• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.8

Matt79

Global Moderator
Not saying that they're not similar, and followers to a degree of his example, but that doesn't change Viv's uniqueness, anymore than the bowlers who were inspired by Larwood or Lillee make those players not unique.

JBMAC

State Captain
Not saying that they're not similar, and followers to a degree of his example, but that doesn't change Viv's uniqueness, anymore than the bowlers who were inspired by Larwood or Lillee make those players not unique.
Very D and M :cool:

bagapath

International Captain
it is a tribute to the champ that his style of batting is now considered genuine test match batting. before viv you have to go back 80 years, to the trumper - hill era, to find genuine batsmen with such high SR. back then it was also a bit of village green fun. richards was probably the first batter to make aggro batting a match winning weapon in fully professional test match cricket. sanath, viru, kp and gilly have all learnt to follow their instincts by watching the master at work. am sure dickhead selectors have also allowed these players to be themselves only because they knew viv batted like that and made a difference to his team.

didnt mean to say he was not unique. coz he was. very.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
it is a tribute to the champ that his style of batting is now considered genuine test match batting. before viv you have to go back 80 years, to the trumper - hill era, to find genuine batsmen with such high SR. back then it was also a bit of village green fun. richards was probably the first batter to makebatting a match aggro winning weapon in fully professional test match cricket. sanath, viru, kp and gilly have all learnt to follow their instincts by watching the master at work. am sure dickhead selectors have also allowed these players to be themselves only because they knew viv batted like that and made a difference to his team.
Would substantially disagree with statement highlighted my young friend..While the Test matches prior to the Packer era were not palyed as "professionals" they, those players , considered them selves to be and to all intent and purpose they were.The cricket Boards around the world msde milllions out of those players by forcing them to retain their amateur status. So if it was all professional then Bradmans 334 shows true aggro winning formula to name just one inning from "back then":)

JBMAC

State Captain
On thinkin about what we both stated further I feel you should have clarified an era from which Richards dominated as from WW2 and then go back.Even that is "loose

G.I.Joe

International Coach
it is a tribute to the champ that his style of batting is now considered genuine test match batting. before viv you have to go back 80 years, to the trumper - hill era, to find genuine batsmen with such high SR. back then it was also a bit of village green fun. richards was probably the first batter to make aggro batting a match winning weapon in fully professional test match cricket. sanath, viru, kp and gilly have all learnt to follow their instincts by watching the master at work. am sure dickhead selectors have also allowed these players to be themselves only because they knew viv batted like that and made a difference to his team.

didnt mean to say he was not unique. coz he was. very.
Going off on a pedantic tangent here, but that certainly isn't true of Sehwag. He's on record saying that he's never seen Viv bat. Not once. This revelation was made as recent as the SL test series. That's probably the thing about genius. Its more inherent than inspired. The only man he claims to be influenced by is Sachin. Sehwag certainly started off as a 90's Sachin clone before developing his own distinctive style.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Little disappointed King Viv didn’t crack the top 5. I had him ranked #5 personally. In terms of cricketing heroes/idols, Viv is tied with Imran as my favorite player of all-time.

bagapath

International Captain
Going off on a pedantic tangent here, but that certainly isn't true of Sehwag. He's on record saying that he's never seen Viv bat. Not once. This revelation was made as recent as the SL test series. That's probably the thing about genius. Its more inherent than inspired. The only man he claims to be influenced by is Sachin. Sehwag certainly started off as a 90's Sachin clone before developing his own distinctive style.
i remembered sehwag saying that... that is why i added the note about the selectors.... selectors need to see a particular strategy work before they can back it full on... in this case the record of viv richards assures them it is good to have an aggressive batter in your team

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I had him at 9.

Richard Hadlee wrote of him.

He is a pretty macho guy so is susceptible to hooking a bouncer early in his inning.

Hadlee thought this was a possible weakness. I think I saw him get Richards out once this way in a test if my memory serves me correctly - right after Richards had scored 28 of the fastest runs I had ever seen in my life.

Richards is one of my favourites as well.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
yeah. should be top 5. can accept bradman, sobers, hobbs and grace above viv. but imran, sachin and warne themselves would agree richards was a marginally, but definitely, superior cricketer :(
This.

(though I actually had him 7 behind Imran, which kind of ruins my agreement. And Marshall, because he's gboat.)

18 % missing him out probably the key here...

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
A Richards memory that I have firmly in my mind is the last ball of his 189 in that one day match. Where the bowler bowled him a yorker on leg stump. And Richards went on to the back foot - lifted up his front leg and dog legged the ball over the boundary for six. Mind Boggling.

Edit - I tried to find this on Youtube - and found a clip of him hitting the last ball of that inning to long on. So maybe this shot happened in a different inning.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
or loss of sight altogether, so they say
:laugh:

My keyboard's in Braille, tbh.

Incidentally, as a Richards point of discussion, why does he seem to get a free pass on the dodgy ending of his career, where other players seem to get marked down for theirs? I know the "how" is probably as important as the "how many" with Sir Viv, but it does seem slightly strange the consensus on him is so near universal. Statistically he has to bend the knee to Javed Miandad, an almost exact contemporary, and did he even make the CW top 50?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Because of how good his peak was I guess.

I'm not gonna bring my Botham card out, I promise :whistling

yeah yeah, Richards never declined anywhere near as much as Botham, but but but