomp during Viv's career - it says something about the man they called the Master Blaster that he is almost without exception acknowledged as the best. His pure numbers, outstanding as they are, don't necessarily outstrip his contemporaries, but the sheer havoc he wreaked over bowling attacks worldwide for nearly two decades speaks volumes for his extraordinary power to utterly demoralise an entire opposition team off his own bat and turn a cricket match on its head in a matter of hours. When Viv was on song he was quite simply unstoppable - both with the bat and in the field. One of the most outstanding all-round fieldsmen of all time, he is surely one of a very small group of players who have turned the course of a major match (the 1975 World Cup Final against Australia) purely through his fielding alone. When he was selected by Wisden as one of the Five Cricketers of the 20th Century, there were few dissenting voices.

Richards announced himself to the world in 1976 with his then-record year of 1,710 runs at an average of 90, including two magnificent double centuries in England, which invited comparisons with Bradman. From the end of that tour he was by common consent the world's best batsman, and was rarely if ever considered otherwise for the next decade or more. In his first season of World Series Cricket, Richards made 862 runs in six "Tests" while over four series against Australia, England and Pakistan between 1979-81 he averaged 77. As the 1980s wore on he rarely scored in such consistently heavy quantities, but rather seemed to save himself for producing his best on the big occasion or when his team needed it the most, which only added to his mystique of greatness. In addition to his Test exploits, Viv can also claim to be arguably the greatest of all one-day batsman - and was indeed rated so by Wisden. Possibly his finest ever innings actually came in a one-day international against England in 1984 when he scored 189* out of a team total of 272. Richard's extraordinary eye gave him the ability to hammer straight balls through mid wicket and hook even the fastest of bouncers imperiously over the boundary - Somerset team mate Vic Marks warmly recalls willing opposition bowlers to bounce Richards just so he could watch the majesty of his hooking. A showman and entertainer to the end, not to mention one of the very greatest batsmen in the history of the game, Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards takes his worthy place in our all time top 10.

Number 7 on our list will follow later today, as I try to make up for some lost time over the past couple of days...
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

About right, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    About right, imo.
    should be top 5 tbh.

Cricketer Of The Year
    That now leaves Grace, Bradman, Sobers, Tendulkar, Warne, Hobbs, Imran Khan.
    I had Richards 4th but I wouldn't argue about the order once you get past Bradman, Sobers and Grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    should be top 5 tbh.
    yeah. should be top 5. can accept bradman, sobers, hobbs and grace above viv. but imran, sachin and warne themselves would agree richards was a marginally, but definitely, superior cricketer
    Last edited by bagapath; 17-12-2009 at 04:13 AM.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Hit_Wicket's Avatar
    Though he might be a few places higher, tbh. Fair enough though.

Had him at 5, slightly disappointing.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    I had Sir Viv at 8th too

I reckon next will be Sachin or Warne.

should be top 5 tbh.
    Was 7th, 7th, 13th and missing on the 4 lists submitted on The Sean's profile. I personally marked him down below Tendulkar on the basis that he didn't have to face the best attack of his time. Bradman, Sobers, Tendulkar, Warne, Imran, Grace (who I've underestimated by the looks of things) and Hobbs isn't a bad pack to trail.

I reckon next will be Sachin or Warne.
    imran will be ranked below both of them. he should not be. but i think he will be no 7.
    Last edited by bagapath; 17-12-2009 at 04:17 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Johnners's Avatar
    Also had him at 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    At three in my list.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    I had Sir Viv at number seven, and his place on the CW list inside the top ten but further back than his ESPN place at number three is reasonable in my view.

Hack, tbh. Wasn't even in my 25.

Nah, dav's big Uncle Isaac was the glaring omission from my list along with DKL. Problem with tossing it off in about ten mins is the occasional oversight.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Rory Burns wafted and whooshed, hit a few, edged a few more and batted at times with all the graceful serenity of a man trying to force his way head-first through a privet hedge." - Barney Ronay on the Surrey opener's maiden test ton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information