Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 110

Thread: Just how good is Ntini?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Borgund, Norway
    Posts
    276

    Just how good is Ntini?

    This is not really a debate and is more intended to be a discussion on Ntini before what may be his 100th and last test match. To measure a players worth, we often go visit the stats to see what's on paper, but with Ntini there are a few exceptions to be made. For one Ntini comes from a non cricketing background and an upbringing of little, to no coaching from a young and tender age. On can argue that he also had the disadvantage of not bowling against talented youngsters in his youth due to the area and level of cricket in the area that he comes from. On paper he is a great but not a legend, take note I say on paper. When looking at his stats, one would see a fabulous number of wickets there but there is a huge factor that is overlooked. His 388 test wickets are inaccurate in that as a fast bowler, under normal curcimstances, a bowler would pick up around a 6th of thier wickets by LBW(these are my estimates). When looking at Ntini, almost all of his wickets are from decisions not involving LBW sue to the angle that he runs up in and delivers the ball from. Thus we could probably say that to look at Ntini on paper would also be inaccurate and he may not be looked at in a hundred years as a modern great due to a record that should read more like 440 wickets. This sould put him up there with the very greats of both the modern game and the yesterdays grates likr Ambrose and Walsh.

    Big up to Ntini. Go do some damage in what may be your last test and go and ensure that your name is foreveretched as a great
    Last edited by jboss; 15-12-2009 at 08:35 AM.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,445
    Ntini ; Sean can confirm

  3. #3
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,771
    Quote Originally Posted by jboss View Post
    His 388 test wickets are inaccurate in that as a fast bowler, under normal curcimstances, a bowler would pick up around a 6th of thier wickets by LBW(these are my estimates). When looking at Ntini, almost all of his wickets are from decisions not involving LBW sue to the angle that he runs up in and delivers the ball from. Thus we could probably say that to look at Ntini on paper would also be inaccurate and he may not be looked at in a hundred years as a modern great due to a record that should read more like 440 wickets. This sould put him up there with the very greats of both the modern game and the yesterdays grates likr Ambrose and Walsh.
    God, this is the second time I've seen this sort of logic in the last two days. I was horribly surprised that one person had come up with something like this; now there's two. A flaw in someone's ability to take wickets is not a mitigating circumstance when analysing how effective they were at taking wickets.

    That Ntini struggled to take lbws made him a less effective bowler than if he had been more adept in taking them, but only in the same way as Daren Powell's struggle to take wickets in general made him a shockingly bad Test bowler - if Powell had McGrath-like accuracy and planning he'd have taken 440 Test wickets too, but he didn't. Or to stretch that example further, if I could take wickets as regularly as the great bowlers, I'd take 440 Test wickets as well... but I can't.

    Another example would be Stuart Clark's case as one of the great batsmen. Clark has all the shots in the book bar the forward defence, and given how valuable the forward defence is to batsmen, his record on paper is vastly deflated by this deficiency and hence it's only fair to declare him 'not out' every time he was dismissed by a ball he could have defended with ease should he had been been much, much better at it. Hence we should respect Stuey as the 65-average Test batsmen he really was.

    Not being able to take lbws does not make you a better bowler, in other words. Ntini was one of the best quicks of his era and was, IMO at least, actually the best fast bowler in the world at one point, so I think he should be respected as that. However, his ability to take lbws regularly does not make him better than he if he had been able to take them and achieved exactly the same results.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 15-12-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    17,491
    I've noticed that Ntini has got a few LBW's recently domestically against left-handers. Which either suggests he is bringing the ball back into the batsman, not just going across on the angle or the batsman are playing all around straight deliveries which should be put away for four. Probably the latter.

    Anyhow, congrats on the 100th. Hopefully he proves me wrong and surpasses Polly. As Prince said, there was a period post 2005 where Ntini was the best fast bowler going. Had a dream eighteen months where he carried the South African attack.


  5. #5
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Not being able to take lbws does not make you a better bowler
    *worse?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

    The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

  6. #6
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    *worse?
    Nah, jboss was seriously suggesting that Ntini's inability to take lbws makes him a better bowler than his record suggests. Don't believe me? Read the first post.

    Quote Originally Posted by jboss
    His 388 test wickets are inaccurate in that as a fast bowler, under normal curcimstances, a bowler would pick up around a 6th of thier wickets by LBW. When looking at Ntini, almost all of his wickets are from decisions not involving LBW sue to the angle that he runs up in and delivers the ball from. Thus we could probably say that to look at Ntini on paper would also be inaccurate and he may not be looked at in a hundred years as a modern great due to a record that should read more like 440 wickets. This sould put him up there with the very greats of both the modern game and the yesterdays grates likr Ambrose and Walsh.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 15-12-2009 at 09:08 AM.

  7. #7
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Nah, jboss was seriously suggesting that Ntini's inability to take lbws makes him a better bowler than his record suggests. Don't believe me? Read the first post.
    Ah, I just skimmed the first post, and read yours in entirety. I'm such a bastard.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Ah, I just skimmed the first post, and read yours in entirety. I'm such a bastard.
    Haha, I feel special now.

  9. #9
    State Vice-Captain popepouri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    1,141
    Ntini wouldn't be as good if Polly was not building pressure on the other end. After Polly went, his performances declined drastically.

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Was having the same debate on how good Ntini was in a thread with Richard just a few days ago. IMO this is how his career went/has gone so far:


    From Lord's 2003 - Georgetown 2005 , this is when he first qualified as test quality. Before then he anything special in test cricket, a bit like what Morkel is right now.

    Then from Trinidad 2005 - Nagpur 2008 He peaked & at point here was arguably the best fast bowler in the buisness, especially when SA where playing AUS around 05/06.

    Since the tour of ENG 2008 he has been decling gradually & by the end of AUS series in march this year it was clear SA where just carrying him along.

  11. #11
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,119
    My opinion, he was very good. Took lots of wickets and didn't concede many runs. Better than any seamer England have produced in the last 20 years, as far as I'm concerned.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Gough, Caddick at their peaks where defiantely better than Ntini IMO. Ntini vs Flintoff at their peaks is probably even though.

  13. #13
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    47,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    My opinion, he was very good. Took lots of wickets and didn't concede many runs. Better than any seamer England have produced in the last 20 years, as far as I'm concerned.
    Think that's a bit of a stretch, tbh. Gough & Fraser were his superiors and, although injury intervened in both cases Headley and Jones (S) also had more about then when fit.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

  14. #14
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,119
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Think that's a bit of a stretch, tbh. Gough & Fraser were his superiors and, although injury intervened in both cases Headley and Jones (S) also had more about then when fit.
    Yeah, but they weren't fit anywhere near often enough. Same applies to Gough, Fraser has a case but not IMO a convincing one, having taken less than half as many wickets. I'm giving the man credit for getting through 99 tests bowling pace to a very, very good standard. England haven't had a player who's even come close to being able to do that.

    Even if you want to completely ignore longevity and fitness, he still has a better record than any Englishman when you consider the Flat Pitches Theorem in reverse (which nobody ever seems to want to do, for some reason).

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah, but they weren't fit anywhere near often enough. Same applies to Gough, Fraser has a case but not IMO a convincing one, having taken less than half as many wickets. I'm giving the man credit for getting through 99 tests bowling pace to a very, very good standard.
    Well for one its not as if 99 test like a McGrath where he was a world-class bowler. He had a very small peak, for the majority of his career he was a workhorse. His peak for one was not better than Gough & Caddick at all IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    England haven't had a player who's even come close to being able to do that.

    Even if you want to completely ignore longevity and fitness, he still has a better record than any Englishman when you consider the Flat Pitches Theorem in reverse (which nobody ever seems to want to do, for some reason).
    Whats this reverse Flat pitches theorem?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. good article on lara v. tendulkar
    By Bapu Rao Swami in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 09:29 PM
  2. How to get a good 2 runs maybe 4
    By kevinpietersen in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-07-2009, 01:40 PM
  3. slogging middle&leg good length
    By phoenix373 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 01:24 PM
  4. **Dev League Season 7**
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Development League
    Replies: 2692
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •