• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just how good is Ntini?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Broadly and fairly simply speaking, England and Wales (Scotland is slightly different, as is Northern Ireland) has:

For criminal law:
Magistrates courts
The Crown Court

For civil law:
The Small Claims Court which is an affiliate of
The County Court

There is then:
The High Court (which has Family, Queen Bench and Chancery divisions)
The Court of Appeal (which has civil and criminal divisions)
and
The House Of Lords

But the ECJ (European Court of Justice) holds higher authority than any UK court.

I'm sure Mr. z would be able to give a more cogent explanation than that, but I doubt too many are terribly interested anyway. :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
"Yes, he was a violent murderer when he first came to the attention of police, but he was clearly picked by them when he was too young, while experiencing a recurrence of a back injury. If we look at his behaviour from September 2001 to May 2008, he was an exemplary citizen, excepting the periods Feb 2002, and June-August 2006, when again he was troubled by his back injury and not his normal self. Now, I know that he's killed some Bangladeshis, but I don't consider that that should carry the formal status of murder and always exclude such events as meaningless"

Sorry Rich, hard to resist sometimes... :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The process of reform is continuing apace, but has not been carried-out with the swiftness originally desired - the plan had been for it to be complete in 2009.

But yes, when all is eventually done as the (I forget exactly which) Act has decreed, the Supreme Court will indeed take the House Of Lords' place as the highest court in the land.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Yes, he was a violent murderer when he first came to the attention of police, but he was clearly picked by them when he was too young, while experiencing a recurrence of a back injury. If we look at his behaviour from September 2001 to May 2008, he was an exemplary citizen, excepting the periods Feb 2002, and June-August 2006, when again he was troubled by his back injury and not his normal self. Now, I know that he's killed some Bangladeshis, but I don't consider that that should carry the formal status of murder and always exclude such events as meaningless"

Decent effort, but it'd be top-rank if Neil Pickup hadn't posted basically the same thing back in 2004.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain

:laugh:

bagapath

International Captain

how about "the county court thinks he is not guilty; the high court wants to hang him. but just because the high court is considered by everyone to be of higher authority doesnt mean the county court is inferior. in fact, back in the 1960s some county courts did boast of better qualified judges than the high courts. anyone who thinks high court's ruling deserves to be implemented over the county court's is obviously insane"

Daryl Harper

School Boy/Girl Captain