• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Come vote on the 90s and 00s banlist draft final teams

Which team do you think would be the most successful?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bunny

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Nah :p

Out of interest, who do you think is the second best team (after your own)?
Marc and Blakus. Although I must say that when I was picking in rounds 1 and 2 I didnt realize that one could go for players who didnt even play 20 or so matches in the 90s/00s. Otherwise I'd have ended up with a few players from Blakus' team :)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah :p

Out of interest, who do you think is the second best team (after your own)?
This draft really was high quality. I'm not sure. I keep thinking Bunny, NUFAN, Matt and maybe even others. I need to think more and absorb which team I think best represents the overall package.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Marc and Blakus. Although I must say that when I was picking in rounds 1 and 2 I didnt realize that one could go for players who didnt even play 20 or so matches in the 90s/00s. Otherwise I'd have ended up with a few players from Blakus' team :)
But you see that's the thing. really anyone who's played just 10 or 15 Tests is largely unproven and performances before 1 Jan 1990 do not count at all, at least for me.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
I swear I didn't just enter the thread and reflexively vote for myself without bothering to read anything. :ph34r:

Honestly though, I do believe my team is as good as anyone's. And whats wrong with voting for yourself? Shows good self esteem. Prepared to back yourself and all that.

Have to say that it's tough choosing between teams. I think I like Nufans the best (after mine of course). Its flexible in both the bowling and batting and has a man for every situation.

bunny

But you see that's the thing. really anyone who's played just 10 or 15 Tests is largely unproven and performances before 1 Jan 1990 do not count at all, at least for me.
Yeah that's true. Anyway the good thing was that it was a fun draft, and the great thing is that most think they chose the best (or at leas the 2nd best) team :)

I think everyone had fun, and gave the draft a good shot. Thanks Stephen for thinking up of this draft.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Went for Matt's team. The only thing that I don't like about it is the fact that I don't really rate Flower's wicket keeping at all, but I still had it just shaving NUFAN's because it's so awesome in every other department.

stephen

Yeah that's true. Anyway the good thing was that it was a fun draft, and the great thing is that most think they chose the best (or at leas the 2nd best) team :)

I think everyone had fun, and gave the draft a good shot. Thanks Stephen for thinking up of this draft.
Awww thanks. Everyone appreciates a little flattery every now and then. Doing a good job at buttering me up for my vote :laugh:

I really enjoyed running this draft and maybe after Christmas I'll run another one. I probably put in way too much time to these things, researching the players and dissecting their careers to the nth degree trying to work out whether player a is marginally better than player b despite their identical averages and runs scored etc...

Matt79

Global Moderator
Went for Matt's team. The only thing that I don't like about it is the fact that I don't really rate Flower's wicket keeping at all, but I still had it just shaving NUFAN's because it's so awesome in every other department.
Fortunately I have a decent stand by if Andy's not performing with the gloves. :dry:

Blakus

State Vice-Captain

AWTA (Am I using this right? Haven't really seen this acronym outside of this forum)

Has been lots of fun and well worth joining CW for.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, thanks Stephen, been a good draft.

And I thought your team was also very good, could easily have picked it ahead of Marcs. I think it has the best pace attack of the teams, under the criteria of the draft.

bunny

Awww thanks. Everyone appreciates a little flattery every now and then. Doing a good job at buttering me up for my vote :laugh:
Oh I still think that everyone should vote for their own team if they think that's the best.

stephen

If anyone was keen I would really love it to see these teams go through a simulator. I reckon it'd be a very tight contest. Would have loved it if these teams were actually real and all playing at once. Would be a fantastic era of world cricket with (IMO) no clearly dominant side.

Shri

Mr. Glass
You can't go into an election and vote for your opponents. I voted for myself.:p

Draft was well run and managed, good work. No confusion from start to finish. Enjoyed it without losing interest.

bunny

If anyone was keen I would really love it to see these teams go through a simulator. I reckon it'd be a very tight contest. Would have loved it if these teams were actually real and all playing at once. Would be a fantastic era of world cricket with (IMO) no clearly dominant side.
One can try out a simulator. Pick a random country to pick the match in.
For any team the batting score = sum for each batsman, the avg in that country (if not too many matches played there pick the lower of the avg in that country, and overall average). Similarly bowling average (for bowling only pick the top 4 best in that country). Whoever has the highest batting/bowling wins for that country.
We can have a knockout.

If you want to really simulate a match, then good luck :)

stephen

One can try out a simulator. Pick a random country to pick the match in.
For any team the batting score = sum for each batsman, the avg in that country (if not too many matches played there pick the lower of the avg in that country, and overall average). Similarly bowling average (for bowling only pick the top 4 best in that country). Whoever has the highest batting/bowling wins for that country.
We can have a knockout.

If you want to really simulate a match, then good luck :)
In some other threads I've seen people run tournaments with a simulator, where they get full test match scorecards out of them. I don't know how they do it, but it would be really cool if someone would :ph34r:

Blakus

State Vice-Captain

I really enjoyed running this draft and maybe after Christmas I'll run another one. I probably put in way too much time to these things, researching the players and dissecting their careers to the nth degree trying to work out whether player a is marginally better than player b despite their identical averages and runs scored etc...
That's half the fun tbh.

Also I've thought of a few draft ideas too. Specifically, an alphabet draft and a 'genuine' draft.
In the alphabet draft, everyone has to compose a team which features 22 letters using first and last names eg. Ashley Giles gives you A and G.
And in the genuine draft everyone would be given money and pick players who are given ratings based on stats eg. Batting average of 50 or greater = $400000 etc

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
bunny

Graeme Smith
Saeed Anwar
Simon Katich
Allan Border (c) (45 Matches, 2686 runs, 43.32 ave, 4 100s)
Salim Malik
Robin Smith
Brendon McCullum (wk)
Merv Hughes
Anil Kumble
Ian Bishop
Curtly Ambrose

Good bowling attack, with an all time great and two in the very very good category (esp. a pre-injury Bishop).. Batting order solid rather than flashy.. Can't see too many of them take the game away from the opposition and the couple who can weren't exactly that consistent. But with that bowling, you juz need the batting to be good and gritty and that it will definitely be. Easily among the stronger sides in this competition for me.

GingerFurball

Tillakaratne Dilshan
Gary Kirsten
Justin Langer
Mohammad Azharuddin (c)
Mark Waugh
VVS Laxman
Chris Cairns
Ian Healy (wk)
Brett Lee
Mohammad Asif
Glenn McGrath
Wonderful batting line up.. Personally, might just have taken someone else instead of TilDil and have Kirsten and Langer open. But TilDil will bring some firepower to the side. Bowling line up a bit one dimensional but Mark Waugh and TilDil can provide a good 10 to 15 overs of offspin every day. Equally strong in batting and bowling AFAIC (Asif and McGrath could mean death to almost any attacking batsman :) )..

metallics2006

Matthew Hayden
Phil Jaques
Daryll Cullinan
Damien Martyn
Andrew Symonds
Daniel Vettori (c)
MS Dhoni (wk)
Fanie de Villiers
Javagal Srinath
Makhaya Ntini
Alan Donald

Again equally strong batting and bowling... But for me, slightly weak, esp. on a turner... Can't bank on Dan and Symmo alone, can you?

Marc71178

Gautam Gambhir
Chris Gayle
Rahul Dravid
Graeme Thorpe
Michael Clarke
Ashwell Prince
Jack Russell (wk)
Shane Warne (c)
Stuart Clark
Jason Gillespie
Angus Fraser

Really like the balance of this one.. Good openers, an all time great #3 and a good middle order with Clarke the most likely to be the aggressive game breaking batsman.. Solid wicket keeper and a solid bowling attack.. Gillespie to be the X factor among the pacemen with dependable Clark and Fraser around him and then Warne to weave his magic. He would also have decent left arm and off spin options in Gayle and Clarke and that is why I feel this side is excellently balanced.

NUFAN

Michael Atherton
Virender Sehwag
Stephen Fleming (c)
Kevin Pietersen
Jacques Kallis
Aravinda de Silva
Brad Haddin (wk)
Mitchell Johnson
Chaminda Vaas
Saqlain Mushtaq
Shane Bond

Have mentioned that I like the variety in that batting line up.. Seems like we get a solid one for every aggressive one there.. Bowling attack is good too with a lot of match winners there and the solid Vaas providing back up along with Kallis. Would have thought he would pick a leggie more than an offie though.. As he already has two decent offies and a very occassional offie there with De Silva, Sehwag and KP...

stephen

Michael Slater
Marcus Trescothick
Herschelle Gibbs
Brian Lara
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Hashan Tillakaratne
Mark Boucher (wk)
Harbhajan Singh
Craig McDermott (47 Matches, 211 wickets @ 26.52, 4.49 wpm)
Dale Steyn
Courtney Walsh (c)

I am always biased towards the side with BCL but even otherwise, it is a very interesting mix. I might just be tempted to play Lara at 3, Chanders at 4, Herschelle at 5 and Tillakaratne at 6 but good bowlers complementing a very good batting side. Among the top contenders for me.

BoyBrumby

Desmond Haynes (31 Matches, 2147 runs, 44.72 ave, 6 100s)
Navjot Sidhu (38 Matches, 2517 runs, 44.94 ave, 7 100s)
Ricky Ponting
SR Tendulkar
Mahela Jayawardene (c)
MEK Hussey
AJ Stewart (wk)
BM McMillan
PR Reiffel
SP Jones
Shoaib Ahktar
Excellent side. If it had a decent proper spinner, would have EASILY been the winner for me. Solid openers, all timers at 3 and 4 and great averages at 5 and 6 and a guy with 7000+ test runs at 7 as the keeper... Decent batsmen all the way down to 9 and an interesting pace attack. Feel the lack of spinner will hurt though.. :(

Matt79

Andrew Strauss
Michael Vaughan (c)
Kumar Sangakkara
Younis Khan
Sourav Ganguly
Andy Flower (wk)
Andrew Flintoff
Wasim Akram
Heath Streak
Damien Fleming
Stuart MacGill

Big fan of the balance of this side. Guys can get test hundreds all the down to 9. Would probably bat Andy Flower ahead of Ganguly but decent bowling options as well.. Attacking spinner in MacGill to be complemented by Vaughan.. Excellent side.

Somerset

John Wright (18 matches, 1662 runs, 55.40 ave, 5 hundreds)
Graham Gooch
Martin Crowe (c) (32 matches, 2317 runs, 45.43 ave, 7 hundreds)
David Gower (11 matches, 848 runs, 53.00 ave, 3 hundreds)
AB de Villiers (wk)
Thilan Samaraweera
Imran Khan (9 matches, 545 runs @ 60.55, 8 wickets @ 29.62, 0.89 wpm)
Kapil Dev (28 matches, 1002 runs @ 31.31, 75 wickets @ 32.24, 2.68 wpm)
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan
Bruce Reid (9 matches, 51 wickets @ 18.58)

So hard to judge this side on the 90s alone.. Still feel is an awesome side but the majority being pretty old guys with very few games in the 90s would probably put off the guys when rating this side. Otherwise, a side fit to take on any all time XI IMHO.

Blakus

Mark Taylor (c)
Sanath Jayasuriya
Inzamam ul Haq
Mohammad Yousuf
Steve Waugh
Darren Lehmann
Richard Hadlee (7 matches, 240 runs @ 34.28, 35 wickets @ 23.2, 5 wpm)
Shaun Pollock
Prasanna Jayawardene (wk)
Malcolm Marshall (15 matches, 372 runs @ 18.6, 50 wickets @ 23.54, 3.3 wpm)
Darren Gough
Good side again.. Decent openers and a great middle order with a couple of all timers for the allrounders slot.. Lack of spin on a turner the only real weakness I can see..

Overall, I am really torn as all the guys have done a wonderful job in making the best of their picks.. The toughest draft in a very long while I have seen to judge.. I am still gonna go with Matt79... It has decent options for every sort of track imaginable..

Would love to sim these games in ICC or something..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wonderful batting line up.. Personally, might just have taken someone else instead of TilDil and have Kirsten and Langer open. But TilDil will bring some firepower to the side.
That's the plan and with Langer at 3, there's a bit of solidity with him and Kirsten should Dilshan fail early.

Bit dissapointed in not getting a spinner, however in seam friendly conditions my bowling attack will run riot.

Edit: did quite nicely in terms of batting though, that middle order IMO is the most attractive of the sides.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's half the fun tbh.

Also I've thought of a few draft ideas too. Specifically, an alphabet draft and a 'genuine' draft.
In the alphabet draft, everyone has to compose a team which features 22 letters using first and last names eg. Ashley Giles gives you A and G.
And in the genuine draft everyone would be given money and pick players who are given ratings based on stats eg. Batting average of 50 or greater = $400000 etc
One that I thought may work would be an IPL-style auction. Every player has the same amount of cash and submits a silent bid for so many players in an auction round.

11 rounds in total (each maybe with similar players to ensure squad balance?)