• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Bowling Attack - Tests

Best (potential) Current Bowling Attack? 3 VOTES!!!

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
They all seem pretty even for me, so I want CW to rate them.

(Not counting injuries so include your Steyns, Edwards, Taylors and Bonds)

Xuhaib

International Coach
A fully fit Australia I say.

SA, Pak and England are all pretty close. NZL in the first test at Dunedin was as good as any attack can be especially considering O'Brien brilliant form of late however with him retiring and Bond's injury woes that would peg them back a bit. Indian seamers are underrated in swinging conditions I feel though the full impact of Kumble's retirement is still to be seen.

Roach,Taylor,Edwards sounds tasty too

Athlai

Not Terrible
Without O'Brien I think NZ will fall away from the top tier even with Bond in the attack. West Indies with all their fast men will be one to watch in years to come.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I think its all very interesting atm.

Aamre,Parnell,Morkel,Roach,Ishant,Southee all look good prospect but they are all umproven currently.Next couple of years will be interesting.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Aus and SAF are good. But put them on a turner, and that attack is docile. Pakistan potentially has the best all ound bowling attack. With Aamer, Asif, Gul, Rana, Ajmal, Kaneria and Afridi to pick from. That attack can prosper on any surface. So my vote is on Pakistan.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh I did not see there are three votes. I would put SAF and AUS as well. But if everything goes well and bowlers manage to be injury free, SL will be up there soon with Thushara, Malinga, Prasad, Fernando, Kulasekara, Welagedara, Mathews, Herath and Mendis to pick from.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Aus and SAF are good. But put them on a turner, and that attack is docile. Pakistan potentially has the best all ound bowling attack. With Aamer, Asif, Gul, Rana, Ajmal, Kaneria and Afridi to pick from. That attack can prosper on any surface. So my vote is on Pakistan.
Afridi has retired from Tests.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
An attack of Johnson, Bollinger, McKay and Hauritz shouldn't be in the top 3 in the world.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tough. Not too many attacks I truly rate as top quality at the moment, really. Pakistan don't have a fifth bowler and Aamer hasn't actually done anything yet, while South Africa are having problems finding their second and third seamers. I'm actually really tempted to be controversial and pick England in my three.. I certainly would have done so before Flintoff retired but it does look a little bit thin without him.

In short, I have absolutely no idea as it stands so I'll hold off on my vote.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
An attack of Johnson, Bollinger, McKay and Hauritz shouldn't be in the top 3 in the world.
Yeah but that wasn't the question - see what Athlai said in brackets. The Australian attack that should be considered for this exercise is, I guess:

Hilfenhaus
Siddle/Bollinger
Johnson
Watson
Hauritz
North

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah but that wasn't the question - see what Athlai said in brackets. The Australian attack that should be considered for this exercise is, I guess:

Hilfenhaus
Siddle/Bollinger
Johnson
Watson
Hauritz
North
Oh yeah true, that does look a little better. I'm going to sit on the fence, I don't know which 3 look the best, must say it's impossible to leave out Pakistan though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nah ATM, Steyn they are their only good bowler, all the rest are unproven. As aforementioned definately AUS at fully strenght.
Kallis and Ntini are proven performers too.

Which Australians would you consider proven?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Tough. Not too many attacks I truly rate as top quality at the moment, really. Pakistan don't have a fifth bowler and Aamer hasn't actually done anything yet, while South Africa are having problems finding their second and third seamers. I'm actually really tempted to be controversial and pick England in my three.. I certainly would have done so before Flintoff retired but it does look a little bit thin without him.

In short, I have absolutely no idea as it stands so I'll hold off on my vote.
Aamir is going through what many young bowlers seems to have a problem these days.Bowl weell but can't get wickets. I am quite certian he's on for a long haul provided he does not get injured.

pasag

RTDAS
Between India and SA. India win on spin and are probably more consistent quality wise but SA have the Steyn factor and Kallis fifth bowling. Would go SA, though if Steyn gets injured they come crashing right back down to earth.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Aamir is going through what many young bowlers seems to have a problem these days.Bowl weell but can't get wickets. I am quite certian he's on for a long haul provided he does not get injured.
That's all well and good and I tend to agree but I find it incredibly hard to rate him as anything more than a good prospect until he actually starts taking regular wickets. Same goes for Roach. I've seen too many young bowlers look like they're going to take a stack of wickets and not do so to fall into that.

subshakerz

International Coach
Based on their track record, I would say South Africa (Steyn, Ntini, Morkel, Harris, Kallis). The fact is that the attack is more than the sum of its parts. Kallis is a viable fifth bowling option that both Australia and Pakistan lack. Steyn is the best fast bowler in the world and Ntini is the most experienced. You can doubt the form of the bowlers individually but as a whole they manage to support Steyn well and consistently take 20 wickets, even in India and Pakistan.

Next is either Australia or Pakistan. Hilfy, Johnson and Siddle are all wickettakers but only sporadically and Hauritz isnt any sort of major threat. They are also unproven on the subcontinent. In form, the pacers are destructive but need to establish some sort of consistency before making any big claims.

Pakistan with Aamer, Asif and Gul have potentially the best pace attack and Kaneria is a better wickettaker than both Harris and Haurtiz. Asif is right up there with Steyn but Aamer is still raw and will need some time to develop. Gul is a fine thrid seamer but hasnt quite hit his stride in test cricket. What keeps them back is that they only played one series together so far so are still unproven.