Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Can any one tell me what the hell Ponting is talking about ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    If that is a disgrace so are NZ pitches of 2003 and every Perth pitch before 2000 eventually calmed it down.
    NZ 03 maybe, although i think historically that how NZ conditions are. Almost like playing on a traditional headingley greentop.

But definately not Perth. West Indies may have smoked AUS alot during during the 70s & 80s, but batsmen have been able to score hundreds in Perth over the years alot. See here

Mumbai 04 was crazy. The new ball the was helping the seamers & turning square on day 1. Thats not common for day 1 wicket. As i said Mumbai 01 vs AUS & even Mumbai 06 vs ENG, although it was raging turner those where far more evenly balanced test wickets.

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Just looking at statistics, percentage of draws in different regions is not going to help simply because there is a lot behind the blanket term "draw"

There are different kinds of draws. There is a draw where rain plays foul like the Napier test. Surely you cant blame the pitch for that..NZ were going to win that math easily had it not been for rain.
    Then there are draws where 5 days are simply not enough like the 2nd test match between Australia and West Indies...there was a decent battle between bat and ball...just didnt finish within 5 days.
    Then there are the draws such as this this and this

This is no contest between bat and ball at all. The matches here would probably not even end on the 8th day.

Bringing Bangladesh into the equation is also unconvincing because there are doubts about Bangladesh's competetiveness at this level..if Sri Lanka and India play in Bangladesh, then we can correctly assess the condition of the pitches there.

So dont just look at the statistics and make your arguments here. You need to look beyond the figures and numbers at most times..
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    NZ 03 maybe, although i think historically that how NZ conditions are. Almost like playing on a traditional headingley greentop.
    It is funny how you make excuses and site conditions for the pitches in NZ yet conveniently ignore the fact that has been mentioned countless times that Mumbai had one of the worst rain fall in 2004 and it rained on the first day of the test match as well. Whole first day was washed out from what I remember.

Note :- I went and looked for the test and I am almost right, only 11 overs bowled on day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    It is funny how you make excuses and site conditions for the pitches in NZ
    Yo where did i make excuses for NZ condtions there?. I used the words "MAYBE" & "I THINK". Which clearly suggest uncertainly on my part.

yet conveniently ignore the fact that has been mentioned countless times that Mumbai had one of the worst rain fall in 2004 and it rained on the first day of the test match as well. Whole first day was washed out from what I remember.

Note :- I went and looked for the test and I am almost right, only 11 overs bowled on day 1.
    You putting words into my mouth now or what? haaa. Where did i deny this i know all of this i watched the entire test. That first day rainfall didn't change the pitch from being far more bowler friendly than usual.

Which in comparison to other Mumabi tests i have seen live AUS 2001 & ENG 06, SA 00 (vaguely). Those pitches just where ranging turners, but the batsmen had a chance.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Yo where did i make excuses for NZ condtions there?. I used the words "MAYBE" & "I THINK". Which clearly suggest uncertainly on my part.

You putting words into my mouth now or what? haaa. Where did i deny this i know all of this i watched the entire test. That first day rainfall didn't change the pitch from being far more bowler friendly than usual.

Which in comparison to other Mumabi tests i have seen live AUS 2001 & ENG 06, SA 00 (vaguely). Those pitches just where ranging turners, but the batsmen had a chance.
    Then how the hell did the weather change the NZ pitches in 2003 alone???????
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Then how the hell did the weather change the NZ pitches in 2003 alone???????
    I dont know WTF you are talking about...

Banned
    I dont know WTF you are talking about...
    Couldn't you have admitted this a while back and save us the typing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    England is fine. WIndies and India have the worst pitches, with regards to getting a result.
    And of Course Windies is part of the Subcontinent.

Let me guess how dubya figured that out ? West Indies must be in the west of India.

Bold part is the excuse you are trying to suggest in your mind.

First Day Rainfal didn't change the pitch ? And you know this because you are a pitch expert or soil expert ?

Once again you forget to include the heavy rains and continue to bring Mumbai pitch as an example of whatever you are trying to argue.

Evil Scotsman
    Didn't heavy rains prior to the Mumbai Test in 04 mean that the groundsman had pretty much no time to do any preparation on the wicket whatsoever?

Cricket Champion!
    And of Course Windies is part of the Subcontinent.

Let me guess how dubya figured that out ? West Indies must be in the west of India.
    No, but India and Pakistan are. So, you're still amongst the worst in terms of draws. Get over it.

Sometimes I feel if Tendulkar said this people would have accepted it and even gave him a pat on the back for his honesty. Most of the problem here is because Ponting said it. And to me, it's kind of irrelevant since whoever says it, it is true.
    ★★★★★

Banned
    No, but India and Pakistan are. So, you're still amongst the worst in terms of draws. Get over it.

Sometimes I feel if Tendulkar said this people would have accepted it and even gave him a pat on the back for his honesty. Most of the problem here is because Ponting said it. And to me, it's kind of irrelevant since whoever says it, it is true.
    Partly true. "Casuing death of cricket" part is just to cause a stir.

Cricket Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Partly true. "Casuing death of cricket" part is just to cause a stir.
    Asked about his thoughts on the 'death of Test cricket', Ponting said, "I can understand where a lot of negative stuff might start because there's not a lot of results being achieved on the sub-continent these days.

I don't think there is anything too malicious in that.

Banned
    Asked about his thoughts on the 'death of Test cricket', Ponting said, "I can understand where a lot of negative stuff might start because there's not a lot of results being achieved on the sub-continent these days.

I don't think there is anything too malicious in that.
    It is an ill informed opinion and given his past it is understandable. He is right about the higher number of draws in the subcontinent. However he is wrong in suggesting that is the reason for death of cricket. Am I clear Ikki?

Cricket Champion!
    I don't think he actually suggested it at all. He infers that the talk about "death of test cricket" is negative but thinks it inevitably starts because of the kind of stalemates in the SC.

What's probably more important is when Ponting was "asked his thoughts" how exactly was he asked?

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information