Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 114

Thread: The CW50 - No.20-11

  1. #31
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,469
    Gilly's pretty much redefined what is expected of a wicketkeeper and is also one of the best ODI openers of all time.

    The first of those 2 definitely makes him an all time great in my opinion.

  2. #32
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I'd put Ambrose ahead of McGrath and Lillee. As much as I rate McGrath and Lillee's bowling, Ambrose was nearly the perfect fast bowler for me.

    I'd also put him ahead of Gilchrist as there were are both better batsmen and better keepers than Gilly. Obviously, the combination is ground-breaking, but I don't feel he lead the field in either discipline enough to be considered ahead of the all-time greats of either batting or bowling. I certainly don't begrudge Gilly being in there though.

    Barnes. Arguable. I prefer Ambrose as I've seen him play and he's one of the best I've seen. Its hard to assess what you've seen behind anecdotal and statistical evidence I guess.

    Murali... Well... My personal preference is to Ambrose, but I can certainly understand him being higher in the list.
    Re: Gilly - in that case, would you say that either Hadlee or Imran were good enough bowlers to deserve a place ahead of the likes of Ambrose or Murali then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  3. #33
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,142
    superb set of players....

    sean, this series has been a thumping success so far...

  4. #34
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,812
    I had:

    Botham: 13th
    Ambrose: 25th
    Gilchrist: 12th
    Hammond: 11th
    Lillee: 4th
    Lara: 22nd
    Miller: 7th
    McGrath: 9th
    Barnes: 25th
    ★★★★★


  5. #35
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,305
    Murali too low

  6. #36
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,305
    So, Sangakkara missed out altogether?

    Begs the question, would he make the list if he was still 'keeping?

  7. #37
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Re: Gilly - in that case, would you say that either Hadlee or Imran were good enough bowlers to deserve a place ahead of the likes of Ambrose or Murali then?
    Interesting question. I put Ambrose ahead of Hadlee and Imran for the very reason that their main reason for being in the team is to take wickets and I feel Ambrose was the better at it. I'm sure other people see things differently and judge on the all-round ability of the three.

    As it happens though, I always used to enjoy watching Ambrose bat. It was... entertaining?
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.


    Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

  8. #38
    Cricket Web Staff Member chasingthedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,779
    Surprised that less than half of those voting had Beefy in their top 25.

  9. #39
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Most people voting are too young to have seen him in his pomp.

  10. #40
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,506
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    So, Sangakkara missed out altogether?

    Begs the question, would he make the list if he was still 'keeping?
    If he continued to bat as good or nearly as good while keeping, I think he would have made the top 50. For mine it's just a bit of a stretch to find room for him in my 25, but if we were all selecting 50 Cricketers he might have been in with a chance.

  11. #41
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    So, Sangakkara missed out altogether?

    Begs the question, would he make the list if he was still 'keeping?
    Will be interesting to see where he places in the end. Shouldn't have been too far away. Flower missed out as well, and he had a better case for inclusion IMO (which is why I voted for him).

  12. #42
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I had:

    Botham: 13th
    Ambrose: 25th
    Gilchrist: 12th
    Hammond: 11th
    Lillee: 4th
    Lara: 22nd
    Miller: 7th
    McGrath: 9th
    Barnes: 25th
    You're slipping, Ikki. I believe I had Miller higher up than you do

    Can't believe Murali, Miller ,Gilchrist, McGrath didn't make the top 10.

  13. #43
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Will be interesting to see where he places in the end. Shouldn't have been too far away. Flower missed out as well, and he had a better case for inclusion IMO (which is why I voted for him).
    tbh I think it's crazy that Flower/Sanga miss out on the top 50 altogether while Gilchrist makes the top 20, UNLESS you make the argument that Flower/Sanga weren't really "proper" 'keepers (I can't remember exactly, but I think it's particularly hard to make this argument for Flower as he kept in a vast majority of the matches he played?).

    I know Gilchrist set a standard for ALL batsmen as far as speed of scoring, but it really irks me when I hear "Gilchrist set the standard for what is expected with the bat from 'keepers", when it's pretty clear that there were 3 players, all roughly contemporaries of each other, and all similarly prolific with the bat (and more prolific than any others before them).

    It also seems to me that Gilchrist gets rated above his contemporary batsmen as an overall cricketer because of the fact that he was a 'keeper as well. I agree with this logic but think it should also apply to Sanga and Flower- even if they didn't keep in every match -keeping in only, say, half the matches they played still counts for something imo. I think it would be perfectly tenable to say that Sanga and Flower are overall better cricketers than e.g. Ricky Ponting, because they were at least somewhat comparable as batsmen, but also kept. I'd be tempted to say the same with e.g. Sanga v Tendulkar, but then I'd really cop it....

  14. #44
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Sangakkara averaged something like 39 as keeper, TH. Might as well vote for Dhoni (who averages 60+ as captain) too while you're at it.

  15. #45
    International Coach morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    11,739
    Yeah Sanga's overrated because he's near Bradmanesque when not keeping. When keeping, Gilchrist > him, any day.

    Mind you, Flower was good, but his keeping....
    5-0

    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

    Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The CW50 - No.51...
    By The Sean in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 11:12 AM
  2. The CW50 - No.50-41
    By The Sean in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 15-12-2009, 07:01 AM
  3. The CW50 - No.30-21
    By The Sean in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 04:54 AM
  4. The CW50 - No.40-31
    By The Sean in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 01:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •