• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradman to Sehwag - Redefining Great Batsmanship Through Defying Tradition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeevan

International 12th Man
His SR is higly irrelevant in test cricket. So i dont know what relevance bringing it up will prove.

WTF?? Which game do you watch aussie?

Take the most recent test innings he's played: Sri Lanka had scored alost 400. India took a lead of ~330 runs on the back of his 293 scored at SR of 115. SL scored 310 in return and were defeated by an innings and a few with play going on to the morning of day 5.

Had he scored at a more Ponting-like pace (55), India's lead in that same time would've been ~ 150 if he'd faced the same number of balls. SL not only would've not lost by an innings - they'd be in with a shout on saving the match itself. India chasing 387 in the 4th innings with ~ 115 overs or so, is another instance where his SR practically won us that one. 2 test matches in the past 12 months, just off the top of my head.

On one hand folks complain about too many draws, especially in the subcontinent. OTOH when someone like Sehwag forces the pace and drives towards results - some of same folks now say the pace at which the game in played is irrelevant?

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
translation, SJS?

Does it mean this?

Those who were selling medicine have not taken it themselves?
Sounds more like: Those who were selling medicine, they have taken their shop forward.
I.e. SJS has moved on from what he started.

(Maybe folks collectively ignoring aussie when he makes these ridiculous assertions is a tactic worth trying out.)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ret said:
And what has this got to do with the discussion? If you are trying to show that Sehwag has more technical flaws then it becomes a subjective issue as technique and defination of good technique can change. Playing new ball in early morning with bowlers fresh is usually a challenge no matter where you play and Sehwag has done that successfully, whcih is what counts

Well IMO he has very average technique when facing the very good fast-bowlers early in his innings in on sporting wickets or flat decks that has troubled him countless times. SJS himself did not deny this:

SJS said:
So I accept that his present style of batting will be found wanting in bowler friendly conditions. I don,t need to be told that. In fact, I bemoan the fact that such conditions do not exist. I wish they did so that not just Sehwag but even the Tednulkar's and Pontings besides the lesser batsmen of the day, had to raise their game a few notches higher and that would be cricket I would wake up whole nights to watch. Today I dont watch it much even though I am retired. So I am not in disagreement about batting tracks, his relative vulnerability in bowling conditions but why should he not bat like he does if such conditions are so rare that he can averages in the fifties, score double and triple hundreds and do it at a run a ball?

Thats all I am trying to say.
Plus for more proof. Look at these cricinfo descriptions of him being dismissed that way over the years.

cricinfo said:
1. Mumbai 2004

Gambhir, Virender Sehwag's Delhi team-mate, thus became his fifth opening partner, but the association didn't get off to the most auspicious start. Gambhir flicked the first ball he faced, a leg-stump half-volley from McGrath, on to Simon Katich's shin at forward short leg, and after a single to fine leg had taken him off strike, Sehwag slashed the first ball he faced to gully where Hauritz put down a sharp chance to his left.

Another uppish prod past the slip cordon suggested that Sehwag was living dangerously, and McGrath was soon to get his man. After a straight-drive was stroked back at him, McGrath feigned an angry throw back to Adam Gilchrist while catching Sehwag's eye. The next ball was full, moved in slightly off the seam and Sehwag's airy swish did nothing but provide a yawning chasm between pad and bat for the ball to pass through before it cannoned into the stumps.

cricinfo said:
2. Karachi 2006

Mohammad Asif to Sehwag, OUT, gone! this is seam bowling at its best! good length delivery, pitched in line with the off stump and seaming in late, Sehwag is comprehensively beaten and the ball crashes into the woodwork, India two down and in deep trouble here

V Sehwag b Mohammad Asif 4 (9m 5b 1x4 0x6) SR: 80.00

cricinfo said:
3. Nagpur 2006

Hoggard to Sehwag, OUT, bowled'm! good length delivery, the one that nips back into the right-hander, Sehwag drives on the up, ball moves in just enough to beat the bat and sneaks in through the gap between bat and pad, stumps are shattered and Sehwag walks back for a duck! India one down!

V Sehwag b Hoggard 0 (19m 13b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

cricinfo said:
4. Mohali 2006

Harmison to Sehwag, OUT, gone!!! Sehwag goes for a low score yet agiain, a short one nails him this time, Harmison follows his bouncer with yet another short delivery, rising just about Sehwag's shoulder height, Sehwag goes back to defend but plays the wrong line, the ball kisses the glove on the way through to Geriant Jones, its first blow by England!

V Sehwag c †Jones b Harmison 11 (19m 13b 2x4 0x6) SR: 84.61

cricinfo said:
5. Mumabi 2006

Hoggard to Sehwag, OUT, first strike! short rising delivery, pitched outside the off stump and coming in with the angle, too good a delivery for Sehwag, who fends at it awkwardly, ball clips the shoulder of the bat and goes straight to Shah at first slip, that's big wicket - India in trouble here!

V Sehwag c Shah b Hoggard 6 (27m 15b 1x4 0x6) SR: 40.00

cricinfo said:
Anderson to Sehwag, OUT, another one bites the dust! good length delivery, pitched close to the off stump line and reversing in, Sehwag is bit late on it and the ball hits the pad plumb in front of the stumps, bowling change works for Flintoff, India six down.

V Sehwag lbw b Anderson 0 (20m 16b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

cricinfo said:
6. Kingston 06

Taylor to Sehwag, OUT, he's gone! India two down! Sabina Park is aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive! Delivered from wide of the stumps, full and quick, jags in from off and traps Sehwag right in front of the stumps, that ball kept low and Sehwag is clueless, everyone up in appeal and the umpire raises the dreaded finger, West Indies on a roll, Taylor on fire, India have plenty to ponder, their second-innings record seems to be catching up...what a start, make that 22 wickets in a day-and-a-half, folks...dont move from your seats

V Sehwag lbw b Taylor 4 (32m 6b 1x4 0x6) SR: 66.66

cricnfo said:
Durban 2006

Ntini to Sehwag, OUT, Gone this time! Straight to Smith at first slip. Lands on a length, outside the offstump, comes in a touch, Sehwag jabs at it as he plays slightly inside the line, bat brushes the pad before making contact, and the outer edge is swallowed up by Smith. SA celebrate and why not. India lose their first wicket. India need another 340 runs, SA need 9 wickets.

V Sehwag c Smith b Ntini 8 (17m 11b 1x4 0x6) SR: 72.72

cricinfo said:
Ahmedabad 2008

Steyn to Sehwag, OUT, what an important wicket for South Africa! Steyn pitches it outside off and gets it to come back inwards, Sehwag shapes to cut but is cramped for room and he manages a thick inside edge onto his offstump

V Sehwag b Steyn 6 (23m 12b 1x4 0x6) SR: 50.00

cricinfo said:
Ntini to Sehwag, OUT, first blood to Ntini, he delivers that from wide of the crease and lands it on a good length just outside the line of offstump and gets it to move in slightly with the angle, Sehwag gets a half stride forward and meets the ball in the middle of the pads in line with middle and leg stumps, Hill is convinced

V Sehwag lbw b Ntini 17 (32m 20b 1x4 2x6) SR: 85.00

cricinfo said:
Kanpur 2008

Steyn to Sehwag, OUT, lbw! South Africa are thrilled! Steyn follows several short balls with a good length one that pitches just outside off and angles into the right-hander, Sehwag hardly moves his feet while trying to defend and gets hit in line with off stump, that ball is heading for middle stump and Asad Rauf raises the finger in a flash

V Sehwag lbw b Steyn 8 (21m 14b 2x4 0x6) SR: 57.14

cricinfo said:
Delhi 2008

Lee to Sehwag, OUT, and he's gone! Lee strikes, rapping a leaden-footed Sehwag on the crease, he didn't move his feet at all, bat coming down way too late as the ball pitches on a length and strikes him on the front pad in front of middle and leg, Lee is off in celebration and Aleem Dar raises the finger

V Sehwag lbw b Lee 1 (10m 2b 0x4 0x6) SR: 50.00

cricinfo said:
Lee to Sehwag, OUT, bowled 'em! Lee dislodges Sehwag for the second time in the match, pitching on a fuller length and getting the ball to nip back in a shade, Sehwag's feet go nowhere and he gets a little inside edge back onto the stumps

V Sehwag b Lee 16 (37m 17b 2x4 0x6) SR: 94.11
This test pitch was road. But Lee wasn't exactly bowling well, but he was still able to expose him technically in both innings.

cricinfo said:
Chennai 2008

Anderson to Sehwag, OUT, Anderson's got Sehwag playing a feeble shot! Pitches back of a length and comes into Sehwag, who stands leaden-footed and tries to play a cramped guide to third man but only chops it back onto his stumps .. Anderson is thrilled, for thats a dangerous man to dismiss early

V Sehwag b Anderson 9 (24m 16b 2x4 0x6) SR: 56.25

cricinfo said:
Welegedara to Sehwag, OUT, long thought and then its given! Welegedara pitches it on about middle and off, 134k, just shapes it in wee bit and strikes Sehwag flush on the front pad as he gets two-thirds forward, bat just late to come down, and after taking some time to ascertain whether there was any bat on it Tony Hill raises his finger, and on replays it shows he is spot on, that was hitting middle and off

V Sehwag lbw b Welegedara 16 (31m 11b 3x4 0x6) SR: 145.45

ret said:
Which inning of which test? (you have to be specific)
HAA. I said once SA carry a full-strenght bowling attack like what they did when they toured IND in 08 & get similar conditions to what they got in the final 2 test of that series. I will back Steyn & co to expose him again.

ret said:
you should have added "in my opinion" to that^
I would think its a fairly unanimous opinion among many that Ponting, Dravid & KP are proven againts quality pace attacks in bowler friendly conditions.

ret said:
Neither do I admit or deny it as I don't have enough recollection of that series but iirc that was a period where he wasn't at his best (but he still managed to get a couple of big scores) which led to him getting dropped

I definately agree that "you dont have enough recollection of that series" since you are totally off.

In the previous series before ENG 05/06 he faced PAK 05/06 & smoked one of the fastest ever test double centuries. As we have discussed before he failed on the only bowler friendly wicket of that series in the final test in Karachi.

So clearly he went into that series vs ENG 05/06 in TOP FORM. What occured is just that he was owned technically by the England pacers. Simple.

ret said:
So? Makes a big differece to your case (shows your desperation to me when you go for looking for points like that) .... and correct me, oh yeah
:laugh:. Yo there is no desperation on my part. You want to know what im doing now, watching the PAK vs AUS test & turking PS3.

Just lets me clear finally on the circumstances of Adelaide 09:

- Sehwag played very well, i dont discredit his innings & i never have
- It was a flat deck (thus in innings disqualifies under the criteria "runs againts quality pace-attacks in bowler-friendly conditions.
- India where never in danger of losing the test

ret said:
again you should add "in my opinion" to that
HA. Well sir let me give you a lesson on why that AUS attack in 03/04 was an average attack on those flat pitches:

1. Gillespie: He played the entire series injured & was below his best (he missed the MCG test of that series because of this).

2. Lee: In 2003/04 was a poor test bowler. Lee in general between Ashes 2001 to 2005 was a poor test bowler where he averaged 38 with the ball. Every Australian fan or anyone who has followed Lee's career in general would know this.

3. Bichel was always an average test bowler. On those flat pitches in 03/04 he never had the skills to bowl on those wickets, thus struggled againts the Indian batsmen.

4. MacGill. Although a very solid back-up to Warne (especially on matches played at the Sydney Cricket ground). He was always dominated by very goor players of spin & IND exposed him in 2003/04.

5. Bracken & Williams . Although they earnt a place in that series after destroying IND in the TVS Cup ODI series just before that tour began. As the always say "ODI from doesn't equal test success". They didn't translate their ODI form from the TVS to the tests & where average.

Hopefully you accept now that was average AUS attack in 03/04

ret said:
what a point to make .... so if i give credit to the opposition then my logic is shockingly poor!
It is since clearly an opposition team under such a hypotetical scenario would have found winning in IND much more easier if they didn't have to face Kumble/Harbhajan - but instead Raju & Kapoor. Theirfore that oppositions victory in IND cannot be rated highly.

Its just like when India beat England in 2007 in England. India where lucky the entire England first choice pace attack of Hoggard/Flintoff/Harmison/Jones.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Thats because everybody accepts that he is a ftb sissypants. Just stop posting already. CC it seems is way over your head.
Well maybe u have sh**ypants, given that you where in the previous discussion in the Anwar vs Sehwag thread. But as you can see it was poster ret who probably wasn't involved in that discussion, thus i had go this over again.

CC is indeed way over my head...GOD DAMNNN i love this siteee:laugh:

I might well rate him higher than Dravid(as a ftb) in the future. Dravid is good and all that shiz when the side is knee deep in cow dung but isn't as useful in batsmen friendly places where scoring quickly gives the side a chance and time to bowl the opposition out.
Can you find examples of this?. Since i find this a very weird criticism to make.

Just friggin' understand that everybody accepts that Sehwag is a ftb. I am just saying there is no better ftb than him playing tests today.
:laugh: You make it sound like if being termed a FTB is a compliment...

Okay. So you can name just 2 in the HISTORY OF THE GAME right from when it started? Nobody did what Sehwag did in the 30s or other batting friendly eras? Thank you for pointing that out.
Coincidentally the two most batting friendly eras have been this 2000s era & the 1930s & 20s. So that sort of explains why such scores have happend in these two eras alone i guess.

Thats what I have been saying sissypants, later.
Ok later sh***ypants :laugh:. This site is the bestttt!!

I don't believe this ****. I don't understand wether you are agreeing with me or arguing with me.
Totally disagreeing. Since you are overplaying the significance of him smoking those triple centuries on those flat decks.

As i said has never smoked a very good attack in helpful conditions, he has rather failed miserably when very good pace attacks get him in bowler friendly conditions.

This example with Fredericks:

me said:
You want an example of a batsman smoking a excellent/great pace attack at more than run a ball in testing conditions - see Roy Fredericks Perth 1976. Let Sehwag smoke a great attack in helpul conditions like when he scored his 317 & 254 then he will be considered a great, until then he remains the ultimate FTB of this era.
Is to give an example of another opener smoking a EXCELLENT pace attack in very bowler friendly conditions Sehwag style. Do you understand this??

Good so i'm saying i want to see Sehwag do what Fredericks did there, like Sehwag himself did when he scored his 254 & 317 & smoke a good/very good/excellent pace attack in bowler friendly conditions.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
:laugh: You make it sound like if being termed a FTB is a compliment...
For me being a ftb is better than being a nobody these days. So, yes I meant it as a compliment.

Totally disagreeing. Since you are overplaying the significance of him smoking those triple centuries on those flat decks.
Nobody else has done what he has done. If 10 or more players have done what he has done in the history of the game, you could have called my support for his batting 'overplaying', but for now, it isn't.

Good so i'm saying i want to see Sehwag do what Fredericks did there, like Sehwag himself did when he scored his 254 & 317 & smoke a good/very good/excellent pace attack in bowler friendly conditions.
Pace bowling isn't the only form of bowling in test cricket. The two most successful bowlers in terms of wickets in test cricket are Warne and Murali and Sehwag can play spin bowling better than anyone else in the business atm. Fredericks' forte was playing pace bowling, Sehwag's is playing spin.

As i said has never smoked a very good attack in helpful conditions, he has rather failed miserably when very good pace attacks get him in bowler friendly conditions.

This example with Fredericks:

Is to give an example of another opener smoking a EXCELLENT pace attack in very bowler friendly conditions Sehwag style. Do you understand this??
This example with Sehwag:

1st Test: South Africa v India at Bloemfontein, Nov 3-6, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
2nd Test: Sri Lanka v India at Galle, Jul 31-Aug 3, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Why the hell is playing pace more important to batsmen than playing spin?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
More crap. A Pollock, Ntini, Hayward, Klusener, Kallis attack is very good if not great. Any innings can be discredited by saying he was past his peak, the umpire was biased, aussie was dancing in the crowd distracting the bowler etc
*SIGHS* When i hear these comments i just know some people just dont watch cricket.

Look at this way then. The IND tour South Africa was in November 2001 right.

That SAME SA attack then played AUS in 6 test home/away between december 01 to March 02 & they where nothing but crap. If that attack was "very good" they would have done better vs AUS at that time.

Your logic is baffling. On one hand you vehemently argue that the bowlers were all either past their peaks or not peaked yet, and yet you expect Sehwag to have peaked in his first innings :laugh:
Where did i ever suggest this??. Dont put words in my mouth yo..

Is Azhar Mahmood a great batsman ? He scored 2 centuries in South Africa against Donald and Pollock with an average of 60+ from memory.
Of course not. How is this relevant?

No one's claiming that Sehwag has succeeded each and everytime when confronted with bowling friendly pitches. He has failed a few times just like every other batsman

A few?? Haa...you living in wonderland

Plus no the accepted great batsmen of this 2000s era for eg Ponting & Dravid have succeded more than they have failed againts quality pace attacks in bowler friendly conditons
But he has also succeeded a fair few times and saying he didn't is just plain ignorance.
No saying he has is plain ignornace. I will not go through this again, since i have gone to death. Read back through this thread & you will find me answering this question of Sehwag many failures in bowler freindly conditions againts good/verygood/great pace attacks.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
translation, SJS?

Does it mean this?

Those who were selling medicine have not taken it themselves?
Sounds more like: Those who were selling medicine, they have taken their shop forward.
I.e. SJS has moved on from what he started.

(Maybe folks collectively ignoring aussie when he makes these ridiculous assertions is a tactic worth trying out.)
The literal translation is :-

He (or she) who pedalled remedies for distressed hearts
He (or she) has moved onward with his (her) business

For reference to context, use the stuff between the ears. :happy:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
WTF?? Which game do you watch aussie?

Take the most recent test innings he's played: Sri Lanka had scored alost 400. India took a lead of ~330 runs on the back of his 293 scored at SR of 115. SL scored 310 in return and were defeated by an innings and a few with play going on to the morning of day 5.

Had he scored at a more Ponting-like pace (55), India's lead in that same time would've been ~ 150 if he'd faced the same number of balls. SL not only would've not lost by an innings - they'd be in with a shout on saving the match itself. India chasing 387 in the 4th innings with ~ 115 overs or so, is another instance where his SR practically won us that one. 2 test matches in the past 12 months, just off the top of my head.

On one hand folks complain about too many draws, especially in the subcontinent. OTOH when someone like Sehwag forces the pace and drives towards results - some of same folks now say the pace at which the game in played is irrelevant?
Well i have never said or suggested this & also i think you have taken that little point in made in that post wayyyy out of context.

By saying "Sehwag's SR is irrelevant" i was refering to the fact that he has never being able to replicate such a rate of scoring againts a quality pace attack in testing conditons. All have come on roads.

Even one of his better innings againts AUS @ Adelaide 09, he played pretty conservatively compared to usual almost run-a-ball/run-a-ball standards..

ret

International Debutant
Well IMO he has very average technique when facing the very good fast-bowlers early in his innings in on sporting wickets or flat decks that has troubled him countless times. SJS himself did not deny this:

Plus for more proof. Look at these cricinfo descriptions of him being dismissed that way over the years

This test pitch was road. But Lee wasn't exactly bowling well, but he was still able to expose him technically in both innings.

HAA. I said once SA carry a full-strenght bowling attack like what they did when they toured IND in 08 & get similar conditions to what they got in the final 2 test of that series. I will back Steyn & co to expose him again.

I would think its a fairly unanimous opinion among many that Ponting, Dravid & KP are proven againts quality pace attacks in bowler friendly conditions.

I definately agree that "you dont have enough recollection of that series" since you are totally off.

In the previous series before ENG 05/06 he faced PAK 05/06 & smoked one of the fastest ever test double centuries. As we have discussed before he failed on the only bowler friendly wicket of that series in the final test in Karachi.

So clearly he went into that series vs ENG 05/06 in TOP FORM. What occured is just that he was owned technically by the England pacers. Simple.

:laugh:. Yo there is no desperation on my part. You want to know what im doing now, watching the PAK vs AUS test & turking PS3.

Just lets me clear finally on the circumstances of Adelaide 09:

- Sehwag played very well, i dont discredit his innings & i never have
- It was a flat deck (thus in innings disqualifies under the criteria "runs againts quality pace-attacks in bowler-friendly conditions.
- India where never in danger of losing the test

HA. Well sir let me give you a lesson on why that AUS attack in 03/04 was an average attack on those flat pitches:

1. Gillespie: He played the entire series injured & was below his best (he missed the MCG test of that series because of this).

2. Lee: In 2003/04 was a poor test bowler. Lee in general between Ashes 2001 to 2005 was a poor test bowler where he averaged 38 with the ball. Every Australian fan or anyone who has followed Lee's career in general would know this.

3. Bichel was always an average test bowler. On those flat pitches in 03/04 he never had the skills to bowl on those wickets, thus struggled againts the Indian batsmen.

4. MacGill. Although a very solid back-up to Warne (especially on matches played at the Sydney Cricket ground). He was always dominated by very goor players of spin & IND exposed him in 2003/04.

5. Bracken & Williams . Although they earnt a place in that series after destroying IND in the TVS Cup ODI series just before that tour began. As the always say "ODI from doesn't equal test success". They didn't translate their ODI form from the TVS to the tests & where average.

Hopefully you accept now that was average AUS attack in 03/04

It is since clearly an opposition team under such a hypotetical scenario would have found winning in IND much more easier if they didn't have to face Kumble/Harbhajan - but instead Raju & Kapoor. Theirfore that oppositions victory in IND cannot be rated highly.

Its just like when India beat England in 2007 in England. India where lucky the entire England first choice pace attack of Hoggard/Flintoff/Harmison/Jones.
That's ^ a shockingly useless post when

1. I said that technique can be subjective
2. There is no point in trying to tell me what others think as I form my own opinion
3. Said that I neither accept nor deny Sehwag's weaknesses against in-coming deliveries. Even IF he has one it's fine as long as he scores big before getting out. And likes of Tendulkar and Dravid having similar weaknesses too. In short, it's NOT an issue
4. By giving those examples of Sehwag smoking Pak attack and then doing badly shows that you don't know how Sehwag's form tends to fluctuate and his tendency to get over confident and get him self out (and then get in to a rut) in past
5. I maintain my stand on Sehwag's innings! Because if he hadn't hit that inning, Ind were in serious danger of bundling out
6. The point on Aussie bowling as already been discussed so it's again one of your repetition. Also tries to ignore the parallels that were drawn
7. Stop trying to shove your opinion down ppl's throat and acting like a sore loser!

Below is another example of how this discussion is being played out

- Aussie: According to specs: Car X does 0-100kmph in 5 secs straight line, while Car Y does that in 4.8 sec, s car Y must be better

- Ret: Performance in real world can differ esp when you bring in factors like handling, performance in corners

- Aussie: Here are the specs from motor trend: Car X 5 secs, Car Y 4.8 sec

- Ret: That's fine, but as I said real world performance can vary (you can't judge a car based on just straight line performance)

- Aussie: You must be kidding, this poster said this 'blah blah' abt the specs

- Ret: That's great but I form my own opinion

- Aussie: Car and Driver has listed the specs too

- Ret: As I said, specs and real world performance can differ but yeah those specs are not bad so you can't go wrong with either car

- Aussie: So you admit that specs do matter

- Ret: They show a car's capabilities but as I said you can't judge how two cars compare based on manufacturer listed specs as some manufacturers can overstate or understate the specs. It's real world performances that should be taken in to account

- Aussie: German cars has listed the specs too. It list that X does it in 5 secs, Y does it in 4.8 sec

- Ret: As I said, it's one-dimensional to judge a car based on manufacturer based specs. You have to go by the real world performances

- Aussie: Autonews has listed the specs too. It says X 5 secs, Y 4.8 sec

- Ret: If those are the specs given by the manufacturer then they are going to list that won't they?

- Aussie: So you admit that magazines list manufacturer stated specs?

- Ret: I said that already

- Aussie: So according to those specs, you admit that car X does it in 5 sec, Y dies it in 4.8 secs

- Ret: That's what the specs say but I already gave my opinion on it and said that it's real world performances that count and you can't go 100% by manufacturers specs

- Aussie: Motor trend, Car and Driver, Germans car and that poster listed the specs which states that Car X does it in 5 secs, Y in 4.8. Do you admit that?

(in short's such kind^ of debating by you only goes against your own self rather than proving anything else to anyone)

Summery: Sehwag has nothing to prove to anyone. He can do well against any attack in any condition. As an opening batsman, his technique is tried and tested. He MAY have weaknesses (just like most other batsmen) but that's not an issue as long as he continues to do well despite those perceived weaknesses (and your point also tries to assume that he isn't aware of his weaknesses (whatever they may be) and doesn't know how to deal with them). And he has possibly yet to peak!

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
Well i have never said or suggested this & also i think you have taken that little point in made in that post wayyyy out of context.

By saying "Sehwag's SR is irrelevant" i was refering to the fact that he has never being able to replicate such a rate of scoring againts a quality pace attack in testing conditons. All have come on roads.

Even one of his better innings againts AUS @ Adelaide 09, he played pretty conservatively compared to usual almost run-a-ball/run-a-ball standards..
I went and re-read the original post just to make sure. The poster you responded to was talking of Sehwag's career SR. That's what you dismissed.

It is now that youre putting a riders on it.

(In Adelaide, with the game in balance as the rest of Indian team made ~ 120 runs, Sehwag slowed to an SR of 64 vs a career SR of 80. When Ponting has a game on the line, he's been known to slow down too - at Fataullah against the BD attack he scored at ~ SR of 46 vs career SR of 58).

ret

International Debutant
What's also funny is that is the talk about scoring highly in bowler friendly conditions against quality attack. If the quality is such then the game is likely to be a low scoring one. If ppl are scoring low (in a low scoring game) then what's the point in saying that xyz didn't score highly in it! :laugh:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The individual has already made up his mind about Sehwag that he is a flat track bully, so any thing you or anyone else is going to say that Sehwag is much more than a flat track bully is countered with a load of Bull****.

jeevan

International 12th Man
I'm in it to amuse myself over a long weekend.

But it is fun to apply aussie's selective logic to other situations in his style.

For eg he's made the assertion that the mark of a good player is performance in (1) testing conditions against (2) quality opposition. The skills of your own team mates be damned, just what the opposition puts out is all that matters.

Well, let's apply that logic to spinners shall we. For any spinners, India offers the ultimate testing conditions - i.e. condition 1. Kumble & Warne have both played 9 or 10 matches there and bowled to good batting opposition, i.e. condition #2. Kumble averages 24 at a SR of 53 and Warne averages 43 at an SR of 81.

Since we are not allowed to factor in the fact that Kumble is not bowling to Sehwag, Tendulkar & co - the only aussie-style conclusion to draw is that Warne fails to be a great bowler. Spinning out sub-standard batting sides on pitches of his liking makes him merely the spin bowling equivalent of an FTB :laugh:

[ In Australia , Warne averages 63 against India and Kumble 37. So it isnt that Kumble has only home field advantage to bank on.]

Status
Not open for further replies.