cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Gundappa Viswanath

  1. #1
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,424

    Gundappa Viswanath

    Inspired partly by Burgey's great article on Border the other day, I'd love to hear the recollections of those here who got to see Gundappa Viswanath in action. I admit I'd never heard of him until a week or two ago when I stumbled on to his profile on Cricinfo. Sounds like a great batsman and an even better bloke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  2. #2
    Cricketer Of The Year
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    9,004
    Aside from Tendulkar he had the most perfect technique of any Indian middle-order batsman. I'm surprised you haven't heard of him until recently as he's one of SJS's favourite players.

  3. #3
    International 12th Man JBMAC's Avatar
    Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Qld/Australia
    Posts
    1,638
    Saw "Vishy" in a test st the gabba. If i recall he did not like the pace of Jeff Thompson at all. Stlish though from what I remember
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

  4. #4
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,424
    Actually started the thread hoping to coax a contribution from SJS. Far be it from me to suggest he write an article like the Border one for the main page, but...

    Can't guarantee I'd never seen his name, but it never registered til the other day.


  5. #5
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,424
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    Saw "Vishy" in a test st the gabba. If i recall he did not like the pace of Jeff Thompson at all. Stlish though from what I remember
    Hardly unique I suppose. Especially for a player freshly arrived from Indian pitches to the Gabba. Thommo can't have been much fun to face!

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Europe, on the outside looking in
    Posts
    19,627
    Tiny little bloke - wristy cutter and puller who was a pleasure to watch

    ..................... not as good as our 'arry Pilling though

  7. #7
    International 12th Man JBMAC's Avatar
    Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Qld/Australia
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Hardly unique I suppose. Especially for a player freshly arrived from Indian pitches to the Gabba. Thommo can't have been much fun to face!
    I was fortunate to play both with and against JT when he first came to Brisbane and he was not only quick but very erratic which made him deadly.

  8. #8
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Thane India
    Posts
    19,319
    I saw a lot of Vishwanath in from his debut series against Lawry's Australians till his retirement both in first class cricket and Test matches.

    You have to try and imaging a batsman with all of Laxman's strokes, grace, and timing but with lovely footwork and you have an idea of how it was to see him play.

    I am amazed at JBMac's comments about hos he looked against Thomson. I have great regard for JB so I am sure its true but there has to be an explanation. Vishy was one of India's finest ever batsmen against pace bowling. He did not hook much but lateral movement whether in the air or off the wicket seemed to cause no trouble to him at all.

  9. #9
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,927
    I saw Vishwanath in a masters series and became an instant fan. His shots had a punch to it which was so ****ing awesome. One of the most under rated players and my favorite players.

  10. #10
    International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2,339
    This video shows some of Vishy's Melbourne hundred against Australia in 1981 en route to one of India's most memorable wins.

  11. #11
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Aside from Tendulkar he had the most perfect technique of any Indian middle-order batsman. I'm surprised you haven't heard of him until recently as he's one of SJS's favourite players.
    interesting. not rahul dravid?

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    interesting. not rahul dravid?
    Slightly better than Dravid i'd say. Based on what i saw on DVD "Greatest moments of Indian cricket 1932-1986". It really does look perfect.

  13. #13
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Thane India
    Posts
    19,319
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Slightly better than Dravid i'd say. Based on what i saw on DVD "Greatest moments of Indian cricket 1932-1986". It really does look perfect.
    Hmmm. I am not so sure. He was not classically perfect you know. He was kind of wristy with a strong bottom hand which meant that he relied heavily on absolutely great hands. Dravid is more orthodox which sees his bat in the right place and with the face of the blade straight more often. Players like Vishwanath are great to watch but decline very quickly once their eyes and reflexes slow down which is exactly what happened to him. It also prevented him from playing really big innings for India. For a player who was considered Gavaskar's equal (and by some as better) he had just one double century and that came on a dead track in his last year in Test cricket.

    Vishwanath is known more for being a stylish stroke player whose strength was his backfoot play. Great cutting and amazing forcing shots off the back foot through mid wicket. He went forward mostly to drive when the ball was really pitched up.

    No I would say Dravid is the better technician. I would prefer Vishwanath any day for the pleasure of watching and to counter attack great fast bowlers but give me Dravid for playing the really long innings and saving the day.
    Last edited by SJS; 13-12-2009 at 11:40 PM.

  14. #14
    International Coach Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    13,183
    one of the most stylish players of his era....wonderful to watch when in full flow, had the most awesome shots square of the wicket...for me he was one of the 3 best batsmen in the 70s for india along with gavaskar & vengsarkar...very underrated i have always felt...

  15. #15
    International 12th Man JBMAC's Avatar
    Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Qld/Australia
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I saw a lot of Vishwanath in from his debut series against Lawry's Australians till his retirement both in first class cricket and Test matches.

    You have to try and imaging a batsman with all of Laxman's strokes, grace, and timing but with lovely footwork and you have an idea of how it was to see him play.

    I am amazed at JBMac's comments about hos he looked against Thomson. I have great regard for JB so I am sure its true but there has to be an explanation. Vishy was one of India's finest ever batsmen against pace bowling. He did not hook much but lateral movement whether in the air or off the wicket seemed to cause no trouble to him at all.
    I only saw him in one Test SJS,and he looked far from comfortable against JT
    HowSTAT! Match Scorecard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •