• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Bowling Attack - Tests

Best (potential) Current Bowling Attack? 3 VOTES!!!

• Total voters

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Gillespie is long gone. Arnel would be the next cab off the rank.

I do think we should be around the back though because the two best seamers are gone and we have no idea how their replacements will go, plus Southee and Tuffey have only just returned to test cricket.
Word. Whats up with Southee's partner from the under-19 WC a couple years ago, Trent Boult & the chances of him playing againts AUS in the upcoming series?

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Word. Whats up with Southee's partner from the under-19 WC a couple years ago, Trent Boult & the chances of him playing againts AUS in the upcoming series?
Trent Boult is either injured or recovering from it. Its a shame because he's dominated when he's played. he is also hampered by having to force his way into the best bowling line up in the country and he's been injury prone recently.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
ENG/IND/SRI. Three way tie here. All three have decent pace attacks with a good leader (Khan, Anderson, Malinga) capable of being lethal in helpul condtions but average on flat decks. Neither have much depth in pace-bowling stocks.

mate
subcontinental bowlers bowl mostly on flat decks on which they outbowl foreign seamers ex-aussie seamers[remember last series} lee was hammered so was johnson and good tracks they will outbowl your seamers so its a very unfair comment

Indian attack with everybody in form ishant,sreesanth,zaheer,harbhajan is as good if not better than most attack in most conditions.

Last edited:

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I think its between Australia and Pakistan. Pakistan's test bowling attack is the best one around and for all conditions due to its versatility. Obviously Pakistan struggles due to fielding and extremely ordinary batting that loves to gift its wickets away.

Australia have the fast bowling trio similar to Pakistans quality but are severely lacking in the spin department. Hauritz is an ordinary spinner and most of his wickets are gifted to him. Johnson has been in terrific form recently but lacks consistency. I would say Bollinger and Siddle are consistent and Watson heavily reliant on reverse swing which he will not be able to muster in all conditions.

Pakistan have a very streaky pacemen in Umar Gul but both Asif and Aamer seem the most consistent pacemen in the world today. If you bring in Afridi, Kaneria and Ajmal (OK test bowler), you have a very balanced attack.

I dont think the current standard ot test bowling is that good anyway, in anycase, Pakistan clearly seems to have the best attack and considering their potential reserves in Rana Naved, Tanvir and Shoaib Akhtar. I wouldnt be able to pick any other attack over them

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
I think its between Australia and Pakistan. Pakistan's test bowling attack is the best one around and for all conditions due to its versatility. Obviously Pakistan struggles due to fielding and extremely ordinary batting that loves to gift its wickets away.

Australia have the fast bowling trio similar to Pakistans quality but are severely lacking in the spin department. Hauritz is an ordinary spinner and most of his wickets are gifted to him. Johnson has been in terrific form recently but lacks consistency. I would say Bollinger and Siddle are consistent and Watson heavily reliant on reverse swing which he will not be able to muster in all conditions.

Pakistan have a very streaky pacemen in Umar Gul but both Asif and Aamer seem the most consistent pacemen in the world today. If you bring in Afridi, Kaneria and Ajmal (OK test bowler), you have a very balanced attack.

I dont think the current standard ot test bowling is that good anyway, in anycase, Pakistan clearly seems to have the best attack and considering their potential reserves in Rana Naved, Tanvir and Shoaib Akhtar. I wouldnt be able to pick any other attack over them
australians struggled in india,england to get 20 wickets, there fast bowling is not that good
against top teams.pakistan has a good attack but asif is mediocore on good decks.so aamer,gul will have to step up on good decks.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
australians struggled in india,england to get 20 wickets, there fast bowling is not that good
against top teams.pakistan has a good attack but asif is mediocore on good decks.so aamer,gul will have to step up on good decks.
I do agree Aussie attack is lacking but the same can be said of the South African attack at times. The part about Asif is a misconception, Asif is NOT mediocre on good decks, this dude manages to extract movement from any deck he plays on, yes he is extremely unplayable on decks that offer some assistance. I would say hes still the better option on good decks unless there is someone on your side who can bowl 150k plus reverse swing. I remember Asif running through Sri Lanka with big cutters when the tracks there were totally dead and dull and other bowlers failed to extract any movement.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The part about Asif is a misconception, Asif is NOT mediocre on good decks, this dude manages to extract movement from any deck he plays on, yes he is extremely unplayable on decks that offer some assistance. I would say hes still the better option on good decks
Yep, agreed. It's just a typical stereotype against medium-fast bowling. It has everything to do with what people perceive his bowling style to be and nothing to do with what he's actually done whenever he's encountered such surfaces. People tried to say it about McGrath for his whole career as well and they just got proven wrong time and time again. I'm not saying Asif is in McGrath's league or anything but while he's less effective on flat decks than he is on decks with assistance there for him, that's to be expected of any bowler and he's still more effective on such wickets than the vast, vast majority of Test bowlers anyway.

He's just a seriously good bowler. Obviously he doesn't look quite as threatening on roads as he does on greentops (which bowler does??) but even when the pitch is really offering nothing he still manages to get a bit of movement somehow, and he bowls consistently good areas. On a flat pitch against a good batting lineup I'd still expect Asif to end up with figures resembling 25-75-3 for a day's bowling, which is an incredibly useful set, particularly when 400 is playing 400.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Yep, agreed. It's just a typical stereotype against medium-fast bowling. It has everything to do with what people perceive his bowling style to be and nothing to do with what he's shown so far. People tried to say it about McGrath for his whole career as well and they just got proven wrong time and time again. I'm not saying Asif is in McGrath's league or anything but while he's less effective on flat decks than he is on decks with assistance there for him, that's to be expected of any bowler and he's still more effective on such wickets than the vast, vast majority of Test bowlers anyway.

He's just a seriously good bowler. Obviously he doesn't look quite as threatening on roads as he does on greentops (which bowler does??) but even when the pitch is really offering nothing he still manages to get a bit of movement somehow, and he bowls consistently good areas. On a flat pitch against a good batting lineup I'd still expect Asif to end up with figures resembling 20-80-3, which is an incredibly useful set, particularly when 400 is playing 400.
He did have a great series in Srilanka where i think he took 17 or 18 wickets against a good Srilankan line up including Sanga, Mahela, Jayasuria......don't know what kind of pitches those were, but Asif hit the stumps ball after ball in that series...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ENG/IND/SRI. Three way tie here. All three have decent pace attacks with a good leader (Khan, Anderson, Malinga) capable of being lethal in helpul condtions but average on flat decks. Neither have much depth in pace-bowling stocks.

mate
subcontinental bowlers bowl mostly on flat decks on which they outbowl foreign seamers ex-aussie seamers[remember last series} lee was hammered so was johnson and good tracks they will outbowl your seamers so its a very unfair comment

Indian attack with everybody in form ishant,sreesanth,zaheer,harbhajan is as good if not better than most attack in most conditions.
The only reason the IND attack outbowled AUS in 2008 was because Lee was injured, Clark was injured, Johnson had not peaked yet & Siddle was the new kid on the block.

Its way off the mark to equate IND pace attack with AUS, or to say its "as good if not better" than most attacks in most conditions.

India have ONE quality seamer in Zaheer Khan. Thats it.

Howsie

International Captain
Trent Boult is either injured or recovering from it. Its a shame because he's dominated when he's played. he is also hampered by having to force his way into the best bowling line up in the country and he's been injury prone recently.
He's definitely recovering from his back injury at the moment, I'm not aware of him picking up any new injuries since November. I think with the way he's going at the moment it's pretty safe to assume he wont play for New Zealand for quite a wee while. Boult's struggling to regain the pace he had from last year and from what Bradburn's come out and said he still isn't 100 percent.