• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.8

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
A Richards memory that I have firmly in my mind is the last ball of his 189 in that one day match. Where the bowler bowled him a yorker on leg stump. And Richards went on to the back foot - lifted up his front leg and dog legged the ball over the boundary for six. Mind Boggling.

Edit - I tried to find this on Youtube - and found a clip of him hitting the last ball of that inning to long on. So maybe this shot happened in a different inning.
You're thinking of his 138 in the 1979 World Cup Final. :)

Days of Grace

International Captain
:laugh:

My keyboard's in Braille, tbh.

Incidentally, as a Richards point of discussion, why does he seem to get a free pass on the dodgy ending of his career, where other players seem to get marked down for theirs? I know the "how" is probably as important as the "how many" with Sir Viv, but it does seem slightly strange the consensus on him is so near universal. Statistically he has to bend the knee to Javed Miandad, an almost exact contemporary, and did he even make the CW top 50?
I think that for English and Australian viewers Richards is etched in the mind a lot more than Miandad, since Viv played, and performed brilliantly, against English and Australian sides much more often.

Many of Miandad's great innings for Pakistan were probably not avaibable for live viewing back then.