• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.9

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Had Marshall at 6 personally, surprised he didn't end up a few spots lower than 9th though.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only fair way to do it is to asses his ability against that of his contemporaries. Hence, Grace rules.

I had Imran at 4, ftr.
Had Imran at 4 as well, Marshall at 8. Great to see a Hampshire player in the top 10.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Must say that when I did the Lord's tour, I found looking at the statue of Marshall bowling with one hand in plaster a more spiritual sort of experience than seeing the Ashes.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but Marshall played for Waverley out here in the 80s. He was playing vs Fairfield, for whom a mate of mine was batting.

Now, this mate of mine was a decent first grader and batted in the middle order, but as he explained to me, really it was just about surviving, and not in the losing your wicket sense - he'd hardly got a bat on anything (which is understandable).

This match was also somewhat unusual because there was a lady umpire standing, iirc she was the first female umpre in Sydney first grade. Marshall is consistently beating the bat ball after ball and, in keeping with his competitiveness, he really started getting the Tom **** with this mate of mine.

Eventually, this mate of mine nicks one through to the 'keeper, and the Waverley boys all go up as one. Problem is, in keeping with his being an Australian this mate of mine decides not to walk (it was his habit, rather than a conscious decision - had he made a conscious decision, he told me he'd have walked). The decision was "not out".

Well, apparently all hell broke loose. Marshall was furious - "You're kidding man! No way man!" Then the ominous "Next ball man - Hand to head!"

It's fair to say by this time my mate was somewhat, well let's say unsettled. So Marshall goes back to his full run and absolutely steams in. As he's running in, this mate of mine, who had one of the more lovely upright stances you'd wish to see, could be seen crouching lower and lower. To the point where, in his own estimation, by the time Marshall let the ball go, his head was probably below bail height.

Of course Marshall, being the legnd that he is, didn't bowl a beamer. Just the fastest bouncer this mate of mine ever saw. Happily for my mate, he was bowled neck and crop later in the over.

Also loved the story of Marshall in Brisbane when Boonie got a 50 in his debut match - "Well batted Boonie. Now are you going to get out, or do I have to come around the wicket and kill you?" Great stuff.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
i remember colin croft writing about maco somewhere... he says marshall became a complete fast bowler because he took the aggression from him (croft), rhythm from holding, accuracy from garner and versatility from roberts

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would pick the great Malcolm Marshall ahead of Warne or Murali, would have liked to see him in the top 6 or 7